The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata doesn't really serve a purpose.

Boddy604

As the title says.

Sure, he's ok with Baertschi and Horvat and makes the occasional nice pass to send them on the breakaway. But couldn't anyone throw the puck up ice for one of them to go collect?

He's a staple on the 1st unit powerplay. Our powerplay sucks. If Daniel doesn't have Henrik, we're not going to score. Vrbata has really only been a guy to hold it at the blue line and send it back in. Again, couldn't someone else do that?

He's slow, his shot is only marginally more accurate than Edler's this year, and he's another one of those guys who's just taking up a roster spot at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Vrbata is a very good hockey player but on a team that is building itself around a mix of speed and size, he doesnt fit anymore. He was a bigger factor last year when we had guys like Bonino, Higgins, Mathias, Richardson. We're not that team or that style anymore.

If Vrbata is gone, a whole world of possibilities opens up. I'll run through a few, try and tell me they look worse than with him here.

Option 1:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Vey-Etem

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Extras: Cracknell, Zalewski

Option 2:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Vey

Burrows-Sutter-Etem

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Option 3:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Vey

Etem-McCann-Hansen

Dorsett-Zalewski-Virtanen

Extras: Cracknell, Burrows

Yeah, I left Burrows out there cuz let's be honest, we'll be moving on from him too. Eventually.

There's a bunch more. Those look pretty good though, I think. But with Vrbata here, nope, you're stuck with Vrbata on rw cuz he plays nothing else so Zalewski can't be here either. I'd understand holding onto him if we NEEDED him for a playoff push. Do we though? I actually think we would be better without him.

Take a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th and send him out. If you can get more, fantastic, but I doubt it. He doesn't make us better, he doesnt make us faster. Tougher. Meaner. He sometimes scores, news flash... all hockey players do that. He's just kinda here. Keeping him and losing him for nothing doesn't do anything for us.

This is pretty much right. Vrbata skates like he's simply going through the motions. Perhaps not as ineffective as Higgins was, but I just don't see any spark to his game right now. I want to see Bo and Sven play with a winger who can match their speed and desire to score...Virtanen is my bet. 

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

As the title says.

Sure, he's ok with Baertschi and Horvat and makes the occasional nice pass to send them on the breakaway. But couldn't anyone throw the puck up ice for one of them to go collect?

He's a staple on the 1st unit powerplay. Our powerplay sucks. If Daniel doesn't have Henrik, we're not going to score. Vrbata has really only been a guy to hold it at the blue line and send it back in. Again, couldn't someone else do that?

He's slow, his shot is only marginally more accurate than Edler's this year, and he's another one of those guys who's just taking up a roster spot at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Vrbata is a very good hockey player but on a team that is building itself around a mix of speed and size, he doesnt fit anymore. He was a bigger factor last year when we had guys like Bonino, Higgins, Mathias, Richardson. We're not that team or that style anymore.

If Vrbata is gone, a whole world of possibilities opens up. I'll run through a few, try and tell me they look worse than with him here.

Option 1:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Vey-Etem

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Option 2:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Vey

Burrows-Sutter-Etem

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Option 3:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Vey

Etem-McCann-Hansen

Dorsett-Zalewski-Virtanen

Extras: Cracknell, Burrows

Yeah, I left Burrows out there cuz let's be honest, we'll be moving on from him too. Eventually.

There's a bunch more. Those look pretty good though, I think. But with Vrbata here, nope, you're stuck with Vrbata on rw cuz he plays nothing else so Zalewski can't be here either. I'd understand holding onto him if we NEEDED him for a playoff push. Do we though? I actually think we would be better without him.

Take a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th and send him out. If you can get more, fantastic, but I doubt it. He doesn't make us better, he doesnt make us faster. Tougher. Meaner. He sometimes scores, news flash... all hockey players do that. He's just kinda here. Keeping him and losing him for nothing doesn't do anything for us.

