The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

This is nonsense and so is that lame instagram post or whatever it was.

Sports is a business and this is nothing but a business deal. DD taking it personally is all on him. All he had to do was take the high road and thank the Raptors and their fans and accept his fate. He is right, there is no loyalty and nor should there be.

I understand that, but they didn't have to tell DD he wasn't getting traded a few days before trading him.

• Upvote 3

Can not believe what I woke up to this morning.  I'm happy and nervous about this trade.  Kawhi is an obvious upgrade over Derozan, but the idea of him leaving next year is scary.  Losing Poeltl sucks just because of his upside.  The Raptors now have an unreal defensive squad with Kawhi, Ibaka, Siakim, and Green.  Hopefully they can lock everyone down in the playoffs and help the Raptors make the finals.  I was thinking that the Raptors can try to trade Lowry and another young guy to Minnesota for Jimmy Butler.  

Great trade for the raps. There window to win a championship was closing. Derozen was getting older, Lowry is 33, and although the young guys are decent I don’t believe they have another all star coming up. With Kawhi you get a proven playoff performer and one of the best defensive players in the league. Even if he leaves after this season it frees up 20mil for them to sign another superstar. I think I’m in the minority but this was a great trade. In pro sports you’re team is loyal to its players when results are coming in. 3 years of choking in the playoffs and it was time to make a change. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Great trade for the raps. There window to win a championship was closing. Derozen was getting older, Lowry is 33, and although the young guys are decent I don’t believe they have another all star coming up. With Kawhi you get a proven playoff performer and one of the best defensive players in the league. Even if he leaves after this season it frees up 20mil for them to sign another superstar. I think I’m in the minority but this was a great trade. In pro sports you’re team is loyal to its players when results are coming in. 3 years of choking in the playoffs and it was time to make a change. 

Yeah good luck getting big name free agents if players think they did DeMar dirty.

They only get free agents to join if they convince Leonard to stay.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yeah good luck getting big name free agents if players think they did DeMar dirty.

They only get free agents to join if they convince Leonard to stay.

Exactly. People think Kawhi walking is the worst case scenario, but the fallout from this is the worst case scenario. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Sports is a business and this is nothing but a business deal. DD taking it personally is all on him. All he had to do was take the high road and thank the Raptors and their fans and accept his fate. He is right, there is no loyalty and nor should there be.

There are lot of people saying this is just a business.  That sports is just a business.  **** that.  The Toronto Raptors have certainly lost my business.

Sports is more than just a business.  We are on a fan forum.  We idolize the players on our team.  We are not robots.  We take things personally.  Any owner or GM who completely ignores their team culture will be in trouble. 

Don't tell me that people aren't giving Trevor Linden slack because of what he did in the past.  Don't tell me that people gave Henrik and Daniel slack because of what they did in the past.  The twins' swan song wasn't business.  It was a defining last chapter for them, their family, the fans, and the franchise.  You've watched them grow as baby-faced teenagers into grown, mature men.  Now... just imagine if they were traded at the deadline for a second and third round pick.  Those are high-value picks we're missing out on at the expense of a couple 37 year olds finishing out the season.  From your viewpoint, this is bad business.  Not trading is what made the Sedins proud to retire as Canucks.  It's what made the fans proud of their team and its great history.  And it's what ultimately improved the Canucks brand.

While I can't speak from a player-team perspective, I know that when a team throws away a franchise player (especially a loyal one), the consequences can be catastrophic.  PK Subban.  Wayne Gretzky.  Babe Ruth.  Sometimes when the value is there (the infamous Celtics-Nets trade), it's worth trading.  In this instance, it's a poor business decision.  Kawhi Leonard wants to go to L.A., and he will likely do so in one year.  Management straight-up cucked DeRozan and lied to him about his security on the team.  He's the only superstar that's really showed any loyalty to the Raptors franchise and they just traded them in really poor fashion.  And if you think the fans will be excited about this, think again.  Assuming Leonard leaves TOR next summer, I predict draft lottery right after that.

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I get why DD is mad but at the end of the day it's a business. 

@Bob.Loblaw Being loyal to the Sedins is part of what held the Canucks organization back. If you can't see that, then keep drinking the kool aid. 

The Raps may have lost your business but they'll gain many more if they actually build a championship squad, not some reg season stat pad team. 

KL will leave or get flipped for picks before the deadline anyway. Raps need a rebuild. Being the 3rd best team in the East wasn't going to get them anywhere. 

Rebuild around OG and Siakam. Sign Rawle Alkins too. Build from the draft. 

Edited by Van40

4 hours ago, Zach Parise said:

Such a dumb trade for raptors ,, they had a clear path to the finals with lebron being in the west

Really cause, I still would not see them beating the Celts or 76ers.

Still a dumb trade cause KL will leave next season.

Edited by J-23

42 minutes ago, Van40 said:

I get why DD is mad but at the end of the day it's a business. 

@Bob.Loblaw Being loyal to the Sedins is part of what held the Canucks organization back. If you can't see that, then keep drinking the kool aid. 

The Raps may have lost your business but they'll gain many more if they actually build a championship squad, not some reg season stat pad team. 

KL will leave or get flipped for picks before the deadline anyway. Raps need a rebuild. Being the 3rd best team in the East wasn't going to get them anywhere. 

Rebuild around OG and Siakam. Sign Rawle Alkins too. Build from the draft. 

