The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zero goals in two preseason games

nitti999

I don't read into the pre-season at all, especially the first few games when the roster still has a bunch of AHLers and junior players. However, this off-season Benning traded offensive skill for character, leadership, toughness and to some degree defensive skill. I fully expect our goals per game to go down this season.

Weren't the Blue Jackets 7-0-1 or something last pre season? Regardless, my concern was mainly how I kept hearing this person mumbling and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Turns out it was someone on the phone on the other side of the rink- that's how quiet it was. Other than that, it was cool to see Virtanen, Cassels had some crummy plays, and I gave Couture the finger and he shook his head. Gotta love Burr sticking up for Virtanen too.

My only concern so far is that the 10-12 NHLers in the 1st game couldn't beat a team full of ahl players, but I attribute some of that to rust. I wouldn't be suprised if we are a bottom 5 team in the league, but then again I wouldn't be shocked if we finish in the top 10.

We won the first game :)

Weren't the Blue Jackets 7-0-1 or something last pre season? Regardless, my concern was mainly how I kept hearing this person mumbling and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Turns out it was someone on the phone on the other side of the rink- that's how quiet it was. Other than that, it was cool to see Virtanen, Cassels had some crummy plays, and I gave Couture the finger and he shook his head. Gotta love Burr sticking up for Virtanen too.

Stay classy Vancouver.

This was a closer game than the score says. Dorsett had 4 glorious chances, and came away empty. I don't think Miller played well for a #1 $6 million goalie. Markstrom had a much better game in Game 1. The Sedins were decent, and Burrows tried to pick up the grit slack lost by Bieksa. Didn't work out too well. Oh well, good on him for trying to rally his team. It's not like the results matter in these games. It's all about coaches trying to find chemistry with the new players, and to see which prospects can take the next step. I thought Grenier had a really good game and Kenins did alright. I'm not sure McCann, Virtanen, Shinkaruk and Cassels are ready for the bigs just yet. I do, though, think Grenier, Kenins, Hutton and Gaunce should be given a shot. Also, weird to watch a 5 minute OT when SJ already won by 4 goals (without Thornton and Pavelski). Must've been tough for the Canucks players to get up for that. Well, glad they didn't make it 5 I suppose. I think the Canucks will be better as the preseason goes on, once most of the prospects are sent back and the regular roster players gel a little bit more. We need elite goaltending from Miller.

As long as we have Miller in net, we will never be a competitive team in the NHL. He was terrible last year and is starting the same way again. I know I know...it's exibition.

Is there another miller out there your talking about? Can't be the miller we have???

My only concern so far is that the 10-12 NHLers in the 1st game couldn't beat a team full of ahl players, but I attribute some of that to rust. I wouldn't be suprised if we are a bottom 5 team in the league, but then again I wouldn't be shocked if we finish in the top 10.

To be fair, we did out chance them pretty heavily. Their goalies played pretty well. In mid season form I expect us to finish on those chances.

No angst here...it's pre-season. IMO, pre-season is a time for a bunch of looksies and for the vets to get their timing down. I just hope that everyone comes out of pre-season healthy (too late for Higgy). Kassian and Bieksa's undoing last season was partly due to coming out pre-season injured. This isn't good for anybody.

If this carries on a few games into the the season when it counts, then maybe, I'll start to get a little bit concerned. If this carries on til the quarter turn, then JB will probably address the situation. The roster is 90% to 95% set...so I'm just going to chill and watch the kids show what they got.

Good for morale...it won't be long before the kids are the ones sticking up for the vets.

What I like about some of the kids coming up is that they are better equipped to push back. They won't need anyone sticking up for them, though it's nice to see vets doing what they can to create a "safe working environment" for the kids.

Tell us how you REALLY feel there champ

Heads up, at $6 million per year, we expect him to steal games for us. His first game out after that feel good "I'm 100%" story last week...ya you know.

We're allowed to state our case. Newsflash though, an athlete is subject to ridicule by their fans just like they're subject to praise depending on how they play.

But the end result is we'll always have your gems of condescension to fall back on when someone voices an opinion you don't like.

Feeling 100% does not equate 82-0.

Season hasn't even started yet.

Sobering look at the prospects???? What are you on? Tge prospects have been the best players thus far. The prospects are the reason I feel positive after the two games.

Gaunce

Mccaan

Virt

Hutton

Pedan

Cassels

Baertschi

Kenins

Markstrom

All had good games and look to be solid nhlers either tgis season or next.

What am I on? A chair. I wouldn't consider Markstrom, Baertschi, or Kenins prospects anymore. They pretty much have a spot waiting for them. Gaunce looked alright as a 4th liner but he still has skating issues. That leaves the rest which imo looked fairly out of place. I mean McCann had the best game last night and what exactly did he do? drew a penalty and got a couple of shots on net. I thought Virtanen was down right awful.

Good for morale...it won't be long before the kids are the ones sticking up for the vets.

What I like about some of the kids coming up is that they are better equipped to push back. They won't need anyone sticking up for them, though it's nice to see vets doing what they can to create a "safe working environment" for the kids.

Oh for sure, man. It's gotta feel good having the vets stick up for you too. Sort of a "Welcome to the family kid we got your back" kind of thing, at the NHL level too.

As long as we have Miller in net, we will never be a competitive team in the NHL. He was terrible last year and is starting the same way again. I know I know...it's exibition.

Apparently you missed last season. 29-15-1 with a GAA and SV% just slightly worse than his career average.

Tell us how you REALLY feel there champ

Heads up, at $6 million per year, we expect him to steal games for us. His first game out after that feel good "I'm 100%" story last week...ya you know.

We're allowed to state our case. Newsflash though, an athlete is subject to ridicule by their fans just like they're subject to praise depending on how they play.

But the end result is we'll always have your gems of condescension to fall back on when someone voices an opinion you don't like.

A goalie can't score goals. Miller let in 2 goals on 9 shots, and in a certain context, can be viewed as bad. However, in a different scenario, had he played the rest of the game, he could easily earn his 6 million by shutting the door and giving the team a chance to Win. Keep in mind the goals scored on him were well screened, and he kicked offensive support. In this case, I wouldn't use this have as a testament to Miller's general game.

Archived