The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..May 11,2017

Honky Cat

On 2017-05-11 at 3:27 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

His rating took a hit because of mono, if I'm not mistaken. I think Benning sees his immense talent, and will draft accordingly.

This is why I hope JB can pick up another top 6 pick, I know it is very unlikely.

But to come away with one of these centres Glass, Middlestat, Vilardi maybe as well as a Liljegren or Heskanen(sp?) would be amazing and would go a long way to improving fan morale as well.

If GM's this year are not big on the draft maybe this is the year JB could get another pick?

But then maybe this is the silliest year to try and do that?

I think Phili and Dallas and maybe Yotes or Fla are most open to acquiring impact players now?

Maybe trade for Fla or Ari 1st after Expansion draft and maybe use it to leapfrog to 2nd or 3rd overall?

Maybe Tanev + to Fla or Ari for 10th or 7th and either stand pat or then use that pick or 5th to trade up? Easier said than done, I know.

On 2017-05-16 at 9:48 AM, groovy said:

Seems like a year to potentially trade down a bit unless JB has a certain player as his clear target.

What do you propose?

I don't actually want JB to trade down but maybe there is something that could be a good move?

I think St. Louis' two top picks from last year are both interesting, but I haven't done much research.

To Van: Jordan Kyrou, 20th overall 2017

To St. Louis: 5th overall and 2nd from Columbus

I don't know if that would be enough going either way, but maybe Vancouver gets a young centre and still maybe get Foote?

7 hours ago, Calvin's Dog said:

What do you propose?

I don't actually want JB to trade down but maybe there is something that could be a good move?

I think St. Louis' two top picks from last year are both interesting, but I haven't done much research.

I don't know if that would be enough going either way, but maybe Vancouver gets a young centre and still maybe get Foote?

You want to trade our 5th overall pick PLUS a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round prospect from last year and a 20th overall pick? Seems like we are getting shafted on that one big time!

15 hours ago, Calvin's Dog said:

What do you propose?

No specific proposal, but if there is a feeling that 3-10 is a crap shoot, why not try to drop back to say 7-8? Unless, as I already stated, JB has his eye on a specific guy at 5.

16 hours ago, Calvin's Dog said:

What do you propose?

I think even the biggest St. Louis Blues homer in the world would know that trade would never happen. 

Edit: Sorry that was a bit mean. I think trade value would be completely off as we would literately be adding on assets to aqcuire a prospect with lower trade value. In other words, even though trading down could be a really good idea depending on the return, any GM that makes that trade on behalf of the Canucks would immediately be fired and would never find work in the NHL ever again. But the thought of trading down has good potential. 

1 hour ago, suitup said:

I think even the biggest St. Louis Blues homer in the world would know that trade would never happen. 

Edit: Sorry that was a bit mean. I think trade value would be completely off as we would literately be adding on assets to aqcuire a prospect with lower trade value. In other words, even though trading down could be a really good idea depending on the return, any GM that makes that trade on behalf of the Canucks would immediately be fired and would never find work in the NHL ever again. But the thought of trading down has good potential. 

Yeah, I won't quit my day job.

I just thought that because he had a breakout season in Sarnia that maybe his value has increased.

He is supposed to have really good speed and seems to be a pass first kind of player.

In fact I suspect St. Louis will continue to draft and retool as I think they have figured out their core doesn't have enough to win a cup.

They may not want to trade any of their young players/prospects.

I actually still think Dallas and Phili might be the best places to acquire another pick.

I think both of those teams might want to add good veterans and may have some cap dump wants as well.

I think 1st rounders are super hard to acquire though so overpayment might be too costly.

11 minutes ago, Calvin's Dog said:

Yeah, I won't quit my day job.

I just thought that because he had a breakout season in Sarnia that maybe his value has increased.

He is supposed to have really good speed and seems to be a pass first kind of player.

In fact I suspect St. Louis will continue to draft and retool as I think they have figured out their core doesn't have enough to win a cup.

They may not want to trade any of their young players/prospects.

I actually still think Dallas and Phili might be the best places to acquire another pick.

I think both of those teams might want to add good veterans and may have some cap dump wants as well.

I think 1st rounders are super hard to acquire though so overpayment might be too costly.

You're absolutely right in that his breakout season most definitely raised his value. But it takes a lot to acquire a 5th overall pick, and unfortunately Jordan Kryou has a lot more to prove before being able to be considered as a player of similar value to a 5th overall pick. I agree with you on that Dallas and Philly would be very open to trading their picks for the right price. But that would mean trading up as opposed to down. Also what that price is to acquire those picks remains to be seen... however I suspect Dallas would like some help on defense. 

Romain Loeffel-RHD

I am very confident he is the main guy Jim Benning is looking at during the World Championships. If we happen to deal Tanev, Loeffel looks like he can run our PP, and play with Sbisa on the 3rd pair behind Stetcher and Gudbranson. Pretty much what Philip Larsen failed to be this year. One of the better Dman i've seen in this tournament. Fantastic skater, and great at moving the puck. Reminds me a lot of Sami Vatanen.

Radim Simek-LHD

It's possible Benning is preparing a left handed dman incase we lose Sbisa in the expansion draft. In that case, Simek would probably be the one he takes a chance on. He's similar in many ways to Loeffel, but he looks to have a bit better of a defensive game. 

Jan Rutta-RHD

He's another possible right handed dman JB would be looking at. He isnt as smooth a skater as the previous two, but seems to be more of a well rounded dman. He has great size at 6'2 or 6'3 and 200 to 220 lbs. He has a hard shot from the point, and seems to get them through legs on a regular basis. In my opinion, he's a better dman then the recent Montreal Canadiens signing Jakub Jerabek

**Hopefully JB is also looking at a 2nd line winger like Kovar, Gusev, or Dadanov

On 5/18/2017 at 7:12 AM, groovy said:

No specific proposal, but if there is a feeling that 3-10 is a crap shoot, why not try to drop back to say 7-8? Unless, as I already stated, JB has his eye on a specific guy at 5.

Then you're not going to get much in return.  Might as well pick the player you prefer where you're at as you're guaranteed to get him.

On 2017-5-18 at 7:12 AM, groovy said:

Because at 5 we practically get first choice in that crap shoot. Trading back even a few spots leaves us with what ever is left in the 2nd tier of players.

4 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think this management gets a bit of a bad rep,  but someone should answer for the Loui Erickson signing. That was an awful move that makes me think I could be a GM in the league. 

Maybe ownership's relationship with the Twins had something to do with the Errikson signing?  We all love the Twins, and many of us (fans) wanted the best player in FA to play with them, so maybe the owner did too?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe ownership's relationship with the Twins had something to do with the Errikson signing?  We all love the Twins, and many of us (fans) wanted the best player in FA to play with them, so maybe the owner did too?  

Then the owner could save himself some money by not even bothering to hire a GM.  

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think this management gets a bit of a bad rep,  but someone should answer for the Loui Erickson signing. That was an awful move that makes me think I could be a GM in the league. 

I dont find it to be an awful move (I think he's going to be a lot better next year),and we gave up no assets to acquire him...Although, getting him to primarily resuscitate the twins declining production..was a bad move. 

It couldn't have gone more sideways than it did last season..Eriksson could not get any traction in his game,and the Sedins demonstrated that their days as elite 1st line players are over.(as well as the playoff pipe dream that management was chasing).

Archived