The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

33 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you believe luongo will quit/retire before his contract ends?

he was injured last season and saw limited action

the season before he won 35 games

this season james reimer is the other goalie

i see luongo remaining the starter

and it is not unreasonable to expect/hope him to win 30 games on an improved florida team

that'll leave him with about 70 wins to catch roy over the remaining 4 years of his contract

unless he is physically not capable of playing i think he will keep playing

his ability to catch roy depends on how good the panther team is

they are a rising young team and i think likely will be good for the next 5 years

last year was a blip due to injury and forcing tallon to step down/iup

he is back at the controls

so i still think luongo will catch roy unless his body or skills fail him

but i admit i have not talked to luongo about this

maybe someone can tweet him :P

Given that Reimer has outplayed him the last two years and that at most he will split the starts this year, his years of thirty wins are no longer there.  I don't think he will finish his contract but of course am hopeful he will.  Five hundred wins are within reach, but it's doubtful he will pass Roy IMO.

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Given that Reimer has outplayed him the last two years and that at most he will split the starts this year, his years of thirty wins are no longer there.  I don't think he will finish his contract but of course am hopeful he will.  Five hundred wins are within reach, but it's doubtful he will pass Roy IMO.

you are certainly entitled to your opinion about him passing roy

but to say reimer has outplayed him the past 2 years is not supportable

luongo won 35 games 2 years ago and was playing extremely well in florida's run to the playoffs

reimer was not playing at the level

and rarely has

which is why he cannot seem to stick with any team as a starter

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This is Reimer's second season with the Panthers.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

luongo won 35 games 2 years ago and was playing extremely well in florida's run to the playoffs

and rarely has

I think the fact that Luo got 2 of their first 3 starts shows that they still see Luo as their guy. He's been a big part of their franchise and still is.

The big concern, however, is that Luo has said in interviews that his hip surgery last year did not completely repair the issue he was having and he's been left with some pain in it that they can't fix. He'll just have to live with it. It's impossible to know how exactly that will affect him, but it will certainly play into how they manage his starts. He and Reimer, who has played well for the Cats, will split the starts to keep Luo as fresh as possible and keep Reimer in it. Hopefully that will not only allow for both goalies to give it their best effort every game but also allow Luo to extend his playing years, which is of course good for us. As for how many starts that means he'll have, we'll have to wait and see. But however many it is, the fact remains that he has cemented his place in the record books.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

and rarely has

Check out the stats.  Reimer was a mediocre starter in TO, they hired him to back up Luongo and he took over last year.  What happens this year is anyone's guess.  Broduer also played amazing in his late thirties but he eventually lost it.  To expect Luongo to beat the odds is admirable but not realidtic.  The number one role is fluid in Florida right now, it could be Reimer it could be Luongo, but three more years or twenty wins is the most we should expect, not enough to dethrown Roy.

2 hours ago, poetica said:

I think the fact that Luo got 2 of their first 3 starts shows that they still see Luo as their guy. He's been a big part of their franchise and still is.

The big concern, however, is that Luo has said in interviews that his hip surgery last year did not completely repair the issue he was having and he's been left with some pain in it that they can't fix. He'll just have to live with it. It's impossible to know how exactly that will affect him, but it will certainly play into how they manage his starts. He and Reimer, who has played well for the Cats, will split the starts to keep Luo as fresh as possible and keep Reimer in it. Hopefully that will not only allow for both goalies to give it their best effort every game but also allow Luo to extend his playing years, which is of course good for us. As for how many starts that means he'll have, we'll have to wait and see. But however many it is, the fact remains that he has cemented his place in the record books.

Well said.  Luongo absolutely is one of the best goalies ever to play the game. He was one of my favorites before we traded to get him, he was always in the highlights and regularly faced forty plus shots yet had a respectable winning percentage.  I knew as soon as we got him we were approaching contention, and he didn't dissapoint in the playoffs going head to head with an equally hot Turco...what a series. 

I loved Luongo before he became a Canuck but he wasn't and never will be at the same level as Roy.  This guy revolutionized the way the position was played and won two cups on his back, one so lopsided that he cemented himself in the history books the same way Gretzky did with his 50 goals in 39 games and 215 point season ( overtime wins, this guy got in other shooters heads more than anyone else not named Hasek).

Luongo also idolized Roy, and the fact he's got a chance to pass him in wins makes for fun debate.  I just don't see that happening unfortunately.  Five hundred wins are within reach for sure, but passing Roy is unlikely.  His body has taken a toll, and like Broduer before him even with one last great season ( like Broduer going to the final one last time at Luongo's age) in him,  passing even the five hundred win milestone is NOT a foregone conclusion.

11 hours ago, poetica said:

This is Reimer's second season with the Panthers.

and was done half way through last season because of injury and surgery.  Overall crap show from FLA last season as well. 

But he had said coming into this year he feels great and better than ever.  

Edited by JV77

13 hours ago, JV77 said:

and was done half way through last season because of injury and surgery.  Overall crap show from FLA last season as well. 

But he had said coming into this year he feels great and better than ever.  

I think you quoted the wrong post because clearly you're talking about Luo and not Reimer, but yeah.

Luo said he has some kind of issue (pain? stiffness?) he has to learn to live with. That being said, they know by now what he's working with and the training staff can help him train and warmup specifically with his ongoing issues in mind. And knowing it's an ongoing issue, Luo has had some time now to get to know what his new normal is so he won't have to think every twinge he feels is a new injury, which will help him be more confident in his movement. And judging from the 2 games he's played thus far I'd say he is. Especially in that second game he was moving better than I've seen him move in at least a couple of years. Even before he went out last year you could tell he had a hip problem just from the way he struggled to stretch out and move side to side. I didn't see any evidence of that limitation last game. He was moving really well, even made a few HUGE stretch pad saves that he probably wouldn't have been able to make last season. "Better than ever" is probably a lie, but I really do think he's feeling good. I expect, barring any new injury, that he'll have a good season. I certainly hope he will!

As for the rest of the Cats, you are totally right that last season was a crap show. Removing Tallon was their first major mistake. And then, of course, they compounded that mistake a million times by unceremoniously firing Gallant (much to Vegas' delight!), after which the players were clearly lost. They had no idea what was expected of them or how to deliver it. They had no system that made sense to them as players. They had a coach who wasn't qualified and thought stats alone were enough data to tell you how to play hockey. Add injuries into the mix and it was a TOTAL crap show from start to finish!

This season looks better already, and I think it was Ekblad who said in a recent interview that they know more about what's expected of them and what systems they're playing than they have in years. They also have said that they feel a little more confident in their scoring ability this season and don't feel so scared to get down by a goal or two. As long as they don't take that as an excuse to let defense lapse (which has been an ongoing issue for years) I think they're going to have a good season and have a chance at making the playoffs again.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JV77 said:

SO 74...2 behind Belfour

Man Lu playing some good hockey right making hig volume saves

Belfour AND Esposito - so 3 shutouts will put him 9th all-time.

Lu may have slowed down over the last couple of years, but there's no doubt that he's moving towards a top 5, potentially even top 3, position as the best goalie of all-time (by statistics at least).