The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

16 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I guess we see different teams. More than 1/2 our team will be under 25 next season and they can hold their own for a wildcard spot if healthy. In 2 season this team will be completely rebuilt and most likely a playoff contender. For me, thats a successful rebuild on the fly vs. 10 years of suckage. 

Perhaps I am impatient...I have been accused of that before. 

I am not convinced the "mentoring" from our core vets is as valuable as JB seems to think and I have serious concerns about WD's deployments.  He seems to have decided when he got here which players were going to do what and has only made changes when forced to, always reverting back to his plan at first opportunity.  Just don't see him as a good choice for a re-building team and don't see progress in how the team is playing.  I get the talent void thing but after more than half a season, the team should be playing a consistent and effective system regardless of personnel.  Lately they look like they are getting worse and less structured

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah, its probably just still me. I still see a skilled player there in a crap situation but I could be seeing what I want to as well. 

For me, when you hit that 6,000,000 level you are paid to make a crappy situation better. Vrbata didn't bother me nearly as much because his contract was awesome. When you really start to look at this LE anchor and the timing of an emerging core. His contract looks worse and worse. Let's say we start to pile up a really talented, skillful core that is on the cusp of greatness. what if that bonehead contract forces us to move a great young player or pick to make room for it or to dump it. This ownership hates the buyout option as well. 

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

Perhaps I am impatient...I have been accused of that before. 

I am not convinced the "mentoring" from our core vets is as valuable as JB seems to think and I have serious concerns about WD's deployments.  He seems to have decided when he got here which players were going to do what and has only made changes when forced to, always reverting back to his plan at first opportunity.  Just don't see him as a good choice for a re-building team and don't see progress in how the team is playing.  I get the talent void thing but after more than half a season, the team should be playing a consistent and effective system regardless of personnel.  Lately they look like they are getting worse and less structured

I agree with all of this, except the mentoring part. I do think Bo learned a lot from Burr and Henrik, and he's said so a few times. 

Willie.... ugh. I hope that ends in the offseason and fades into Canucks lore... 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

For me, when you hit that 6,000,000 level you are paid to make a crappy situation better. Vrbata didn't bother me nearly as much because his contract was awesome. When you really start to look at this LE anchor and the timing of an emerging core. His contract looks worse and worse. Let's say we start to pile up a really talented, skillful core that is on the cusp of greatness. what if that bonehead contract forces us to move a great young player or pick to make room for it or to dump it. This ownership hates the buyout option as well. 

Imagine the Canucks with 20 points less. I guess I'm looking forward to next season already to the Baer-Bo-Loui line and hoping it looks like Dallas 2010. 

6 mil doesn't get what it used to. If you want "elite" you need to cough up 10. 

I don't know, maybe its the rye, but I think Loui is better than CDC is giving him credit for. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I agree with all of this, except the mentoring part. I do think Bo learned a lot from Burr and Henrik, and he's said so a few times. 

Willie.... ugh. I hope that ends in the offseason and fades into Canucks lore... 

I am probably being overly harsh and I know Bo has spoken of how he has learned about being a pro from Burr and the twins.  I am thinking more of learning how to play on the ice.  I am so tired with the slow-the-game-down, cycle ad-nauseum approach along with the lack of team physicality.  I want to see a quantum shift away from that and all the reminders of that. 

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I am probably being overly harsh and I know Bo has spoken of how he has learned about being a pro from Burr and the twins.  I am thinking more of learning how to play on the ice.  I am so tired with the slow-the-game-down, cycle ad-nauseum approach along with the lack of team physicality.  I want to see a quantum shift away from that and all the reminders of that. 

For sure, these are hard games to watch. Blow-ups are easier to understand and stomach in some ways, you don't have any expectations and are never let down. 

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Imagine the Canucks with 20 points less. I guess I'm looking forward to next season already to the Baer-Bo-Loui line and hoping it looks like Dallas 2010. 

6 mil doesn't get what it used to. If you want "elite" you need to cough up 10. 

I don't know, maybe its the rye, but I think Loui is better than CDC is giving him credit for. 

You sure it's not koolaid?:P

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

When I was growing up in Saskatchewan we mixed 5 star rye whiskey and grape coolaid cause we had no mix. Called it purple Diesel. 

just spent most of the last four years in sask.  I'm not surprised in the least.  But yeah man, that's rough drinking.  Did you just dump the crystals into the bottle?  I would have.

