The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavids back boys, hope he'll save the 1st overall from the oilers

Here are the basic rules governing junior hockey players (18 and 19-year-olds) in the NHL. There are three important deadlines to keep in mind:  [1st two are omitted by me]

3.  The 40-game mark.
This is when the clock starts ticking on a player's free agent status. Under the 2005 collective agreement, a player are eligible for unrestricted free agency after seven years in the NHL. But if he returns to junior hockey before playing 40 NHL games, the season does not count as an "accrued season," which means it doesn't count towards free agency eligibility.
So an 18-year-old rookie who plays at least 40 NHL games can become an unrestricted free agent at the age of 25. An 18-year-old who is returned to junior hockey before game 40 will not be eligible for free agency until he's 26. (Assuming both go on to become NHL regulars every season after that.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mcdavid has played 14 games so far

the oilers have 31 games left

so if he misses more than 5 more games

the oilers could elect to return him to juniors at the end of the season to gain an additional year before mcdavid becomes a free agent???

i doubt this would ever happen

but it is kind of interesting to contemplate 

I watched the game and that goal was definitely brilliant. I have to say though, the Columbus D was way too casual there and should have taken the body immediately. That being said, this is just a flash in the pan for an extremely young player that has shown signs of dominating skill. If he can stay healthy, I would not be surprised if he is indeed the closest thing to the next Crosby. I think in today's NHL the "staying healthy" thing is a major obstacle though.

Two more points tonight so far, damn I have to eat my words, I thought this kid was overrated, but 5 points in 2 games back from an injury at 18 years old, and damn the Oilers are a totally different team with him back.  I mean frigg, all they gotta do is make a few deals for some bigger better backchecking bottom 6 guys, try to make a blockbuster with RNH for a top pairing D, and continue to develop Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhardt next season and they are a legit threat, no doubt,  this new management along with McDavid/Drasitl, Talbot and the highly touted Young D men, with a solid coach, the Oilers are finally climbing the ladder.

4 minutes ago, CALGARY! said:

Two more points tonight so far, damn I have to eat my words, I thought this kid was overrated, but 5 points in 2 games back from an injury at 18 years old, and damn the Oilers are a totally different team with him back.  I mean frigg, all they gotta do is make a few deals for some bigger better backchecking bottom 6 guys, try to make a blockbuster with RNH for a top pairing D, and continue to develop Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhardt next season and they are a legit threat, no doubt,  this new management along with McDavid/Drasitl, Talbot and the highly touted Young D men, with a solid coach, the Oilers are finally climbing the ladder.

Is 18 year old Macdavid Better than 18 year old Sam Bennet?  :lol:

^ lol, I would have to say so,  no doubt McDavid will be a huge points guy, as will Bennett, I can easily see Bennett hitting 90+ points and 40+ goals soon, but I can see McDavid hitting 120-130 and 50+ goals,. Although Bennett plays a much stronger two way game, is extremely diciplined that way for a 19'year old

2 minutes ago, CALGARY! said:

^ lol, I would have to say so,  no doubt McDavid will be a huge points guy, as will Bennett, I can easily see Bennett hitting 90+ points and 40+ goals soon, but I can see McDavid hitting 120-130 and 50+ goals,. Although Bennett plays a much stronger two way game, is extremely diciplined that way for a 19'year old

I can see them both spending more time on the IR than playing.  

On Wednesday, February 03, 2016 at 0:06 AM, DeNiro said:

Columbus' D is Oilers bad.

That should make the canucks the worst in the league then I guess? Missed the game unfortunately 

On Wednesday, February 03, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Neversummer said:

That was 1 on 3 ... this is 1 on 5, at one time, you see 5 yellow jerseys around #13.  McDavid is still a padawan. 