Baerschi - Horvat - Virtanen 

Never seen a player avoid hits like Vrbata. IMO he is only dragging down Bo and Baer. What a role model, the two young guys on his line work harder than he does. He gives it up so often on the boards, as soon as it starts getting too physical. This is why he is such a terrible playoff performer. His only claim is that of a deadly sniper...at some point in the past. He's playing like he is still pouting about not playing with the Sedins, But only hanging around waiting to shoot doesn't work on the top line, the twins put him to shame with the punishment they fight through game in game out. I hope Benning can find a suc...I mean trading partner for him at the deadline.

I concur. Enough of CDC defending players for what they've accomplished in the past. Sure Vrbata scored for us last year, but like OP said, we are an entirely different team moving in a new direction. Its time for us to learn from mistakes and unload players while they still hold value. (i.e. luongo trade).

17 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

As the title says.

. . . . .

Totally agree with getting rid of him.  In his last 5 games he is a -6 and has 1 assist while playing with some of our best players and 1st PP time.  His shooting % is at a career low of 6.7% and is 392nd in the league.  His NHL average is 9.4.  Lets face in, he is 34 years old and declining.  

Those that think we can get a 1st for him by the trade deadline are dreaming. I think the best you will get for him is a weak 2nd or a prospect, but hey better than nothing and if not, he is gone for nothing, because NO WAY are we resigning him :wacko:

:lol: vrbata cares guys he really does!

JAN 26 '16 NSH @ VAN 0 0 0 -2 0 0 0 1 0.0 22 15:41  
JAN 23 '16 VAN @ PIT 0 0 0 -2 0 0 0 2 0.0 23 15:34  
JAN 21 '16 VAN @ BOS 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 3 0.0 23 15:56  
JAN 19 '16 VAN @ NYR 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 5 0.0 21 17:05  
JAN 17 '16 VAN @ NYI 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 3 0.0 24 17:30  
JAN 15 '16 VAN @ CAR 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0   20 14:27  
JAN 14 '16 VAN @ WSH 1 0 1 -2 0 1 0 4 25.0 17 15:40  
JAN 11 '16 FLA @ VAN 0 1 1 -1 0 0 0 1 0.0 25 19:33  
JAN 9 '16 TBL @ VAN 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 0.0 23 15:20  
JAN 6 '16 CAR @ VAN 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0.0 21 18:32  
JAN 4 '16 ARI @ VAN 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0.0 21 17:52  
JAN 1 '16 ANA @ VAN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0.0 22 18:37  
DEC 28 '15 LAK @ VAN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 0.0 26 17:44  
DEC 26 '15 EDM @ VAN 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 7 0.0 22 16:50

Whoa there Nellie .....

He is 3rd in goals (11) behing Daniel (21) and Hansen (15)

He is 2nd on the team in shots on goal (162 to Daniel's 172), second in shots per game (3.4 to Daniel's 3.5)

He is one of 3 batting .500 in shootout % (3 for 6, the others being McCann and Vey, both at 1 for 2)

He's tied with Henrik for 2nd in PP goals with 4 apiece (Daniel has 6)

That doesn't square with the topic title at all

1 minute ago, Shaft said:

It's ok, he'll be gone after this season. I don't see why any team would trade for him when he only has a year left on his contract. Maybe a team that's making a push for the cup but will this team have 5 million in cap space? 

Vrbata expires this year. His cap hit wouldn't be the full 5 million. I'm not sure on the exact number but it's something closer to 1.8 by the TD. 

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Whoa there Nellie .....

He is 2nd on the team in shots on goal (162 to Daniel's 172), second in shots per game (3.4 to Daniel's 3.5)

He is one of 3 batting .500 in shootout % (3 for 6, the others being McCann and Vey, both at 1 for 2)

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

Vrbata expires this year. His cap hit wouldn't be the full 5 million. I'm not sure on the exact number but it's something closer to 1.8 by the TD. 

Oh ok, I don't know anything about how the salary cap works :). 

So a 1.8 cap hit for a few more months is very suitable for playoff teams. If we can manage to get any draft pick for him, I'd be happy.

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Whoa there Nellie .....

Literally half of Vrbata's goals came from 2 games. 2. That leaves 48 other games that he scored another 6. I rest my case.

Archived