The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sure thats a factor too. But that doesn't make us the crappiest fan base anywhere, thats just pure BS. I used to live within walking distance of the Colosseum and went to a lot of Giants games and the fans there were great. And you're right, if some of those east van families could afford Canucks tix it would be a better building environment. But to blanket the whole fan base like you're doing isn't right. 

Places that have few interesting things to do always talk about how great "the people" are where there from. There's a reason for that. 

What do you do at 7pm in the rain that a person from Edmonton can't do? Of course there is a good fanbase in Vancouver but it's spoiled by the others who boo their own players off the ice and call for the coaches head when their talent deprived team isn't 1st in the pacific. Couldn't even sell out the heritage classic lol. What Canadian market has trouble selling out a stadium game! Only Vancouver. Pathetic we are.  

22 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sail. Ski. Bike all year. Hike and golf most of the year. Foodie heaven in restaurants and markets. Many more live cultural events (plays, music, etc) and galleries. 2X the gardening season. Easier travel. Fun neighbourhoods like gastown, yaletown, west end, chinatown, etc. Markets like Granville Island and the Richmond night market. 

You need to get out more. 

Sking around calgary is better.  Vancouver might have more areas and a bigger cultural demographic but Calgary isn't some dump.  I've lived in both cites and I'll take Calgary every time, it's not even close.  You need to visit Calgary more

If you want the reason it's demographics.  just as Meryl Streep, sporting events (like football and UFC) is for the right, which alberta is full of.  BC, not so much

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So if you feel that way why are you paying Vancouver prices to live here? 

I was born and raised here. Have family here. I did some moving around and moved back when my mother became terminally ill. Just stayed after she passed away. You living here because of the plays and restaurants?

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sking around calgary is better.  Vancouver might have more areas and a bigger cultural demographic but Calgary isn't some dump.  I've lived in both cites and I'll take Calgary every time, it's not even close.  You need to visit Calgary more

If you want the reason it's demographics.  just as Meryl Streep, sporting events (like football and UFC) is for the right, which alberta is full of.  BC, not so much

Thats just not true. I do a lot of downhill and nordic and Camore doesn't measure up to Whistler Olympic Park. Banff is great tho but compared to Whistler I don't think you can say one over the other. 

I can't stand Calgary, spent a lot of time working there as a consultant and happy never to return. 

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I was born and raised here. Have family here. I did some moving around and moved back when my mother became terminally ill. Just stayed after she passed away. You living here because of the plays and restaurants?

I did move here for a lot of reasons and access to more things to do was a big factor. We go out a lot so if that's not high up on the list then I can see why people would think one place was the same as another. 

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I thought the comparison was between Edmonton and Vancouver. That being said, Calgary is a pretty cool city, aside from Flames fans.

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

What do you do at 7pm in the rain that a person from Edmonton can't do? Of course there is a good fanbase in Vancouver but it's spoiled by the others who boo their own players off the ice and call for the coaches head when their talent deprived team isn't 1st in the pacific. Couldn't even sell out the heritage classic lol. What Canadian market has trouble selling out a stadium game! Only Vancouver. Pathetic we are.  

You're thinking of Toronto. I haven't seen anyone get boo'd off the ice or seen any jerserys thrown on the ice here.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. The main positive I see from this year is the emergence of the new core of players, which Willie does deserve some credit for getting going. His eye for what Horvat, Tryamkin, Baer, and Stecher needed to develop their game to the next level can't be ignored.

I do hope that Benning makes some significant moves to bolster personnel for a first line, as watching the Sedins play is becoming an exercise in futility, especially when paired with this guy.....

eriksson.thumb.png.6a2bcef90f938c1ea2e291016fbdf1c0.png

I have been so disappointed at the softness in LE's game.  Hard to believe he played for the Bruins. He makes the Twins look like enforcers.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I have been so disappointed at the softness in LE's game.  Hard to believe he played for the Bruins. He makes the Twins look like enforcers.

I wanted to believe that he was an upgrade on Vrbata, but after seeing him ghosting it out there, with no apparent injury and over half the season to get acclimated, the signing is starting to look like a bit of a blunder (to put it lightly).

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Great OP by @LaBamba. This is exactly the kind of analysis the Canucks should be doing but is, I suspect, the kind of thing Benning does not want to be bothered with. He would prefer to convince himself by the "eye test" that the Canucks look competitive.

The Canucks may hang around on the margins of the playoff race but they are not close to having the nucleus of future Cup contender. Personally, I have followed the Canucks for a long time and have seen many playoff teams but only a few genuine Cup contenders (and, of course, never an actual Cup). I want to see a Cup contender again. And that takes a rebuild. The Sedins have had great careers but there is no way they can be the central building block for a Cup contender now or down the road.

The Canucks should be doing everything they can to rebuild the pipeline, not wasting money on vets like Eriksson. But Benning just refuses to see things that way. I find it discouraging that we have to hope that Benning somehow gets forced into doing the right thing (trying to make deadline trades to acquire extra picks) instead of actually wanting to do that.

And the fact that both the high draft picks Benning has had are disappointing does not help. (I don't want to restart the argument about whether Juolevi was a good pick over Tkachuk or not. Pretty much everything that can be said has been said already. And the debate reminds of the Virtanen discussion. The Benning loyalists will of course defend the pick. Time will tell. But the Virtanen pick was obviously a swing and a miss.)

Benning has done well with lower draft picks and obviously signing Stecher was good (although it is hard to give Benning credit for that at Stecher wanted to come back to Vancouver). But I cannot think of any other aspect of the GM job that he has done well so far.