Twice the age.. I have a feeling his ceiling will be a little higher :D

Datsyuk 2.0? :)

The oilers are a different team with him in the line up:

5-1 loss to Habs

8-1 loss to Isles

The difference being we get to see highlights of McJesus skating around, sitting on the bench, drinking from a Gatorade bottle and wiping his face with a towel, you know amazing superstar kinda stuff.

On February 5, 2016 at 1:39 PM, smokes said:

I've say if he wasn't injured, he'd be better than an 18 year old Crosby

Hahaha, not even close. Crosby had 39 goals as a rookie. 30 freakin' 9. Over a 100 points. Injury schminjury, healthy McDavid has been real good, but not rookie Crosby good...also, McDavid has a lot more talented young players around him than Crosby did his rookie season. So far, Crosby is better than McDavid. 

21 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Hahaha, not even close. Crosby had 39 goals as a rookie. 30 freakin' 9. Over a 100 points. Injury schminjury, healthy McDavid has been real good, but not rookie Crosby good...also, McDavid has a lot more talented young players around him than Crosby did his rookie season. So far, Crosby is better than McDavid. 

Sidney had Mario Lemieux, Ziggy Palffy, John LeClair, Mark Recchi. How does McDavid have more talent around him?

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

Sidney had Mario Lemieux, Ziggy Palffy, John LeClair, Mark Recchi. How does McDavid have more talent around him?

I guess you're pretty bad at reading, I said YOUNG talented players. Every player you mentioned was well over 30 when Syd joined the team. Lemieux was 40, Recchi was 37.

Keep practicing your reading though, you're bound to get better 

12 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I guess you're pretty bad at reading, I said YOUNG talented players. Every player you mentioned was well over 30 when Syd joined the team. Lemieux was 40, Recchi was 37.

Keep practicing your reading though, you're bound to get better 

What does young or old have anything to do with talent. My reading is just fine maybe it is your discrimination towards older players  If you can open up your mind maybe you can see the benefits of having older talented players around young rookies a la what the Canucks are doing right now. Are the Sedins less talented because of thier age?

Keep practicing on being polite though. you're bound to get better.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

What does young or old have anything to do with talent. My reading is just fine maybe it is your discrimination towards older players  If you can open up your mind maybe you can see the benefits of having older talented players around young rookies a la what the Canucks are doing right now. Are the Sedins less talented because of thier age?

What does age have to do with talent in pro sports? Ummm, everything? Jagr, as amazing as he is right now, is putting up fewer points than he did in his prime. The reason is because he has gotten older.

Name one All-Star forward who posted career bests in G/A/Pts in their twilight years please.

I never said there aren't benefits to having vets on a team, so don't put words in my mouth.

Yes, the Sedins ARE less talented/skillful now than they were 6 years ago...because of their age. They're older, slower & producing less points. 2010/11 Sedins won Art Ross trophies, 2015/16 Sedins are not even close...do you see what happened there? 

They got older.

4 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

What does age have to do with talent in pro sports? Ummm, everything? Jagr, as amazing as he is right now, is putting up fewer points than he did in his prime. The reason is because he has gotten older.

Name one All-Star forward who posted career bests in G/A/Pts in their twilight years please.

I never said there aren't benefits to having vets on a team, so don't put words in my mouth.

Yes, the Sedins ARE less talented/skillful now than they were 6 years ago...because of their age. They're older, slower & producing less points. 2010/11 Sedins won Art Ross trophies, 2015/16 Sedins are not even close...do you see what happened there? 

They got older.

To compliment a rookie and help with development, learning how to win and passing on experience, I'd take Lemieux and Recchi over Hall and Hopkins any day. Since after all we are talking about the rookie season. 

4 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

They got older.

Martin St. Louis won the Art Ross at age 37...though I guess he doesn't fit the career high qualifier in G/A/Pts since it was a lockout shortened season.

You can't just dismiss players because they're old. That Pittsburgh roster may have had aging stars who were unable to play full seasons but a number of them were still at or near PPG for the games they did play.

Archived