The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks In F Andrew Ladd Sweepstakes

Nd1989

10 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Again… Same old same old with CDC crew. Everyone's tripping on rebuilding with a bunch of teenagers. "Boeser will turn things around…" type of $&!#. We need a mix. When will you guys get your heads out of your asses and realize that as much as it's time for a new look, we still need experienced pros to lead this team. I'm not a big Ladd fan but if he's as good a leader as people say and as tough as people say, as well as being a hometown kid… i dunno. I like big, physical, two way forwards that can manhandle the Kopitars and Getzlafs and Perrys and Benns etc. We need some veterans on this club and a Cup champion can't hurt. We don't have a McDavid or Eichel coming up the ranks. Stop dreaming and get a grip.

That is mostly what the team has been composed of the past half-dozen years  The core leaders of the team are still here -- twins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Hansen.  Dorsett and Sutter are interim transitional leaders.  Unless you are suggesting just shuffling the vet deck with different leaders for whatever reason, it doesn't make much sense to bring in Ladd and others like him when we're trying to infuse youth and create a new culture, including leadership from them.

We're not about to halt the rebuild and stick it in reverse.

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

There are multiple reasons a team would inquire on a player, and Its not always to acquire them.

in this speculated case, if I were Benning and one of my goals this coming offseason was to land a big experienced UFA winger that can help this team play a grittier style, Ladd would have to be on that list.  Thus there's some do-diligence being done.  Often when trading for a pending UFA, teams like to get an idea of what the future salary demands may be, this again could be what the Canucks are looking at.

At the end of the day, the Canucks wont be giving up futures for a rental player, or even one they feel they can re-sign.  Its not about adding this year.  Its if they sell or stand pat.  Most of us hoping theyll sell Vrbata and Hamhuis.  Then the draft, then the potential to land a couple big names in the UFA market.  The rebuild/retool shall continue, but expect that a Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, Brouwer, Byufglien or mayyybeeee even Stamkos will be on next years roster.

sedin sedin hansen

shinkaruk stamkos brouwer

baertschi horvat virtanen

gaunce sutter dorsett

:P

Just planting the seed with the player that you're interested and in the market for them.   May even impact their willingness to re-up with a team if they are dealt before the deadline, having an idea who is interested come July 1st.  Spending serious assets on the other hand...no.

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That is mostly what the team has been composed of the past half-dozen years  The core leaders of the team are still here -- twins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Hansen.  Dorsett and Sutter are interim transitional leaders.  Unless you are suggesting just shuffling the vet deck with different leaders for whatever reason, it doesn't make much sense to bring in Ladd and others like him when we're trying to infuse youth and create a new culture, including leadership from them.

We're not about to halt the rebuild and stick it in reverse.

Sure, although I do think a 30 year old Ladd is an upgrade over Burr and maybe even Sutter. Horvat is the oldest of our future leadership collective and he's what 20? All I'm saying is that this youth movement is a work in progress and I'm so pumped to see what these players will be doing when they all start peaking in a couple years but the reality is we're still pretty low on upper end skill and we need to make sure the team keeps winning. Right now we are barely a .500 team… optimism aside, playoffs are a slim hope and we're not getting better overnight. We need to bring in quality players with varying attributes. A player like Ladd might be a good addition. 

Makes zero sense to move assets for Ladd unless the price does not involve youth and gives the team the inside track to sign him which they would know before pulling the trigger on a deal. A sign and trade an option too ? but from what I have read the Canucks are NOT in any " sweepstakes " merely as 29 other teams interested and kicking tires as it's their job to do so.

Archived