The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Micheal Haley suspended 1 game

5 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

He broke the hockey code. He may only be suspended one game by the DOPS, but his reputation around the league, especially among tough guys, has just plummeted.

Not really. Jarnkrok knew exactly what he did and knew full well Haley was coming after him. It wasn't a suprise out of no where blind side punch. Was it clean? No because Jarnkrok never dropped his gloves, but in no way was it a sucker punch. Haley was coming after him moving in front of him. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Not really. Jarnkrok knew exactly what he did and knew full well Haley was coming after him. It wasn't a suprise out of no where blind side punch. Was it clean? No because Jarnkrok never dropped his gloves, but in no way was it a sucker punch. Haley was coming after him moving in front of him. 

Hmm, maybe it's not considered a sucker punch, but I can't imagine his actions would go down well with other players throughout the league. Haley would be better off fighting an actual fighter than going after a guy like Jarnkrok.

Just now, ajhockey said:

Hmm, maybe it's not considered a sucker punch, but I can't imagine his actions would go down well with other players throughout the league. Haley would be better off fighting an actual fighter than going after a guy like Jarnkrok.

Haley has taken on anyone and everyone. He is an honest fighter. He was mad and wanted retribution for the hit. I don't see it as a predatory, unwarranted attack/bully tactic. 

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Haley has taken on anyone and everyone. He is an honest fighter. He was mad and wanted retribution for the hit. I don't see it as a predatory, unwarranted attack/bully tactic. 

I guess we just see things differently. In my mind, it's never okay to punch a guy when he hasn't accepted a fight. Iginla is a fighter that I greatly respected because he was one of the NHLs most respectful fighters. He got incensed, but would never engage unless the other player accepted his offer. In my mind, Haley should have challenged Jarnkrok, and then let it go when Jarnkrok denied, or instead then have challenged another one of his teammates who was willing to drop the gloves.

27 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

He broke the hockey code. He may only be suspended one game by the DOPS, but his reputation around the league, especially among tough guys, has just plummeted.

More guys should "break the hockey code" except against players that really deserve it, like that rat Marchand.

I'm 100% for breaking the code to tool guys like that. 

12 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Even if Calle knew that he had pissed off Haley, in the scrum he wasn't even looking at or facing Haley who just grabbed his jersey collar and punched him.  "Sucker punches" are unannounced, surprise punches and given how quickly everything transpired I'm not sure the incident could be looked at in another way.  

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Even if he was mad, he shouldn't have ignored that the refs had done what they had deemed fair to penalize Calle, and instead of catching him unexpectedly with a fist to his face he could have hit Calle clean during a play or have him answer the call one-on-one in a fight (of course Haley likely wouldn't be able to elicit a tilt from Calle given how he's a tough guy in the league while Calle isn't, but he still shouldn't have just jumped him.  Even someone known as a "skill" guy like Nuge went toe to toe with Hammer a couple seasons ago after a hit, so who's to say that Calle wouldn't stand up for himself?)

Makes me wonder how many games a Canuck would've gotten in a similar situation.

I don't see anything wrong with that play.

The dude flat out boarded him and then ran away like a $# chicken. 

He got what he deserved. 

Poke the beehive, you're gonna get stung son.

This should happen more often and you wouldn't have these turds running around doing stupid %$ 

I am of two minds on this, maybe even three.  Haley should not have attacked an unwilling combatant. Tough guys aren't suppose to and shouldn't normally do this. However, I am tired of %^$ disturbers who cheap shot players then hide behind their tough guys. Where is the retribution and fairness in that? darkpoet makes a great example of Marchand. Marchand takes cheap shot after cheap shot and never has to answer for them. This is where DOPS is suppose to in and suspend players like Marchand but they have not been reliable. So sometimes the tough guy should make an exemption and go after an unwilling combatant after receiving a cheap shot. If Jarnkrok is not a cheap shot artist like Marchand then Haley should not have attacked an unwilling combatant.

6 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I am of two minds on this, maybe even three.  Haley should not have attacked an unwilling combatant. Tough guys aren't suppose to and shouldn't normally do this. However, I am tired of %^%$ disturbers who cheap shot players then hide behind their tough guys. Where is the retribution and fairness in that? darkpoet makes a great example of Marchand. Marchand takes cheap shot after cheap shot and never has to answer for them. This is where DOPS is suppose to come in and suspend players like Marchand but they have not been reliable. So sometimes the tough guy should make an exemption and go after an unwilling combatant after receiving a cheap shot. If Jarnkrok is not a cheap shot artist like Marchand then Haley should not have attacked an unwilling combatant.

There is a medical term to describe such a thing, eh? ... ::D

In any case. you can trace all this nonsense back to the early/mid 90's when the NHL started really enforcing and tinkering with the Instigator Rule.

Up until that time the players basically still had the power to hold each other accountable. And they did. If some artard was running around out there acting like an assclown, he was gonna get tooled and that was the end of it.
But bleeding heart dough-heads like Ken Dryden weren't smart enough to understand all that "violence" was actually keeping the game safer and keeping guys more honest that they would be otherwise.
So they put the hammer down with the Instigator Rule, which penalizes guys for taking care of business. Then you bring in the Department of Player Safety in 2011 and let idiots like Shanahan run it - one of the dirtiest players of his era - and it's no wonder we have the mess we do.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Even if Calle knew that he had pissed off Haley, in the scrum he wasn't even looking at or facing Haley who just grabbed his jersey collar and punched him.  "Sucker punches" are unannounced, surprise punches and given how quickly everything transpired I'm not sure the incident could be looked at in another way.  

Even if he was mad, he shouldn't have ignored that the refs had done what they had deemed fair to penalize Calle, and instead of catching him unexpectedly with a fist to his face he could have hit Calle clean during a play or have him answer the call one-on-one in a fight (of course Haley likely wouldn't be able to elicit a tilt from Calle given how he's a tough guy in the league while Calle isn't, but he still shouldn't have just jumped him.  Even someone known as a "skill" guy like Nuge went toe to toe with Hammer a couple seasons ago after a hit, so who's to say that Calle wouldn't stand up for himself?)

Makes me wonder how many games a Canuck would've gotten in a similar situation.

20 years ago this would've been a non issue. NHL is just passified and I guess that's what you're used to. It's a mans game (or at least supposed to be). You make a decision, live by the potential consequences. 

Totally deserved suspension.

And, if I'm Haley's teammate, I'm chipping in to cover the lost pay. As a potential 1st-round opponent, I'd want the Preds to know that kind of s#!+ won't fly. Better to make the statement in a meaningless game you're already down in rather than during a playoff game.

46 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

20 years ago this would've been a non issue. NHL is just passified and I guess that's what you're used to. It's a mans game (or at least supposed to be). You make a decision, live by the potential consequences. 

I struggle to understand what makes this passive/ pacified.  If anything this is more of a man's kind of actions and living by the consequences-- Hammer did what he did, Nuge didn't like it and challenged Hammer, who stood up for himself, fair and square.  Nuge didn't just slash or punch Hammer while he wasn't looking but both were fully aware and willing combatants seeking to settle the score.    

Also, back to your point about this being a non-issue 20 years ago, I'd like to point out exactly that your point was about an era that's in the past, where the mammoth players pretty much slugged it out in a war of attrition and the rules were more liberal.  That's just how the league was back then, whereas refs and players nowadays will hold each other accountable in similar offenses.

On 2017-03-27 at 1:02 PM, ajhockey said:

He's fought nearly every guy in the league.  He fights over his weight and has paid his dues in the A.

im sure he's respected by whichever "goons" are in the NHL.

Archived