The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

1 minute ago, Jam126 said:

The truth lies in the interviews where TL and JB talk. Not some guy in his cubicle fidgeting wondering what fabricated drama they're going to create today.

You don't think there is any truth at all whatsoever in this article? I think it's over the top and almost comical but there is "something" otherwise it wouldn't have made it through the gauntlet of editors. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

You don't think there is any truth at all whatsoever in this article? I think it's over the top and almost comical but there is "something" otherwise it wouldn't have made it through the gauntlet of editors. 

The only thing I agree with this article is in the title. The Canucks play a very boring style of hockey, but JB and TL have repeated over and over throughout the season that the results don't effect anything with their plans at the TDL.

Yeah, not the best article.

We're rotating players fairly steadily to get younger players into the lineup, even if we have a percentage of the old core that will stay to help mentor. We're bringing in players around the same age group that can help continue to mentor as that old core is finally replaced. We aren't looking to continually trade away picks and prospects now that we've managed that gap but instead are saving them and drafting well where we can.

Sure, we're not drafting 1st overall each year (or even in the top 3, although we should have last year) but we aren't pulling out all the stops to get to the playoffs either.

2 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

The only thing I agree with this article is in the title. The Canucks play a very boring style of hockey, but JB and TL have repeated over and over throughout the season that the results don't effect anything with their plans at the TDL.

I agree, however, I think it also shows how it may prevent them from being sellers, after they imply it's what we need to do. 

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, not the best article.

We're rotating players fairly steadily to get younger players into the lineup, even if we have a percentage of the old core that will stay to help mentor. We're bringing in players around the same age group that can help continue to mentor as that old core is finally replaced. We aren't looking to continually trade away picks and prospects now that we've managed that gap but instead are saving them and drafting well where we can.

Sure, we're not drafting 1st overall each year (or even in the top 3, although we should have last year) but we aren't pulling out all the stops to get to the playoffs either.

Manufacturing picks Vs selling picks

Signing big UFA's vs not Signing bIg UFA's. 

stuff like that. I don't think we need to finish last, but I don't think we need to be giving anything up or signing big UFA's. 

look at our 2 big moves in the summer. Did absolutely nothing to effect the outcome of this season. Only hurt us down the road. 

Teams like the Canucks with little offensive talent can only win if they focus on defense first systems.

Canucks try to limit other teams chances and get their own  lucky break / goal.    This is basically the only way to win when you have a team with so little offensive skill in its lineup. 

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Teams like the Canucks with little offensive talent can only win if they focus on defense first systems.

Canucks try to limit other teams chances and get their own  lucky break / goal.    This is basically the only way to win when you have a team with so little offensive skill in its lineup. 

That is part of it, but there are also teams that are simply notorious counterpunchers - ie that was signature Bruins hockey in their best years.

This team though - missing a top 6 forward most of the year, missing a top 4 pairing most of the season - they no doubt would like to be slightly more aggressive, but such a young blueline and lacking a 20 goal scorer when they were looking to add one - not surprising they're not looking to get into track meets night after night.

Losing Baertschi just as they get Hansen back would be another step backwards.

But give them a year or two and the claims of a lack of talent won't be as prevalent imo.

The team has needed more drive from their blueline - and they'll get that in due course.

4 hours ago, VanGnome said:

All those years we laughed at the Flames for doing exactly this, and we're repeating the very same mistakes. Deluded management too close to see really just how bad the team is night in, night out, and a lot of that is due to the coaching personnel and their decisions.

This team as constructed minus a few pieces here and there ARE capable of playing a high up tempo game. We just need a coaching staff that can inspire confidence and make players believe they can make plays. Eriksson looks like a shell of his former self in the first year of a 6 year deal. That's BAD.

WD is coaching the talent out of this team, and it's pissing me off.

TL and JB's defiant insistence of their support for WD is beyond insanity.

We don't actually need to tear down and rebuild. We need to be coached properly and to play to our strengths... the youth we DO have NOW need to be given the reigns to be creative and have the slack in the leash in order to make, and learn from their mistakes.

WD's choking, slow and boring win at all costs has us effectively at .500 hockey. I don't see how actually being competitive with a competent offensive strategy could lose us many more games. WD is coaching himself out of this city by not endearing himself and his decisions to us the fans. It's a business, I get it. His job is to win games, I get it. But you know what they don't get? This is a business who's SOLE purpose is to ENTERTAIN FANS, so that money is spent and revenues generated and their salaries paid.

WD and the coaching staff are complacent and taking for granted that they're coaching where they are, while neglecting the sole aspect that keeps them in those jobs to begin with. Management similarly is hushing US the fans like misbehaving children saying "The adults are talking, go back to whatever unimportant thing it is you're trying to distract us with."

Worst of all, OWNERSHIP is driving this ship, and ignoring the fans at the same time. This $&!# doesn't flow up, it flows top down.