Sometimes it's about doing the right thing and letting your old guys go on good terms.  Now DeRozan is a player in his prime who was nonetheless betrayed by his ball club.  Free agents don't care about coming up to Canada... do you honestly think this drama is going to encourage suitors to sign with TOR?  I think it's going to be even harder for the Raptors to sign FAs and I think our future franchise star is more likely going to leave after his contract is up.  Unlike DeRozan, who was the only guy in franchise history who committed to Toronto and Canada.

If you are too forward and too aggressive, your club doesn't build a culture or prestige.  A team like that won't have any fans.  Look at Ottawa right now.  A team can't treat its heroes like trash and not expect any backlash.  Call it a business as much as you want.  I am not going to root for a hockey team or basketball team that treats its most loyal players like bait.  You will never get away with that type of garbage in European sport, where they take things way more seriously and way more personally than here.

Again, casual fans don't know who Siakam and Anunoby are.  ACC isn't going to fill seats with those names.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

23 minutes ago, Zach Parise said:

If they kept Derozan they would cause they can always add at the TDL 

But they just screwed their future up

No they didn't. They kept all their young players and can now create a bidding war between the LA franchises. They protected their first round pick in the deal 1-20 for a reason.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sometimes it's about doing the right thing and letting your old guys go on good terms.  Now DeRozan is a player in his prime who was nonetheless betrayed by his ball club.  Free agents don't care about coming up to Canada... do you honestly think this drama is going to encourage suitors to sign with TOR?  I think it's going to be even harder for the Raptors to sign FAs and I think our future franchise star is more likely going to leave after his contract is up.  Unlike DeRozan, who was the only guy in franchise history who committed to Toronto and Canada.

If you are too forward and too aggressive, your club doesn't build a culture or prestige.  A team like that won't have any fans.  Look at Ottawa right now.  A team can't treat its heroes like trash and not expect any backlash.  Call it a business as much as you want.  I am not going to root for a hockey team or basketball team that treats its most loyal players like bait.  You will never get away with that type of garbage in European sport, where they take things way more seriously and way more personally than here.

Again, casual fans don't know who Siakam and Anunoby are.  ACC isn't going to fill seats with those names.

Raptors tried to keep Vince Carter and he forced his way out. Bosh left them for Miami too. 

I agree with some of your points, but in the end if you build a winner, guys will want to play for you. Drafting is key. 

Biggest thing turning ufas away from Toronto are the taxes. 

Pretty sure the Raps made this trade knowing that there's a 99% chance Leonard leaves next year. 

It's an all-in move for this year and then Masai will likely go young the following year and start anew.

Raps organization had zero trust in Derozan + Lowry taking them to the finals, not that I blame them. 

Lowry is 33 now so they'll get another year or two out of him and then it will be a complete changing of the guard. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Raptors tried to keep Vince Carter and he forced his way out. Bosh left them for Miami too. 

I agree with some of your points, but in the end if you build a winner, guys will want to play for you. Drafting is key. 

Unlikely, taxes aren't too different than in a good portion of the states from what I recall. California's taxes aren't much better than Toronto's.

Players get paid in US dollars as well so they come out pretty well with the current exchange rate. 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Unlikely, taxes aren't too different than in a good portion of the states from what I recall. California's taxes aren't much better than Toronto's.

Players get paid in US dollars as well so they come out pretty well with the current exchange rate. 

Kawhi just went from 0% state tax to a 13% provincial tax that he will have to pay in Canada

Edited by Van40

37 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Kawhi just went from 0% state tax to a 13% provincial tax that he will have to pay in Canada

That's like roughly more than around 250,000 I think but he can more than make up for it if he signs and stays longer with the Raptors. He could get some national brand endorsement deals. 

3 hours ago, Van40 said:

No lack of info. It has gotten better over time and derozan will always speak highly of the people of Canada,

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

There are lot of people saying this is just a business.  That sports is just a business.  **** that.  The Toronto Raptors have certainly lost my business.

Sports is more than just a business.  We are on a fan forum.  We idolize the players on our team.  We are not robots.  We take things personally.  Any owner or GM who completely ignores their team culture will be in trouble. 

Don't tell me that people aren't giving Trevor Linden slack because of what he did in the past.  Don't tell me that people gave Henrik and Daniel slack because of what they did in the past.  The twins' swan song wasn't business.  It was a defining last chapter for them, their family, the fans, and the franchise.  You've watched them grow as baby-faced teenagers into grown, mature men.  Now... just imagine if they were traded at the deadline for a second and third round pick.  Those are high-value picks we're missing out on at the expense of a couple 37 year olds finishing out the season.  From your viewpoint, this is bad business.  Not trading is what made the Sedins proud to retire as Canucks.  It's what made the fans proud of their team and its great history.  And it's what ultimately improved the Canucks brand.

While I can't speak from a player-team perspective, I know that when a team throws away a franchise player (especially a loyal one), the consequences can be catastrophic.  PK Subban.  Wayne Gretzky.  Babe Ruth.  Sometimes when the value is there (the infamous Celtics-Nets trade), it's worth trading.  In this instance, it's a poor business decision.  Kawhi Leonard wants to go to L.A., and he will likely do so in one year.  Management straight-up cucked DeRozan and lied to him about his security on the team.  He's the only superstar that's really showed any loyalty to the Raptors franchise and they just traded them in really poor fashion.  And if you think the fans will be excited about this, think again.  Assuming Leonard leaves TOR next summer, I predict draft lottery right after that.

I agree with everything up to keeping the Sedins longer, but im not sure if anyone would've given Benning picks for them.