The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zero goals in two preseason games

nitti999

Hate to say it, but it is somewhat of a concern. It's not as if we've got a new coach with a completely new system that the players have got to get used to, and it's not as if we've rested all our top 6 guys either. Also the fact that Miller was so bad i concerning since he makes $6 million for two more seasons.

Cue the "should have kept Lack" posts, which we should have :)

Maybe a bit - you have to figure something should have gone in by now...

On the plus side, Markstrom played really well, Miller, MEHH....another goalie controversy by Christmas prehaps?

If there is a controversy, maybe we trade the better goalie (Markstrom) again, as that seems to be the recurring pattern in Vancouver. Why keep the better goalie, that would be to rational.

What's the problem... they couldn't score in the post-season and now they can't score in the pre-season?

Years of running a no offence-defence that relies of an excepational goalie... will foster you years of no scoring when your goalies stink.

Now you all bitch about our non-scoring team's crappy goalies !!!

And... "The Circle of Tradgady Countinues to Chuern the Tummys of The Faithful"

What concerns me is the complete lack of faith. I couldn't believe how much Sedin bashing I read on the game chat last night. It's almost like people forget that this guys put up top 10 numbers in the NHL year after year after year. Everyone says they are on a decline, fair enough, they are getting older, but people seem to overlook that last year THEY BOTH were in the top 10 in scoring, yet again.

The sky is not falling. I'm not saying this team is a contender, nor do I even want it to be (much rather a year of good picks are take off up the ladder next year) but this team looks fine to me. And for the record, this is the first time in a long time I can remember being excited for the future outside of 1 or 2 kids.

Yes they did look good and Miller looked his usual terrible with post game BS.

This statement is why we are a goalie graveyard. BOTH Miller and Canatta gave up two goals. Miller had ZERO chance on either shot. When Canatta gives up 2 goals it's okay. When Miller gives up 2, well gee now he sucks and is the worst goalie ever. Give your head a shake.

This statement is why we are a goalie graveyard. BOTH Miller and Canatta gave up two goals. Miller had ZERO chance on either shot. When Canatta gives up 2 goals it's okay. When Miller gives up 2, well gee now he sucks and is the worst goalie ever. Give your head a shake.

Miller is a top goalie in the league, look as his salary. Is JB an idiot? He paid Miller what he is worth and that reflects his standing amongst NHL goalies.

at the time that carlyle was fire they were in a playoff position. They held the first wildcard spot. I have no idea what you think youre arguing.

I'm simply saying that they were in a playoff position at that time because of a high PDO. And that skill-wise they were never a playoff caliber team at any point last season.

I know it's only two preseason games. But zero goals in six periods of 5 on 5. Thoughts. Concerns. Optimism ?

Preseason, especially early preseason, shouldn't be a place to develop concerns about how the team will do offensively, defensively or in the stantdings. Other than getting a look at prospects trying to make the team, the games are really mostly an extension of practice, to get players ready to start the season.

Some this summer have questioned where the Canucks' scoring this season will come from and if they'll be a low scoring team. Those questions remain to be answered, but realistically even if the Canucks had been on a scoring binge in their two early preseason games, the answers wouldn't mean much.

So, for those who have questions or concerns, the preseason isn't a good time to answer them. Results in preseason games don't necessarily correlate with how the team does in the regular season.

Even those who want to use the preseason to judge who should be on the team should remember that Canucks have a coach who is slow to change his mind about players. In most cases I consider that a good thing, but even those that don't should remember that the coach and management might be cautious and require further evidence than what they see in the preseason before deciding whether a player is or isn't ready for the NHL.

It's hockey. We on CDC can have fun and analyze what we see to death.

But with very few exceptions, answers to our questions will await the regular season. For some of the questions or concerns that people raise, the answers won't come unless and until the Canucks start the playoffs.

What concerns me is the complete lack of faith. I couldn't believe how much Sedin bashing I read on the game chat last night. It's almost like people forget that this guys put up top 10 numbers in the NHL year after year after year. Everyone says they are on a decline, fair enough, they are getting older, but people seem to overlook that last year THEY BOTH were in the top 10 in scoring, yet again.

The sky is not falling. I'm not saying this team is a contender, nor do I even want it to be (much rather a year of good picks are take off up the ladder next year) but this team looks fine to me. And for the record, this is the first time in a long time I can remember being excited for the future outside of 1 or 2 kids.

"Lack of faith" is par for the course on CDC after a few Canuck losses mount up....Sedin bashing is nothing new either, (they're already labelling Virtanen a bust on HFboards after his first exhibition game)....You shouldn't concern yourself with all the negativity,its pretty much a given in this market.

Archived