</rant>

you are seriously deluded if you think coaching is holding this team back from being a playoff contender

it is clearly lack of experienced and developed talent

look at our blue line.. nice pieces.. they just need some experience to fully develop

we lack a true 1st line, we seem to have 2 second lines presently

coaching is not the issue

lack of established talent is

this team would have to over achieve just to make the playoffs

they are almost doing that until the past week or so

they are well enough coached at present

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are seriously deluded if you think coaching is holding this team back from being a playoff contender

look at our blue line.. nice pieces.. they just need some experience to fully develop

You seem to have inferred something from my post, especially since I was not implying it. What I said was, had the coaching actually coached instead of choking the life out of the playing style of the team, I doubt we'd have significantly more losses than we already do.

We CAN be competitive and fun to watch with the personnel we have, it just needs to be deployed correctly. Does that make us a playoff team? Well, based on the standings in this conference it could get us closer to the playoffs than what this style is proving capable of. Does that make us contenders, or capable of winning a playoff series? No I think we have too many deficiencies to achieve that THIS year.

Willie is regressing, coaching a win at all costs by not making mistakes style of hockey, but he's failing at that because the team we have is neither an elite shutdown team, nor an elite offensive team. What we are is a group of moderately skilled individuals, some past their best before date, others near their prime years. What we should be doing is playing a tenacious, take no prisoners, smart deployment system; but noooo, it's way too much to ask the head coach to actually come up with a viable strategy.

I've said ALL along, that I would be fine with the team losing and making mistakes... if they were engaging, entertaining and fun to watch. They're not, they are piss boring to watch AND manage to make such colossal mistakes that an actual AHL team with a good coach could probably beat us straight up.

It comes down to executing a game plan in such a fashion so as to remove all doubts from the players minds so they can just play hockey.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

We know your thoughts on just how much we should sell, but that doesn't mean we aren't sellers if we don't go all in on the tank.

It's funny how a upholder of the law like yourself doesn't know how to use the "quote" feature. 

33 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

I totally agree, if Dallas Eakins was coaching us with average goaltending I'm not sure we would win a single game. I am one of the few who thinks our coaching staff has been Jam up. 

5 hours ago, LaBamba said:

It's kind of a combination of many things and ideas that confuse a lot of people. Let's forget about the circumstances and just look at what was on paper. 

1. 3rd last

2. All pending UFA's walked

3. Went to draft (after finishing 3rd last) with less picks than most of the playoff teams. 

4. Signed the second biggest UFA available. 

5. Added another 1 dimensional defensive defender with one of our few trading chips. What McCann has done since is irrelevant. At the time of the deal, his value should have been used on skill, not another Sbisa/Tryamkin/Tanev style Dman. 

This sounds like a team like the Blackhawks or Penguins offseason. Not the 3rd worse team in the league. 

It does make sense though if you understand 2 things - 1. Benning is not a 'tankist' and 2. Hammer and Vbrata simply didn't provide good options for moving them, as was their negotiated right. 

5 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

That's good but he isn't really wrong.  This is not a good team and the product is crap.  If it was improving, that would be one thing but after 2.5 years of WD and the "get younger and faster" regime, the team shows no sign of trending upward. 

I guess we see different teams. More than 1/2 our team will be under 25 next season and they can hold their own for a wildcard spot if healthy. In 2 season this team will be completely rebuilt and most likely a playoff contender. For me, thats a successful rebuild on the fly vs. 10 years of suckage. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

It does make sense though if you understand 2 things - 1. Benning is not a 'tankist' and 2. Hammer and Vbrata simply didn't provide good options for moving them, as was their negotiated right. 

Again, forget the circumstances. Also, you don't need to be a "Tankist" to restrain yourself from signing a piece of crap like LE. Who ironically did nothing to increase our ability to win games this season. Even more ironically, one could argue that his wasted cap space is preventing JB from acquiring more offensive help. Let's all put on our tin foil hats for a second and imagine that maybe, just maybe, JB acquired LE to 1. waste capspace. 2. Which makes us less competitive. 3. Results in lower finish. Is JB a "tankist" ?

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Again, forget the circumstances. Also, you don't need to be a "Tankist" to restrain yourself from signing a piece of crap like LE. Who ironically did nothing to increase our ability to win games this season. Even more ironically, one could argue that his wasted cap space is preventing JB from acquiring more offensive help. Let's all put on our tin foil hats for a second and imagine that maybe, just maybe, JB acquired LE to 1. waste capspace. 2. Which makes us less competitive. 3. Results in lower finish. Is JB a "tankist" ?

I get what you're saying, except when you look at the numbers the only time the Sedins have had any production is with LE. I still think he's a good player in a crap situation. When Willlie pulled him off the Sedin line after game 4 I thought, f***, here comes the Vrbata treatment. 

LE needs a strong centre, and if Henrik can't get it done anymore LE should be with Bo. If you look at Loui's history when paired with a guy like Richardson he's done really well. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I get what you're saying, except when you look at the numbers the only time the Sedins have had any production is with LE. I still think he's a good player in a crap situation. When Willlie pulled him off the Sedin line after game 4 I thought, f***, here comes the Vrbata treatment. 

LE needs a strong centre, and if Henrik can't get it done anymore LE should be with Bo. If you look at Loui's history when paired with a guy like Richardson he's done really well. 

I didn't think people were still making excuses for him, my bad. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I didn't think people were still making excuses for him, my bad. 

Yah, its probably just still me. I still see a skilled player there in a crap situation but I could be seeing what I want to as well. 

Archived