The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4K TV or 1080HD TV

Squamfan

9 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

well, for black friday you can buy a 43 inch 4k tv for $600. I think black friday is the best day to buy those high end tvs and 4k will eventually become the standard in a few years since there are lots of smart phones and cameras today in the market that shoot 4k and youtube already has 4k option. So its just a matter of when the broadcasters convert to 4k.

Do you know how much more expensive it is to broadcast in 4k? majority of television is still in 720, not even 1080 and you think it will become 4k very soon? Also, 4k bandwidth usage is much higher than that of 1080, another factor against it for the time being.

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Except if you have the option to buy 4k and 1080p at close to the same price, you choose the 4k tv now not the 1080p so you can have it for 10 or more years. Obviously there will be improvements but the price would reflect that too down the road. You buy TV every 10-15 years anyways so you might as well get the latest model that is able to last that long without it being obsolete. The reason is that people don't change TV's like they do their smartphones every 2 years.

For the most part, TVs don't really last that long anymore, as lifespan has decreased as the technology has increased with the mass producing nor do people want to keep them that long anymore even if they do last that long. With things changing every few years, TVs are being switched more frequently (personal experience selling TVs)

Also, looking at specs, that 4k and 1080p probably don't match up in many other aspects of specs other than that the 4k has a higher resolution( which is almost pointless at the moment)

1 minute ago, Ilya Kovalchuk. said:

Do you know how much more expensive it is to broadcast in 4k? majority of television is still in 720, not even 1080 and you think it will become 4k very soon? Also, 4k bandwidth usage is much higher than that of 1080, another factor against it for the time being.

For the most part, TVs don't really last that long anymore, as lifespan has decreased as the technology has increased with the mass producing nor do people want to keep them that long anymore even if they do last that long. With things changing every few years, TVs are being switched more frequently (personal experience selling TVs)

Also, looking at specs, that 4k and 1080p probably don't match up in many other aspects of specs other than that the 4k has a higher resolution( which is almost pointless at the moment)

Well, my brother bought his 40 inch Samsung LED 5 years ago for $500 with USB option that plays any media, and it is still current. You've contradicted yourself since you said that broadcasters take long to adapt to new technology and there are limited media content for 4K right now but on the other hand, you also say that TVs don't last 10 years due to rapid advancement in technology. So which one is it?

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Well, my brother bought his 40 inch Samsung LED 5 years ago for $500 with USB option that plays any media, and it is still current. You've contradicted yourself since you said that broadcasters take long to adapt to new technology and there are limited media content for 4K right now but on the other hand, you also say that TVs don't last 10 years due to rapid advancement in technology. So which one is it?

No I didn't, no where did I say at the advancement in technology is the resolution. Many things change, prime example, adding the smart feature. Another, Plasma was a huge thing where everyone purchased Plasma screens, they were still the same resolution at 1080p and then people went onto LED 1080p. Again, resolution did no change, nor did I say resolution was the advancement in technology. And another thing, what do LED TVs lack? Good Black Levels. Manufacturers such as Samsung added features such as micro dimming which improve that. Another advancement is OLED Tvs. Still a 1080p TV but with much better and different technology.

So no, I did not contradict myself.

1 minute ago, Ilya Kovalchuk. said:

No I didn't, no where did I say at the advancement in technology is the resolution. Many things change, prime example, adding the smart feature. Another, Plasma was a huge thing where everyone purchased Plasma screens, they were still the same resolution at 1080p and then people went onto LED 1080p. Again, resolution did no change, nor did I say resolution was the advancement in technology. And another thing, what do LED TVs lack? Good Black Levels. Manufacturers such as Samsung added features such as micro dimming which improve that. Another advancement is OLED Tvs. Still a 1080p TV but with much better and different technology.

Well, a 1080p Plasma TV like Kuro that was introduced 7-10 years ago is still current and its not just the resolution, its the contrast level and picture quality. An OLED TV being introduced to the market doesn't make your LED or Plasma TV obsolete since all 3 can still be used for the current media and all 3 can have number of similar functions like wifi built in or USB media playback. Its definitely not like smartphones where you need to change to accommodate a new OS or there are big revolutionary tech being introduced like fingerprint reader or retina reader. Some minor improvements or additions like android built in or higher Hz refresh rate wouldn't be a big deal to many consumers. 