20 minutes ago, riffraff said:

just spent most of the last four years in sask.  I'm not surprised in the least.  But yeah man, that's rough drinking.  Did you just dump the crystals into the bottle?  I would have.

No, but that's hardcore. Like this thread. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Other than Bo, who on your list stands out as another elite player?  I absolutely agree that JB is turning over the roster.  I just don't see the end product (other than Bo) as being any better than just average.  I have high hopes for Juiolevvi, Boeser, Lockwood, and Gaudette.  But it's only hopeful thinking.  Those guys have yet to show at the NHL level.  We need elite young guys to go along with Bo, don't we? 

Then we bottom out, draft high, and have a stable of competent young NHL'ers and developing prospects to go with the elite talent we draft at the end of the rebuild. Doesn't that make more sense than cleaning the team out at the start and having elite talent with nothing but career AHL'ers to surround them with?

12 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

WTF Alf? This is what 1/2 our lineup could very easily end up looking like next year (ages next season). That sure looks like a youth movement to me. And thats not couting a potential high draft pick, college free agent,  or another trade. You think Bo's "wasted" when the rebuild is more than 1/2 the team next year?

Baer (25)

Boeser (20)

Boucher (23)

Gaunce (23)

Granlund (24)

Horvat (22)

Virtanen (21)

Gudbranson (25)

Hutton (23)

Stecher (23)

Tryamkin (23)

Juolevi (20)

You would be as well talking to a ball of fur.

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Have to agree. I hated the LE signing AND the term. 

I thought we would have signed a much more physical player who would chip in points wise for 3 years and then say "see ya" leaving the way clear for our up and coming prospects.

Frankly I don't think he is as bad as we all think and it can't be easy playing with the Twins when you are not related but still, he is just too soft for my liking.

I really thought JB was going to change the image of the team and he has to a certain extent with Try and Guddy but Ericsson was a lost opportunity imo.

The way I see it the Twins are a massive deficit in physicality and speed on this team and so every signing and every trade should be a compensation move - and this was one we flunked.

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

What makes you say that? They bought out Ballard, Booth, and Higgins. 

13 hours ago, LaBamba said:

If you leave the Canuck bubble. This is pretty much what people tell you when you reveal the fact you are a Canuck fan. While I was working in Alberta during this last stint I must have been told this half a dozen times.  

So now that all the predictions about how bad we were going to be this season were wrong and the team found a way to win game that they shouldn't, that's now bad too.

At this point I want the team to trade assets for futures, and draft a bit higher, the season has had some really positive developments for the future. 

Never listen to the Alberta hockey fans. I worked out west for years and almost every hockey fan was an absolute homer with only hatred when it comes to the Canucks. 

The team was picked to be dead last, Horvat was only ever going to be a third liner etc. I had Oilers fans say that they would never trade any player off their roster for both twins when they were at their peak. 

Hardly an unbiased source to be found regarding the Canucks in Alberta. 

EW

20 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

So now that all the predictions about how bad we were going to be this season were wrong and the team found a way to win game that they shouldn't, that's now bad too.

At this point I want the team to trade assets for futures, and draft a bit higher, the season has had some really positive developments for the future. 

Never listen to the Alberta hockey fans. I worked out west for years and almost every hockey fan was an absolute homer with only hatred when it comes to the Canucks. 

The team was picked to be dead last, Horvat was only ever going to be a third liner etc. I had Oilers fans say that they would never trade any player off their roster for both twins when they were at their peak. 

Hardly an unbiased source to be found regarding the Canucks in Alberta. 

EW

Did you expect them to be sympathetic to a Canuck fan? Canuck fans are just as bad regarding Alberta teams and the big hate for anything Leaf.

12 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Did you expect them to be sympathetic to a Canuck fan? Canuck fans are just as bad regarding Alberta teams and the big hate for anything Leaf.

No expectations, but really feel the Oilers fans are amongst the worst in the league. Every time is 'how many cups has your team won'.  Now it's how many 1st OA has your team had. 

I got family in Deadmonton and they are lovely people until hockey comes into the conversation.  That and Climate Change. 

16 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

No expectations, but really feel the Oilers fans are amongst the worst in the league. Every time is 'how many cups has your team won'.  Now it's how many 1st OA has your team had. 

I got family in Deadmonton and they are lovely people until hockey comes into the conversation.  That and Climate Change. 

Any fan of a team that has won a cup uses that, it comes with the territory of cheering for a team that doesn't have one. If the Canucks had won a cup they would probably wouldn't be slagged half as much by the media or trolls from other teams.

Archived