Trading for Granlund and Bear ? Your right about the top picks vs the late picks but that should make trades for picks easyer shouldn't it ? If you're asking for a second and a fourth instead of a first round pick there has to be more trade partners .

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bilbo, have you been to Edmonton?  Getting places in the winter can be extremely difficult.  Plus, the bugs are horrific in the summer.  There really is little to do, other than stay indoors all year round.  Why do you think the West Edmonton Mall is so huge?  One steps outside and they either freeze to death, or get eaten alive!  The horror of it.

Been to Edmonton many times. Calgary far more often though. Have relatives in both cities. Although it's been quite a few years since I've been to either. Winter driving never bothered me though. Lived in the Kootenays for close to 15 years. For a while had to drive 30 miles to work snow or no snow. Drove to Calgary in a snow storm for a Canucks game. A little snow never stopped me from getting out and doing things. Doesn't cause the panic there that it does here. You either hole up for 3 to 5 months or you get use to winter driving. I got use to it like those that lived there their entire lives. You simply adjust your driving to road conditions.

Use to golf, hike, camp, canoe, fish, mountain bike, and rock climb in the summers. Bugs didn't stop me from doing what I enjoyed in the summer either.

I hate these "who has the best fans" discussions.

hey, any team that have never lost a franchise due to lack of support raise their hands.

Not, so fast Winnipeg. 

All Canadian teams and quite a few American have great fans but for fun, lets visit the one that always comes up these days:

Oilers suck but kept selling. Yup, that is true but they also kept having the ability to sell the next best thing. They could sell hope. If McDavid joined the Canucks you wouldn't have empty seats regardless of the score. Plus they kept playing high tempo. Maybe you don't win but you don't watch a snorefest of a team trying not to lose.

Give the Oilers the same boring team we have had for the Benning era and they have a drop in sales too. Every year if the Nucks added Hall, Nuge and McDavid , we would trend up. 

Hope sells, hopelessness does not and 6 seasons watching LE enjoy his retirement pay ain't selling hope. 

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Been to Edmonton many times. Calgary far more often though. Have relatives in both cities. Although it's been quite a few years since I've been to either. Winter driving never bothered me though. Lived in the Kootenays for close to 15 years. For a while had to drive 30 miles to work snow or no snow. Drove to Calgary in a snow storm for a Canucks game. A little snow never stopped me from getting out and doing things. Doesn't cause the panic there that it does here. You either hole up for 3 to 5 months or you get use to winter driving. I got use to it like those that lived there their entire lives. You simply adjust your driving to road conditions.

Use to golf, hike, camp, canoe, fish, mountain bike, and rock climb in the summers. Bugs didn't stop me from doing what I enjoyed in the summer either.

If you're feeling nostalgic for some Kootenay winter driving, this would be a good year for a road trip.  6' snowbanks and another foot forecast overnight the next 24 hours.  I'd try to get out and ski or snowshoe but I'm too busy shoveling followed by the need to rest and recover.

East or west Kootenays?

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

If you're feeling nostalgic for some Kootenay winter driving, this would be a good year for a road trip.  6' snowbanks and another foot forecast overnight the next 24 hours.  I'd try to get out and ski or snowshoe but I'm too busy shoveling followed by the need to rest and recover.

East or west Kootenays?

East Kootenay. Just spent most of January in Cranbrook. Been a while since I had to shovel snow. Did it several times for my brother while I was there. He was on a buggered knee. Asked last week if I was coming back soon. lol

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

East Kootenay. Just spent most of January in Cranbrook. Been a while since I had to shovel snow. Did it several times for my brother while I was there. He was on a buggered knee. Asked last week if I was coming back soon. lo

maybe best to visit him in the summer.

Love the country around Cranbrook. Some of the most incredible scenery and outdoor activities.  

I had a position that took me all over the Columbia Basin and the east Kootenay trench was my favorite by far.  

16 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That's you, but most people in those cities you mention live an indoor life.  They travel places in their cars, sure, but they end up inside at the end of their journey. 

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

maybe best to visit him in the summer.

Love the country around Cranbrook. Some of the most incredible scenery and outdoor activities.  

I had a position that took me all over the Columbia Basin and the east Kootenay trench was my favorite by far.  

It is beautiful country if you like the outdoors. Hired a helicopter to drop me and a friend off back in the steeples range. Took us 12 days to hike out. Packs were damn heavy at the start of that trip but it was one of my favorite vacations. There likely aren't many trails in that area I didn't hike or mountain bike.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's you, but most people in those cities you mention live an indoor life.  They travel places in their cars, sure, but they end up inside at the end of their journey. 

Actually I think that's you Alf. lol

Just now, Baggins said:

It is beautiful country if you like the outdoors. Hired a helicopter to drop me and a friend off back in the steeples range. Took us 12 days to hike out. Packs were damn heavy at the start of that trip but it was one of my favorite vacations. There likely aren't many trails in that area I didn't hike or mountain bike.

Sounds amazing.  I do love that out here you can find isolation in nature within minutes of most communities.  Clean air and water, wildlife and almost no people.  I enjoy visiting the city for a couple days but I always exhale when I get back to the Koots.

Speaking of helicopters...around here, the Heli-skiiers are in ecstasy!!.   I am not an avid skier but apparently, skiing in snow over your head is thrilling. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

What do you do at 7pm in the rain

More than you can do in a blizzard or a drive thru. 

Hey, its just my personal experience re: Edmonton or Calgary. If you dig it, fantastic. I'm only speaking for myself and what I like. 

Archived