The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My opinion on Virtanen for next season...

Sean Avery

This has nothing to do with entitlement or anything else.   Bottom line is that if he's good enough to play the role that is expected of him,  then he makes the team.   He's been working hard in the off season,  apparently,  and should be hungry to prove himself.  

There is no point in putting him in more extensive roles than he can handle though.   Last he needs is to have his confidence crushed again. 

There are suggestions Eriksson plays the left side.   Has he ever? 

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm not going to say what I think would be best for Virtanen until I see him at camp. Hopefully he shows up in great shape and with fire in his belly. If that's the case, then definitely NHL. If he shows up (again) with conditioning issues, or just has a poor camp/preseason (and is outplayed by others), I think you send him down and let Green work his magic on the kid.

Whole heartily agree. He either shows up playing with fire in the belly, or goes down with Green. 

Even if Jake makes the club, the moment he takes his foot off the gas and coasts, send him down. Use the waiver exempt status to teach Jake how to play hungry. 

One ammendment. If he is only getting 4th line minutes with Vancouver, send him down. Play him in all situations, getting top six minutes and exposure.  

EW. 

13 hours ago, nzan said:

I've read a couple of instances where it seems Virtanen has a growing respect for the Sedins and their approach to the game and conditioning. 

I'm probably just reading between lines that don't exist, but it's caused me to dream of a scenario where the Sedins take him under their wing (and on their line) and he turns into a big, scary beast with a Sedin-like approach to the game.

Say 25 goals this year, 30 goals next year and 40 the year after?

Gotta dream big! 

I don't think they send the guy that is on every other billboard, or advertisement for the Canucks, to Utica (unless he plays himself there).

But in my opinion Jake still has to come to camp trying to win a spot otherwise I would send him to Utica for a wake-up call. Otherwise Utica isn't going to do anything to develop his offensive skill game, because there's no talent on that team. I think Virtanen is better off playing against men, and he seemed to handle the tough situation he was in, and struggling at times, without getting his confidence shaken.

I think Virtanen is a tier below the type of talent Bennett, Reinhart and Draisaitl are so I don't think we should expect him to be in that 15-20G, 40-50 point range already.

All depends on Virtanen plays in training camp.  If he doesn't show progression, more consistency, then I'm ok with him starting in the AHL, otherwise he should stick around.

I see him on Sutter's RW, a veteran, reliable center.  That would make this line our hard-nosed, checking line, with either another veteran in Burrows, or Baertschi to be the playmaker of both shooters in Sutter/Virtanen

17 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

So they should have someone who's just "tread[ing] water" on the team as opposed to someone that's earned it just because they don't want to make a 20 year old kid mad?? Virt's never been my favorite,and I always questioned his attitude, but even I have a hard time believing his ego's so big he'd pitch fit and pout to that level over starting (not necessarily completing) the season in Utica. And if that's truly where his ego is at then he's due to be taken down a peg as he certainly hasn't earned a spot on the team…yet.

If he blows everyone away and earns a Canucks spot out of camp that's great, but if he's borderline or disappoints then I hope he's charged his iPod- he's got a couple long bus rides ahead of him.

Professional athletes can be big babies when it comes to their egos.  They also rarely see the forest for the trees when it comes to their first non-elc contracts.  They want to be given the world and throw hissy fits up to the point where they are lucky to even get anything more than a bridge contract.

I want to see Jake do well.  He fills a badly wanted need on the Canucks.  He just needs to do better than he did last season.

17 hours ago, Green Building said:

I may be prone to keeping (from a fan perspective) the room clear of poor attitudes (not that I have any actual say in it) I really don't see how Virtanen would be angry. I expect a guy llike him to be clearly communicated to about the reasons for his playing in the AHL, presumably for greater minutes or what have you. I highly highly highly doubt he would resent the Canucks for such a move if he doesn't look to be fitting in right away at camp. If he's attempting to have a career in this league he'll take the advice of the pro's, go to Utica and work like hell on his game so that he can be ready for injury call-up or what have you.

He's only 19, and had a decent season last year, but his showing in presason will determine where he plays, not fears over his ego being hurt.

I'm just worried about him getting butt-hurt if he gets demoted back to Utica.  The Canucks badly need a skilled middle-six power forward.

14 hours ago, PCK said:

I predict both virtanen and gaunce will start the season with utica since they wont have to go through waivers. I believe they will be used as call ups throughout the season. 