On 11/28/2015, 10:15:33, Ilya Kovalchuk. said:

1080p regardless of size. Right now, like everyone mentioned, 4k content is not mainstream. A lot of cable is still 720p and has not even converted to 1080p. It took 1080p many years to become mainstream, and still many TV channels are 720p like Canucks games.

By the time 4k becomes mainstream, there will be better technologically advanced 4k TVs at a better price too. Right now, buying 4k, you're paying for a feature in the TV that you will not be putting to full use, and will have improvements made upon down the road.

I own a few 4k tvs in my household and recently bought one for my parents this xmas and heres my take.

Yes 4k is not mainstream, i admit, it is going to be awhile till it will be especially with the hard caps on all the downloads like 500GB (not quoting exact numbers but somewhere there) for Telus or Shaw which means you can probably watch 2-3 episodes in 4k quality which isnt much. The broadcast right now is at 720p as a standard and I dont think it will deviate from that in at least 5 - 10 years because of bandwidth issues etc. Other than youtube videos, theres not much 4k content

The pro towards 4k is in the media in which its delivered. The telus/shaw boxes compress the signals to downgrade the quality of content to be distributed to homes. A 4k tv will solely be dependant today with its upscaling engine as well as the signal its getting which isn't so good with the shaw/telus boxes. Its going to look better, but whenever I get asked if its worth it to get 4k, i always say, get an Over the air antenna. OTA gets the full digital spectrum,uncompressed signal, pure HD, not getting compressed from these cable boxes. You pair that uncompressed signal with a 4k tv with a good upscaler and the results are absolutely mind blowing.OTA dont get many channels ..probably maybe 8 and up depending your location, but the odd time you get to use an OTA channel with a 4k tv, you'll be thanking yourself and patting yourself in the back.Hockey never looked so good!

On 11/28/2015, 10:48:40, Ilya Kovalchuk. said:

Current LED TV's are still the same old LCD TVs that suffer from the same black level issues since the beginning. It's been a lot better, but my current plasma TV still has way better black levels. For picture quality alone, plasmas still look better than LED's to me. I won't be jumping into 4k until there is a affordable OLED 4k TV. 4k is just resolution. Doesn't matter how much resolution a TV has if it's just the same old LED/LCD tech we've seen in the past. 

3 minutes ago, almo89 said:

Doesn't matter how much resolution a TV has if it's just the same old LED/LCD tech we've seen in the past. 

So much this. I made sure to get a plasma ~a year ago before they stopped making/selling them so I wouldn't have to put up with LCD 'black' (grey) levels, off axis viewing and motion issues. Hopefully OLED progresses (and gets cheaper) by the time I need to replace it because I do NOT want an LCD TV. I don't care what the resolution is.

On 11/28/2015, 4:35:24, canuktravella said:

im gonna wait a few yrs til the technology is like  30k   thetechnology is gonna get crazy   imagine what ipad and iphone and camera tech will be like by 2025. every yr the computer power pretty much doubled

Other than the fact you can't afford one, which doesn't suprise me one bit.

3 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Other than the fact you can't afford one, which doesn't suprise me one bit.

i had a 40 inche samsung i bought a few yrs ago but i dont watch tv barely ever so i gave it to my mom when she moved to her new house in summer so im tvless   but ya i cant afford to buy one at moment in next two yrs im buying cheap land in europe  you can get a cottage in spain or croatia  with a few acres of farm land for like 15-25 grand im leaving canada i totally can handle  living i europe 6 months a yr growing a bunch of fruit trees  living off grid im sorta done with working my ass off in canada and never getting ahead 

• 1 year later...

I bought a 4k tv a couple of months ago (49", LG, using Telus).

After watching some 4k programming from Netflix, I have to say I don't notice any real difference in picture quality between those 4k shows and Netflix shows in regular HD.

What are other peoples' experience?    Thanks.

