The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zero goals in two preseason games

nitti999

I was watching Babcock interview last week. He said in Detroit he and management knew before the season started it would take 234 goals (pretty sure that was the number, might be off by 1 or 2 goals)to get into the playoffs. Then they would go thru the team to see how to get to that number.

Do you guys think this Canucks team will score 234 goals?

I don't know. How many did they score last season or the season 2 seasons before that? It's not just about scoring though is it? You have to have a D and a net minder keeping them out. Did Babcock not add that?

You forgot another negative dumbass Benning got rid of Lack when it should've been Miller

Sadly Eddie was a "tweener" and to keep him meant losing a younger and potentially better Markstrom. (although he has yet to convince me)

Anyway, what I'm saying is Benning acted, he bit the bullet, something this organisation has lacked under Gillis. Benning will never guarantee he will get it right every time but in the real world, who does, apart from some fantasists and second guessers on CDC.

don't want to sound negative and i don't need the others on here to say hey its only pre season...i don't operate like that and if the gm and coaches do they are looking for trouble...when i was a kid playing at school for a fun soccer game floor hockey etc i always wanted to win ..even though it was just for fun..then on the weekends when i played on teams i even wanted to win more... i don't see that in most of these players...thats the difference...what happen to the trouble makers the movers the shakers...pre season reg season you need to play hard without getting hurt...you have talent but you do not have the rite guys pushing the rite buttons...i can see it now don't need three years to find out...look at last year how hard goals came...it will be the same thing...players got pushed around at times indwell again..prust is tough and dorsettt will show up but they can't do it all..it won't work...

Only played on teams that played on weekends? Ahhh, yes. This dude hockeygod77 is just another house-leaguer who thinks he knows a thing or two about competitive hockey.

The season is a marathon and not a sprint. Those worrying about how the Canucks are coming out of the blocks are worrying about a bunch of nothing.

This version of the Canucks is not likely to set the world on fire, but there's a lot to look forward to this season.

I don't know. How many did they score last season or the season 2 seasons before that? It's not just about scoring though is it? You have to have a D and a net minder keeping them out. Did Babcock not add that?

Yeah I understand the Defense etc. and I did try to search for Babs interview audio/video. I was able to find an interview where he goes into this same subject but doesn't bring up the number of goals. I'll find it and post a link.

But that's not the interview I recall hearing when he actually talked about the number of goals. Unfortunately I din't hear the whole interview and don't recall much, only remember him talking about needing a certain number of goals, for some reason I recall that part as it stuck in my brain. I listen to the radio in the background at work all day so sometimes I only hear bits and pieces. I'm not even sure it was on radio or at home on TV. Wish I could find it and get context behind what Babs was saying.

edit, here's a link to the story I could find but he doesn't go into number of goals so it doesn't go into what I had posted but I can't find that other interview/comment

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/09/08/mike-babcock-i-added-up-our-goals-the-other-day-i-didnt-like-the-outcome/

Babcock: I would tell you – any time you move a guy like Phil, who is a high-high end scorer, you’re going to suffer to replace his goals. That’s just the reality of the situation. But you’re going to see who is going to do it. We did an exercise each year in Detroit. Ken Holland and myself, we add up the goals we’re going to score. We’d know before the year what we thought we were going to score. When I added up the goals the other day, they didn’t add up right. I tried to do it again and again, and I didn’t like the outcome. The reality is we’re going to have to find some people to score more goals than I put down on the sheet. We know that. Let’s get to work and figure out how we’re going to do tha

Remember when the Oilers won the preseason and were absolutely abysmal in the regular season?

Pre season means squat, I really don't know why we have to go over this every year...

Maybe it's because our preseason sucks every year? Our guys need to be building a culture of total compete, even in the preseason. Especially the young ones competing for roster spots.

Maybe it's because our preseason sucks every year? Our guys need to be building a culture of total compete, even in the preseason. Especially the young ones competing for roster spots.

Except our pre season doesn't suck every year, teams "look" bad in pre season and go on to have great seasons. Teams that "look" great in the pre season have terrible seasons it happens every year not just here.

And for the players it's about getting into game shape more than results.

"Lack of faith" is par for the course on CDC after a few Canuck losses mount up....Sedin bashing is nothing new either, (they're already labelling Virtanen a bust on HFboards after his first exhibition game)....You shouldn't concern yourself with all the negativity,its pretty much a given in this market.

Pretty much.

Good examples are Luongo and Bieksa. Once they got traded, people started saying how our GM's fcked up and got low value.

Except our pre season doesn't suck every year, teams "look" bad in pre season and go on to have great seasons. Teams that "look" great in the pre season have terrible seasons it happens every year not just here.

And for the players it's about getting into game shape more than results.

Okay, I'll buy what you're selling, but I'm only paying 50% of your price.

2 goals in 3 games, Dallas is the only other team with number of goals that low and Dallas hasn't played their 3rd game yet.

I noticed in last night's game that the line chemistry wasn't there, Willie needs to figure out who to put where.

Prust was brought in to score goals?

Anywho, preseason, is presesaon, is preseason. We played their NHL team vs our AHL, and people are actually concerned we didn't win last night.

There was a lot of positives to take away from last night based on how many of these young guys played. Virtanen, Guance, and Shink really stood out last night on the ice.

Vey actually looked improved overall, but was still had some "come on" moments when he couldn't receive a pass, or make a good one at times. His line with Dorsett and Prust actually looked pretty good all night.

Corrado had a rough night, but I felt like he stepped it up a bit more in the 3rd period.

Sbisa only had 1 play were I was upset with him, when he lost the puck on the pinch at the blue line. Can't blame too much of that on him, and poor defense by Pedan at the other end really sealed the goal.

I thought Markstrom looked pretty darn good as well.

Archived