The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] F Valeri Nichushkin to KHL

TDemko16

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You honestly think this has to do with developing his game? Seriously?  This is why 3 years ago when he was drafted people already said he'd bolt back to Russian.  That's not because so many people know the future, but because it's this is the common Russian tactic, full fill my demand or I go back to Russia....

I agree with you.  However, do you think he could help us?  Nuke with Bo and Jake maybe?  Skill, size, speed, aggression.  

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

God forbid he learn something from a coach with over 1400 games of NHL coaching experience. What a horrible environment to be coached in, I mean look how much he's suffocating Benn and Seguin's offensive game...

This has all the signs of a young entitled player that doesn't wanna earn it. He wants a quick payday and the KHL is the best opportunity to do that. That's fine if that's what he's about, but lets not pretend this is on Lindy Ruff.

Sometimes players can have issues with certain coaches and vice versa. I am not privy to Nichushkin's problems with Ruff but I know how it feels to play under the wrong coach. If Nichushkin feels that his development is stagnating under Ruff then he has every right to find a way out. John Tortorella has 1000+ games under his belt and he was a disaster in Vancouver. Sometimes the most experienced of coaches fail to get the most of their players.

You have no idea what Nich's motivations are. His reported salary is not high enough to call this a "quick payday". You have your tired narrative of the greedy Russian and you are trying to force Nichushkin under that even if the pieces don't quite fit.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You honestly think this has to do with developing his game? Seriously?  This is why 3 years ago when he was drafted people already said he'd bolt back to Russian.  That's not because so many people know the future, but because it's this is the common Russian tactic, full fill my demand or I go back to Russia....

People said that about every single Russian that was ever drafted. The only reason players in Nichushkin's situation head back is because they don't feel their game is developing especially when they have problems with the coach. They then try and choose the right moment to make a comeback. 

There are numerous examples of players that have benefited from such moves. Hudler left Detroit for the KHL and then returned. Giordano also played in the KHL leaving Calgary for one season before returning. Burmistrov is another guy who took the same path. 

There is no reason he cannot benefit from the KHL like the players before him have.

25 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

An RFA is not free to sign with anyone they choose...  This does show a lack of commitment to making the NHL.  Nick is taking the easy road and I think he is done in Dallas.  I cannot see Lindy Ruff digging his choice. 

Just imagine he he was a Canuck and Dallas drafted Bo...  

The "restricted" status only applies to the NHL. Nichushkin was free to sign with whomever he wanted outside of the NHL. Context is important.

Making it to the NHL? Nichushkin has been in the NHL for a while now. His development has stalled and he isn't happy with the coach/system and his role under the same. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Sometimes players can have issues with certain coaches and vice versa. I am not privy to Nichushkin's problems with Ruff but I know how it feels to play under the wrong coach. If Nichushkin feels that his development is stagnating under Ruff then he has every right to find a way out. John Tortorella has 1000+ games under his belt and he was a disaster in Vancouver. Sometimes the most experienced of coaches fail to get the most of their players.

You have no idea what Nich's motivations are. His reported salary is not high enough to call this a "quick payday". You have your tired narrative of the greedy Russian and you are trying to force Nichushkin under that even if the pieces don't quite fit.

People said that about every single Russian that was ever drafted. The only reason players in Nichushkin's situation head back is because they don't feel their game is developing especially when they have problems with the coach. They then try and choose the right moment to make a comeback. 

There are numerous examples of players that have benefited from such moves. Hudler left Detroit for the KHL and then returned. Giordano also played in the KHL leaving Calgary for one season before returning. Burmistrov is another guy who took the same path. 

There is no reason he cannot benefit from the KHL like the players before him have.

The "restricted" status only applies to the NHL. Nichushkin was free to sign with whomever he wanted outside of the NHL. Context is important.

Making it to the NHL? Nichushkin has been in the NHL for a while now. His development has stalled and he isn't happy with the coach/system and his role under the same. 

Those players didn't leave for player development.  They left because they thought they would get paid more.  In hudlers case he got paid 10 mil over two years compared to 5.25 over two years...  This is a selfish move by Nichushkin and you're crazy if you think this move is anything but negative for the dallas stars.

Archived