Sedin-sedin-hansen

Burrows-sutter-eriksson

Baer-horvat-rodin

Etem-granlund-dorsett

There are also some rumours that canucks may sign a ufa fwd or even trade for another fwd. 

Honestly I don`t see 6 million dollar man playing with Burrows while career-year 22 goals Hansen sticks with the twins. Did we not just go that route with Vrbata? It makes zero sense to me.

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

There should be no guarantied NHL roster spot for Virtanen entering camp, and management should tell him as much before he gets there.  It's possible we should have had him in UTICA all of last year, and I hope we don't make the same mistake again, his game is far from consistent.  This may be unpopular, but the kid needs to earn his NHL contract and more playing time and development never hurt anyone.  Hope he makes the team, but only if he deserves it, and that he isn't stuck on the 4th line just to keep him "treading water".  We have Burrows-Etem-Dorsett for a fourth line, not that shabby and Virtanen hasn't outplayed any of those guys yet.

Virtanen couldn't play in Utica last year. He was still junior-aged and would have had to be returned to the Calgary Hitmen if he didn't play in Vancouver.

There isn't a chance in hell he starts or goes to Utica this year unless it is for conditioning after an injury. They want him to develop but want that development here in Vancouver.

Virtanen should start next season in Utica. 

I don't think anyone can question that virtanen has the strength, skill, and speed to play in the NHL. However, I have heard from some friends within the league that virtanen has some attitude issues and is generally not liked amongst the players around the league and - to some extent - in the locker room. While i recognize that this sounds like speculation, it's also been well documented in his time with the Hitmen as well as team Canada. 

It also concerns me that each time I decide to go out in Vancouver for some drinks, I see Virtanen in every VIP lounge double-fisting bottles of wine and drinks. The only other player i've seen more frequently when i'm out downtown is Kassian - which should be very concerning. He just strikes me as a guy who maybe isn't mature enough to deal with the success and attention that comes with being an NHL player. 

I'm not suggesting Virtanen is a bad kid by any means but - from what I have seen and heard - I think there is a sense of entitlement and a lack of maturity that is going to stunt his growth as a player. 

For that reason, no matter how well he performs in camp, I think Virtanen should start the season in Utica. With an appreciation for what it takes to play in the league and with the right attitude and commitment to the craft, I think he could be a very good player for years to come. 

By putting Virtanen in Utica, he will have to put the work in and appreciate what it takes to become a successful NHL player. 

43 minutes ago, JtotheRuss said:

Virtanen should start next season in Utica. 

I don't think anyone can question that virtanen has the strength, skill, and speed to play in the NHL. However, I have heard from some friends within the league that virtanen has some attitude issues and is generally not liked amongst the players around the league and - to some extent - in the locker room. While i recognize that this sounds like speculation, it's also been well documented in his time with the Hitmen as well as team Canada. 

It also concerns me that each time I decide to go out in Vancouver for some drinks, I see Virtanen in every VIP lounge double-fisting bottles of wine and drinks. The only other player i've seen more frequently when i'm out downtown is Kassian - which should be very concerning. He just strikes me as a guy who maybe isn't mature enough to deal with the success and attention that comes with being an NHL player. 

I'm not suggesting Virtanen is a bad kid by any means but - from what I have seen and heard - I think there is a sense of entitlement and a lack of maturity that is going to stunt his growth as a player. 

For that reason, no matter how well he performs in camp, I think Virtanen should start the season in Utica. With an appreciation for what it takes to play in the league and with the right attitude and commitment to the craft, I think he could be a very good player for years to come. 

By putting Virtanen in Utica, he will have to put the work in and appreciate what it takes to become a successful NHL player. 

I disagree with what you said about how he should start of in Utica no matter his camp if virts shows that he has stepped his game up since last season it would be hard to start in the A. Then again we'll never know till camp, just like Hutton last year... no chance in hell anyone wouldve guessed that he'd make the team forget about leading the teams defence in points. 

Also, may I ask for the sources on virtanen not being like by fellow teammates? I swear I've never heard anything like that, samething on the part about the booze... Don't know if you're just spitting out $&!# or what. Especially from a first time poster:huh:

I appreciate what you're saying about being a first time 

13 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

I disagree with what you said about how he should start of in Utica no matter his camp if virts shows that he has stepped his game up since last season it would be hard to start in the A. Then again we'll never know till camp, just like Hutton last year... no chance in hell anyone wouldve guessed that he'd make the team forget about leading the teams defence in points. 

