The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Listening To...Canadian Edition.

Rate this topic

Pushing the limits of Cancon a bit these guys were still called Irish Rovers, but soon became legal immigrants and became The Rovers

I'm a having problems with my tech- hope this works - don't know why I've got Shaky in here. wasn't trying.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, gurn said:

A BC  Trio:

Put out 2 albums that I know of- pretty good stuff.    Ulrich/Henderson/Forbes    -----Fast forward about 30 seconds--- you tube poster did a bad edit.

Bim(Roy Forbes) is a really great singer...he has some great older albums and songs..back in the mid 70s he was really doing well then it kind of died out for him...but he made a big comeback when he got involved with Bill and Shari.

• Upvote 1

For those who enjoy punk, but not 4 chord repetitive garbage. 

These two Canadian bands are jam packed full of technical and progressive prowess.  Two huge inspirations to me. 

CHOKE   

The most tech, fastest punk album ever would be FORWARD.   

Amazing album. Put out in 99, but truly so far ahead of their time.   These guys are some of the best musicians around.  

PROPAGANDHI

One of the only punk bands who are still actually trying to make a difference. 

Unlike punks of past who tried the same by being a bunch of dicks and punks,

Prop does it with huge amounts of intelligence and hatred for the government and way things are.  Punks.  Lol

They have been around for over 20 some odd years.    They started out as.... Punks.

Had a couple decent albums, but starting with Today's Empire, Tomorrow's Ashes, they evolved into a prog rock meets brilliant punk band and have put out 4 incredible albums since. 

I highly suggest to those those who like it fast and hard, to check out these bands.  

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Pushing the limits of Cancon a bit these guys were still called Irish Rovers, but soon became legal immigrants and became The Rovers

I'm a having problems with my tech- hope this works - don't know why I've got Shaky in here. wasn't trying.

My grandpa was a cameraman for CBC for years.  He did Canucks, grizzlies, Indy, Lambchops Playalong(hahaha) and a bunch of others. 

The one really cool story he told me, is when he was paid to follow them around, and go on tour with The Irish Rovers and film a bunch of shows.   Cool stuff!

We would listen to the rovers sometimes on trips with my Dad.    The unicorn song is all I really remember.  Time for a Google  session!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

For those who enjoy punk, but not 4 chord repetitive garbage. 

These two Canadian bands are jam packed full of technical and progressive prowess.  Two huge inspirations to me. 

CHOKE   

The most tech, fastest punk album ever would be FORWARD.   

Amazing album. Put out in 99, but truly so far ahead of their time.   These guys are some of the best musicians around.  

PROPAGANDHI

One of the only punk bands who are still actually trying to make a difference. 

Unlike punks of past who tried the same by being a bunch of dicks and punks,

Prop does it with huge amounts of intelligence and hatred for the government and way things are.  Punks.  Lol

They have been around for over 20 some odd years.    They started out as.... Punks.

Had a couple decent albums, but starting with Today's Empire, Tomorrow's Ashes, they evolved into a prog rock meets brilliant punk band and have put out 4 incredible albums since. 

I highly suggest to those those who like it fast and hard, to check out these bands.  

And loud.

I have both albums

they are solid start to finish 

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

My grandpa was a cameraman for CBC for years.  He did Canucks, grizzlies, Indy, Lambchops Playalong(hahaha) and a bunch of others.

The one really cool story he told me, is when he was paid to follow them around, and go on tour with The Irish Rovers and film a bunch of shows.   Cool stuff!

We would listen to the rovers sometimes on trips with my Dad.    The unicorn song is all I really remember.  Time for a Google  session!

Try out "Pheasant Plucker's Son" but be careful with the lyrics, people might think you are singing something dirty, or "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"

9 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Bim(Roy Forbes) is a really great singer...he has some great older albums and songs..back in the mid 70s he was really doing well then it kind of died out for him...but he made a big comeback when he got involved with Bill and Shari.

The 2 years I lived In The Republic Of Salt Spring Island, were very neat. Music icons all over the place, but nobody would be all ga ga over them. Just a casual wave to guys like Randy Bachman, Bill Henderson, Claire Lawrence, Valdy and many more. They would put on small intimate shows in coffee shops and pubs all the time. A place were they could just be ordinary folk, must be quite neat for them too.

• Upvote 2