The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think Greens the new coach unless some miracle happens, like Quenville gets fired, and we make a big bid for them. I also talked to Jake Virtanen for like 10 mins over the weekend and he loves Green. He raved about him. 

Thats probably not a good thing...

If NYR gets beaten by OTT in second round does AV get the boot?

If so, it would make one hell of a story to bring him back. Not the best option but it would be so funny

Plus look at all the other teams hiring former head coaches

22 minutes ago, mpt said:

Maybe Green knows what kind of nightmare it will be here

That wouldn't surprise me at all, everyone says he's very astute lol. But seriously, he would take the job if it were offered to him. There are only 30 head coaching jobs so when one becomes available you take it and run. Unless you're Babcock, Quenneville or another high profile proven NHL coach... which T. Green is not

31 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think Greens the new coach unless some miracle happens, like Quenville gets fired, and we make a big bid for them. I also talked to Jake Virtanen for like 10 mins over the weekend and he loves Green. He raved about him. 

Ok then why haven't they hired him yet. What's to get here? I'm struggling with the math on this one. Quenneville is not going anywhere. He just re-upped did he not?. JB needs to get it right this time. His job could most definitely be on the line here if he hires another dud. Just sayin'

Does Julien get fired? Montreal expectations always high and they fire their coaches at the drop of a hat. Would be interesting bringing the most hated team's coach here though, but JB and Julien did work together and that's the biggest problem management had with WD who wouldn't do as they wanted.

Does DeBoer get fired? Sharks get bounced by the Oilers and they were supposed to be a contender this year. Play well all year then suck when it matters most. Do we even want DeBoer here then?

Does Boudreau get fired? Probably the best target for the Canucks. Skilled coach, lots of experience, just ran into a hot goalie but that Wild team is stacked and was by far the favourite. Boudreau's offence would really help out our skilled offensive kids and get the most out of these puck moving defencemen who have been stuck on 20-30 points (Stecher, Hutton, Juolevi coming in, Subban too).

42 minutes ago, mpt said:

Thats probably not a good thing...

When a player gets sent down to the AHL, a 'wake up call' - is obviously disappointed, and then plays under a coach that tough-loves him to improve his game without the puck, not leading to the kind of production that he might hope and expect - that can tend not to be terribly well received by young players.

If true, I think it definitely says something positive about Green, that Virtanen went through a season like this but privately raves about his coach.  It would suggest that Green got through to him and developed a strong relationship that Virtanen trusts in.

33 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Ok then why haven't they hired him yet. What's to get here?

That alone doesn't mean much.  It's been a mere week since Utica finished it's season.

I think you guys are reading too much into a still relatively small time frame.

If he's hired, they were still going to look at other options and complete the process - and he also potentially has other options - so it's not necessarily as simple as signing a prospect to an ELC.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That alone doesn't mean much.  It's been a mere week since Utica finished it's season.

I think you guys are reading too much into a still relatively small time frame.

If he's hired, they were still going to look at other options and complete the process - and he also potentially has other options - so it's not necessarily as simple as signing a prospect to an ELC.

They fired WD two weeks ago and they've had Green in the organization for almost four years. I believe they know what they have in Green by now but if they don't... why not? What's this process you're talking about. If Green is their guy then hire him and move on to the next order of business. During his exit media presser WD said he had a sense he would be let go after the season back in February. Its no small time frame at all. In fact it seems to be Green isn't in their plans at all. Am I wrong here

7 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

They fired WD two weeks ago and they've had Green in the organization for almost four years. I believe they know what they have in Green by now but if they don't... why not? What's this process you're talking about. If Green is their guy then hire him and move on to the next order of business. During his exit media presser WD said he had a sense he would be let go after the season back in February. Its no small time frame at all. In fact it seems to be Green isn't in their plans at all. Am I wrong here

Who knows (aside from management and Green) but the time frame doesn't really tell us anything one way or the other.  As I pointed out, Green may have other options he's weighing, the Canucks may have other people they're evaluating - neither of those things necessarily preclude Green from being the guy here in the end.

I think you're reading too much into the fact they haven't made a public decision yet.

On 4/23/2017 at 11:24 PM, two drink minimum said:

There are all kinds of scenarios behind the scenes we aren't privy to. One thing's for certain, though. We've learned by now that this management, especially the ownership in particular, is very concerned with optics. They don't want it seen that they made a hasty decision on a new head coach without doing their due diligence. It only makes sense, in either case, that they talk to Ruff, Lowry, and whoever else is currently being hyped by the media. 

Also, the very real possibility exists that they've already come to an agreement with Green, and are just waiting for an acceptable time (i.e. without it seeming like a knee-jerk reaction) to announce it.

I'd think the announcement would be forthcoming before the ping pong ball/placard one hour super-hype network draft lotto next week. This isn't a players' July 1st UFA situation. If Green really wants to be here, he'll wait a week or two.

Archived