The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Sieloff dirty hit on teammate Clarke MacArthur causes huge fight in Senators scrimmage

Odd.

If the only way you can get noticed in camp is to lay out one of your own teammates in a scrimmage, you weren't going to make the team anyway. It's a scrimmage. You get told in rep tryouts from the earliest of ages that the point isn't to take each others' heads off. 

It was a stupid play from a thick-headed kid not understanding the context of the game.

Hit was completely clean. 

Just not something you do in a team scrimmage and especially to a veteran player.

MacArthur wasn't expecting it, but at the same time he is incredibly fragile. As mentioned before, if it was a guy like Neil getting hit the same way, they would've just bounced off each other. 

2 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Don't worry,  Boucher and Crow will fix all that.  Bobby Ryan just getting his frustration out that he didn't get picked for Team USA,

Bobby Ryan in a fight with this Seilof guy?  I always thought Ryan could be a much better than (just) average player, if he brought a hard nosed, tough to play against physical game.  Good for him.  He's a very likeable person, from what I've heard of him.  

Charging maybe? Clarke had his head down, turned and got rocked (might watch the video again though). But considering it's a scrimmage against your own players maybe relax a little. Honestly I can't say though. If I'm a bubble player playing for my life trying to make it to the big leagues I can't say for certain I wouldn't be playing my balls off. 

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Charging maybe? Clarke had his head down, turned and got rocked (might watch the video again though). But considering it's a scrimmage against your own players maybe relax a little. Honestly I can't say though. If I'm a bubble player playing for my life trying to make it to the big leagues I can't say for certain I wouldn't be playing my balls off. 

Sure you'd be playing your balls off. That hit was a blindside one though. Incredibly DUMB play that, even if MacArthur didn't get injured, would not cement a spot on the roster. Teams understand if you're "tough" but they want players that can contribute in all facets of the game.

That's why the hit was incredibly dumb.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Sure you'd be playing your balls off. That hit was a blindside one though. Incredibly DUMB play that, even if MacArthur didn't get injured, would not cement a spot on the roster. Teams understand if you're "tough" but they want players that can contribute in all facets of the game.

That's why the hit was incredibly dumb.

There is some fault on MacArthur's half. Had his head down. I admit the hit didn't need to happen though. Given the circumstances. And hits like these are on the way out so I guess I can see how this is pretty much all on Sieloff. Very unfortunate turn out regardless and hurts Sieloff and the team as a whole going forward. Hopefully MacArthur is okay and if not recovers quickly.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

There is some fault on MacArthur's half. Had his head down. I admit the hit didn't need to happen though. Given the circumstances. And hits like these are on the way out so I guess I can see how this is pretty much all on Sieloff. Very unfortunate turn out regardless and hurts Sieloff and the team as a whole going forward. Hopefully MacArthur is okay and if not recovers quickly.

Sure. Problem is that he isn't expecting a hit - especially not at that magnitude and not in a scrimmage. Mayyybbee he had his head down during a time when he let his guard down. So yeah, it is all Sieloff's fault. What a dumb hit.

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Stop. It doesn't matter if he had his head down or not. The hit should never have ben thrown in the first place.

On 9/25/2016 at 4:33 PM, RRypien37 said:

Hit was completely clean. 

Just not something you do in a team scrimmage and especially to a veteran player.

MacArthur wasn't expecting it, but at the same time he is incredibly fragile. As mentioned before, if it was a guy like Neil getting hit the same way, they would've just bounced off each other. 

Exactly.  Hard to imagine that Clarke would've lasted 20 games if that wrecked him.  Too bad though, I love how ballsy he plays, and how his sneaky wrister always seems to fool goalies or produce rebounds.

On 9/26/2016 at 8:58 AM, N7Nucks said:

Not even remotely charging, or boarding.  It's blindside, and I can't tell if it's a head-shot, but it looks like it may not even be a penalty.  Seriously though, don't do it in practice.

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Stop. It doesn't matter if he had his head down or not. The hit should never have ben thrown in the first place.

Protecting yourself on the ice is pretty important, even on the first day of camp.  And I'm a guy that never wants to see another Scott Stevens hit. 

I hope MacArthur makes it back, but should he even?

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Exactly.  Hard to imagine that Clarke would've lasted 20 games if that wrecked him.  Too bad though, I love how ballsy he plays, and how his sneaky wrister always seems to fool goalies or produce rebounds.

Did you find out whose truck it was?

Archived