On 12/2/2015 at 0:05 PM, J.R. said:

So much this. I made sure to get a plasma ~a year ago before they stopped making/selling them so I wouldn't have to put up with LCD 'black' (grey) levels, off axis viewing and motion issues. Hopefully OLED progresses (and gets cheaper) by the time I need to replace it because I do NOT want an LCD TV. I don't care what the resolution is.

haha yes, plasma bros unite!  Films and sports kick but with them.  Eventually one day I'll go 4k, but for now my big Samsung plasma screen works great.  

On 11/30/2015 at 3:21 AM, filthycanuck said:

I own a few 4k tvs in my household and recently bought one for my parents this xmas and heres my take.

Yes 4k is not mainstream, i admit, it is going to be awhile till it will be especially with the hard caps on all the downloads like 500GB (not quoting exact numbers but somewhere there) for Telus or Shaw which means you can probably watch 2-3 episodes in 4k quality which isnt much. The broadcast right now is at 720p as a standard and I dont think it will deviate from that in at least 5 - 10 years because of bandwidth issues etc. Other than youtube videos, theres not much 4k content

The pro towards 4k is in the media in which its delivered. The telus/shaw boxes compress the signals to downgrade the quality of content to be distributed to homes. A 4k tv will solely be dependant today with its upscaling engine as well as the signal its getting which isn't so good with the shaw/telus boxes. Its going to look better, but whenever I get asked if its worth it to get 4k, i always say, get an Over the air antenna. OTA gets the full digital spectrum,uncompressed signal, pure HD, not getting compressed from these cable boxes. You pair that uncompressed signal with a 4k tv with a good upscaler and the results are absolutely mind blowing.OTA dont get many channels ..probably maybe 8 and up depending your location, but the odd time you get to use an OTA channel with a 4k tv, you'll be thanking yourself and patting yourself in the back.Hockey never looked so good!

Really good points.  Never even heard of OTA before.  I do watch a lot of youtube on my ps4, and that's good to know too, although I probably wont be going 4k right away.  I think the misses would kill me

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I bought a 4k tv a couple of months ago (49", LG, using Telus).

After watching some 4k programming from Netflix, I have to say I don't notice any real difference in picture quality between those 4k shows and Netflix shows in regular HD.

What are other peoples' experience?    Thanks.

Depending on your screen size and viewing distance, it's entirely possible that you wouldn't notice any difference.

Generally speaking, you'd need a 60"+ screen and/or less than 8' / 2.5m viewing distance to see much/any difference. You could probably Google the viewing distance required for a 49" TV for differentiation by the average human eye between HD and 4k.

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Depending on your screen size and viewing distance, it's entirely possible that you wouldn't notice any difference.

Generally speaking, you'd need a 60"+ screen and/or less than 8' / 2.5m viewing distance to see much/any difference. You could probably Google the viewing distance required for a 49" TV for differentiation by the average human eye between HD and 4k.

So this 4k thing may be overhyped?  Inneresting.

But I would have thought that if 4k has about four times the resolution of regular 1080 HD, the difference should be noticeable even on smaller sets.

While we're on the subject, is it true that Telus and Shaw both broadcast in 720?  I've been getting different answers.  If true, then even regular 1080 hi-def tvs aren't being used to their full capacity.  

32 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

But I would have thought that if 4k has about four times the resolution of regular 1080 HD, the difference should be noticeable even on smaller sets.  

*Depends on how close you're sitting. 

For sitting at a computer monitor distance? Absolutely. Smaller screen, greater pixel density. 

Sitting 10+ feet /3M + away as one might in a living room, even someone with 20/20 vision wouldn't be able to see the difference on a 49" TV. Then you need a larger screen to realize any benefit of 4k.

Just bought a 65" Samsung 1080P for $1,100 for the basement. Did quite a bit of research, and just couldn't justify paying significantly more for 4K. And although we only sit about 8' away and the 55" was recommended for the distance, am loving the theatre experience so far.

The Samsung model is an entry-level, and has its negatives, but they were all things that weren't important to me (apps are terrible, but use Apple TV anyway; don't use as a computer monitor or do HDR gaming). Whereas on things important to me - low judder and reflections - it scored very well.

But yeah, don't really have sources that are 4k...

Archived