The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Listening To...Canadian Edition.

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tom Cochrane put out some amazing songs.

Mad, Mad World was a brilliant early 90's release(Life isa' Highway, No Regrets, etc...)

Blue Rodeo is also rather killer.

Tom was also in Red Rider, morphed into Tom and Red Rider, then Red Rider vanished leaving just Tom.

Check out "Lunatic Fringe" if you have not already.

Blue Rodeo is a band I want to see. Greg Keilor and Jim Cuddy taking turns as lead and making good music.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Tom was also in Red Rider, morphed into Tom and Red Rider, then Red Rider vanished leaving just Tom.

Blue Rodeo is a band I want to see. Greg Keilor and Jim Cuddy taking turns as lead and making good music.

Yeah..remember them well. In elemantary days, 'White Hot' was my fav tune for quite a while. Another was 'Boy Inside The Man'..great guitar sound. Our version of Jackson Browne?

Blue Rodeo is a masterful bridge between country, soul & rock. '5 Days In May' just blows me away..."He wrote her name in the sand/never even let go of her hand"

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gurn said:

They usually come to the Lower Mainland often..last few years they played Deer Lake...not this year...I remember working in radio and when Blue Rodeo first came out we didnt really know how to playlist them...somehow because they had Rodeo in their name they somehow ended up on country charts. but in all honesty...they are far away from country...

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

They usually come to the Lower Mainland often..last few years they played Deer Lake...not this year...I remember working in radio and when Blue Rodeo first came out we didnt really know how to playlist them...somehow because they had Rodeo in their name they somehow ended up on country charts. but in all honesty...they are far away from country...

Glad you mentioned this Shaky. Remember in '87 havin a tough time trying to pin down just what category was this great new band.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Glad you mentioned this Shaky. Remember in '87 havin a tough time trying to pin down just what category was this great new band.

I was at JR Country in 87 and we playlisted this song. I never thought it fit the country mold...the odd song of theirs could pass.,..but most are rock/blues/folk as you mentioned.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hedley are great.  BTO they were okay.  And Buton Cumming's band.

Burton was a member of the Guess Who, and had a fine solo career.    A talented guy,  singer/songwriter/ guitarist and played flute.   But imo  Randy Bachman was the man that drove  the band.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
Just now, ShakyWalton said:

I was at JR Country in 87 and we playlisted this song.

Unfortunately was stuck in Alberta for a few yrs then..Blue Rodeo fit the setting, mind you. Gawd their radio stations sucked, after raised on CFox, CFMI & 14CFUN.

Remember that VINTAGE station in Seattle, 92.9 KISM? In the 90's they were spinning 5 albums straight(The Sat nite shuffle). Great DJ's & overall vibe.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

What about Doug and the Slugs, weren't they a Canadian group? They had some semi-classics and used to play second tier gigs all over the West.

They had a long line of hits for sure,,Doug Bennett was the lead singer...he was a graphic artist before he formed the band..he died in Calgary in 2004..sad loss...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Man, this conversation brings back all sorts of memories. You may recall Terry David Mulligan and Bill Ryder from the '60s. Not sure if they were on CKLG (73) or CFUN (1410)?

Mike you ought to do this on a regular basis. Maybe based on music genre and/or time period. What'd think?

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Man, this conversation brings back all sorts of memories. You may recall Terry David Mulligan and Bill Ryder from the '60s. Not sure if they were on CKLG (73) or CFUN (1410)?

Mike you ought to do this on a regular basis. Maybe based on music genre and/or time period. What'd think?

7 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Bill Rieter was a really good blues singer as well..first time I saw Bill he was singing at the old Wooden Barrel in Burnaby....I think he is on some station now playing Blues ...Mulligan married a girl I went to school with in Burnaby..he still does alot of things around town...JB Shane was another classic DJ..they called him Captain Midnight..this was back when radio was great...

Ill throw my 2 cents in when I can till you guys get sick of me..:lol:

• Upvote 2