Also, may I ask for the sources on virtanen not being like by fellow teammates? I swear I've never heard anything like that, samething on the part about the booze... Don't know if you're just spitting out $&!# or what. Especially from a first time poster:huh:

I appreciate what you say about being a first time poster. But then again, maybe I felt that was a topic with contributing to. 

While I do agree it would be a tough pill to swallow if he was placed in Utica regardless of how well he does in camp, it's not like he would be assigned there for the year. Good players deal with adversity and become better for it. He could work his way back very quickly with the right attitude. 

With respect to my sources, I have friends in the league - admittedly none on the canucks though. Some of these friends have played with Virtanen on teams in the past, others are well aware of the reputation he has gained. I have no issue being hated around the league (i.e. see Milan Lucic) - although when it is former teammates making reference to attitude it could be an issue. I admit that the comment about current teammates is second hand info, but the sedins openly called out some younger players this year for the first time in their career - citing that they didn't show respect for the game and what it took to be a professional. There are numerous articles - including a recent one quoting Burrows - that identifies these two players as Virtanen and Hutton. This corroborates what I am hearing. 

Finally, as I have already mentioned with respect to partying, I've seen it myself when I'm out - mid-season and off-season. I have friends and social media feeds that frequently show him lit up at bars. And i also know people he is friends with. Ive heard that he's partying less this off-season (after he's been spoken to), but he's still described as a guy who needs a little maturity and each of these people are concerned about him as a person and as a potential NHL player. I've never seen or heard of the Sedins, Sutter, Bieksa, Kesler, or any other prominent Canuck partying downtown at any point. 

Again, to make it clear, I actually really like Virtanen. I've met him a few times and he seems like a really nice kid. I also think he is the physical power-forward type player the Canucks have lacked and need. But I certainly don't want to see him in a canucks uniform this year to accelerate short-term success when he has the potential to be a difference-maker long term with the right attitude, maturity, and dedication. 

2 minutes ago, JtotheRuss said:

I appreciate what you're saying about being a first time 

I appreciate what you say about being a first time poster. But then again, maybe I felt that was a topic with contributing to. 

While I do agree it would be a tough pill to swallow if he was placed in Utica regardless of how well he does in camp, it's not like he would be assigned there for the year. Good players deal with adversity and become better for it. He could work his way back very quickly with the right attitude. 

With respect to my sources, I have friends in the league - admittedly none on the canucks though. Some of these friend have played with Virtanen on teams in the past, others are well aware of the reputation he has gained. I have no issue being hated around the league (i.e. see Milan Lucic) - although when it is former teammates making reference to attitude it could be an issue. I admit that the comment about current teammates is second hand info, but the sedins openly called out some younger players this year for the first time in their career - citing that they didn't show respect for the game and what it took to be a professional. There are numerous articles - including a recent one quoting Burrows - that identifies these two players as Virtanen and Hutton. This corroborates what I am hearing. 

Finally, as I have already mentioned with respect to partying, I've seen it myself when I'm out. I have friends with snapchat feeds that frequently show him "LIT" at bars. And i also know people he is friends with. Ive heard that he's partying a less this off-season, but he's still described as a guy who needs a little maturity and each of these people are concerned about him as a person and as a potential NHL player. I've never seen or heard of the Sedins, Sutter, Bieksa, Kesler, or any other prominent Canuck partying downtown at any point. 

I accept the kid parties, but I didn't know he smoked too.  That's not good for a long career in this modern, hyper speed game. 

On 25/07/2016 at 8:13 AM, Realtor Rod said:

While Benning is GM Virtanen stays with the big club. JB wants him to be around the NHL guys and learn from them. His toolset is nhl level and ready. 

This ^^ right here. In one of the recent interviews, maybe the Eriksson press conference, from what I remember, JB eluded to him being here in a read between the lines manner. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This ^^ right here. In one of the recent interviews, maybe the Eriksson press conference, from what I remember, JB eluded to him being here in a read between the lines manner. 

Linden right now on TSN 1040 saying JV needs to mature more into a pro, but some players take longer than others - not everyone is a pro so young like Bo. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Linden right now on TSN 1040 saying JV needs to mature more into a pro, but some players take longer than others - not everyone is a pro so young like Bo. 

You could take that as he's going to Utica, sure. Doesn't mean he is but obviously they're not ruling out options. I'm betting he'll be here. If not, I'll gladly say I was wrong. 

Archived