The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..May 11,2017

Honky Cat

4 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I noticed that..Sekeres was also the 'instigator' in the tampering fine that Benning received involving PK Subban.....I remember Linden coming on the show and suggesting that Matt pay the fine.

Sekeres is garbage. I don't mind Blake. He needs to stand up for himself a little more tho as he seems to get bullied into Sekeres' rants too often. 

21 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Some men are just too sensitive they really need to get their devil panties out of their rectum and grow some they seem to take on a girly girl mentality very few real men today just a bunch of bullied sissies who cry over the littlest of things.

This 

20 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

i guess it depends on how good the guy is. Craig Button things Makar is the next Doughty. If thats true, 5th pick is pretty good for that. But he could be Cam Barker too. No one really knows. 

Exactly.....or Keith, or Seabrook. Draft away.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sekeres and Price are STILL frothing and giggling over it today, and got Button into it for nearly half their entire interview.  Those two really are nothing more than a couple of agitators, and almost always against Canuck management.  Not only do they seed and stir the pot, but they do whatever they can to keep it going until they can invent some new "controversy."  Truly TMZ-quality broadcasting.

Ya, this^^^

There's not a lot going on right now in Canuckland.  So the smallest thing has to be made into something big.  Did it ever occur to people that these comments were tongue in cheek.  It's a poke at the way Don Cherry used to talk.  Look, Benning is watching a lot of non-NHL Europeans displaying their skills on the big ice.  Wouldn't he love to find that kind of skill that can also deal with the fast play and physicality that we see on North American ice?  It's a compliment if anything.

19 hours ago, Kaner said:

I'm still not convinced that Makar will be better than Liljegren. Cale without a doubt had the more impressive season, however, if Timothy can get back his confidence he had last season, it's a no brainier for me. 

And that's no slouch in Makar.

Good enough, it's all opinion from here out and I wouldn't be unhappy with either

A few months ago I actually suggested quite a few times drafting Liljegren when he was still the consensus best D in the draft citing our timeline for competitive play being 4-5 years.  meaning no harm in drafting a D this AND next year leaving us free for the following 2-3 years to simply take high risk high reward forwards/defensemen.  Due to the supposed timeline of developing Defencemen vs forwards 2-3 years vs immediate to 1 year having those unreal talents on the blue line would ensure we have them coming in 1-2-3 (4-5 if our prospects seriously work out) and give us skilled depth of the kind that this club has NEVER had on the blue line

It would also give us the chance to possibly trade the most valuable position for whatever we wanted/needed at any time we needed.  I had and have no issues drafting a D this year.  With this draft being supposedly so unknown with no definitive pure star talent outside of maybe Patrick maybe Hischier D isn't a bad idea.

19 hours ago, Kaner said:

Merkely is sound offensively, but he's going to have to shape up physically, but more so defensively if he wants to become a Doughty. Doughty was a horse at 16, handling top minutes, not to mention he was a physically dominant in junior.

Doughty kinda has a cheat in that regard.  He didn't really grow much after age 16.  IIRC only about 12 pounds and an inch or so since his draft year but was strong, like grown man strong.  I recall his strength being referenced more than a few times.  Merkley is a shade on the light side but I see him filling out to that 190-200 mark

Hard to not salivate over the idea of actually drafting a D this AND next year

Just spitballing without reference here but a top 4 of

Juolevi-Makar/Liljegren

Hutton-Stecher/Dahlin/Merkley

If we were to obtain any of those 4 in the next 2 drafts I'd be pretty happy hell next year even Wilde would be nice as he's barely 16 and man is he a monster that just skates like a gem

No harm no foul.  But I don't see any shock based on team needs if Makar goes in the top 5, I also see a lot of talent that if he is developed properly is going to make someone very very happy

On 2017-05-11 at 5:32 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Same.

I wouldn't mind taking lil,  but we should prob trade down a few spots to get him that way we'll get some more assets along with the pick.  I doubt lil is rated 5th on most mock drafts, just saying 

On 2017-05-11 at 3:24 PM, CanuckGAME said:

How do you know Tkachuk is better than Juolevi?  Crystal ball?  People who throw Tkachuks name out there every chance they get make me shake my head.

FOr one thing because everyone had tkchuck at number 5, and benning skipped him? maybe NHL pedigry in his blood from his dad?. THAT was a dumb move by benning. of course our pick plays the year in junior while the pick we should have had is scoring the NHL...Only the canucks,.,..

1 hour ago, Kungfudru said:

I wouldn't mind taking lil,  but we should prob trade down a few spots to get him that way we'll get some more assets along with the pick.  I doubt lil is rated 5th on most mock drafts, just saying 

We can only speculate. I hope that Benning is able to draft Liljegren and a solid center. Looking forward to the future. 

21 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

I dunno .. When I listen to him , like speak.   I dont like , really think , like , that he's that clever ..          

It's the classic deflection, having people looking in another direction imo

On 2017-05-11 at 1:57 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I still think Liljegren is going to be a difference maker.

We just used our 5th last year on Juolevi and it looks like it's gonna haunt us already.

I dunno man, D man too risky for top 5 pick. He could be the next Eric Karlson or Phillip Larson u never know. There's only 1 Karlson in the world, and a ton of Larsons. If this was Larson's draft year his bio would sound the exact same.... right handed, good skater, good first pass,  can work the pp...

Gubranson was 3rd overall, Griffen Reinhardt 5th overall.

Duncan Keith, Pk Subban, Shea Webber were all 2nd round picks. We got Tryankim 3rd round, Hutton 4th, Stetcher never drafted... we got 2 second round picks most likely this year I would use those on D if need be.

Glass or Mittlstadd will be the closest thing to a sure bet IMO. They will put up points and be top 6 players. We can't afford to mess this one up and pull another Nylander or Tkachuk move...

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, this^^^

There's not a lot going on right now in Canuckland.  So the smallest thing has to be made into something big.  Did it ever occur to people that these comments were tongue in cheek.  It's a poke at the way Don Cherry used to talk.  Look, Benning is watching a lot of non-NHL Europeans displaying their skills on the big ice.  Wouldn't he love to find that kind of skill that can also deal with the fast play and physicality that we see on North American ice?  It's a compliment if anything.

Don't think those guys really get humour (nor exhibit any sense thereof), unlike others like Donny and Moj.  Any laughter from them comes at the expense of deriding others, which makes them come across as arrogant buffoons.

I didn't hear them yesterday after JB's interview, but why didn't they instead talk about how much Benning mentioned puck-moving defencemen?  He pretty much all but indicated that is their primary target, and a play-making center as their backup plan should their preferred dman be taken.

Benning may have meant he was looking for European talent that had the heart/desire to play in North America, as compared to no desire to play in North America.

JB is not as articulate as Matt Sekeres, an English major iirc, but I doubt that JB would belittle Matt's hockey skills if they got into a pick up game.

Poor "sportsmanship" on Matt's part, but Sekeres has often said that at times he is willing to put on the Clown nose to make a show go.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Benning may have meant he was looking for European talent that had the heart/desire to play in North America, as compared to no desire to play in North America.

JB is not as articulate as Matt Sekeres, an English major iirc, but I doubt that JB would belittle Matt's hockey skills if they got into a pick up game.

Poor "sportsmanship" on Matt's part, but Sekeres has often said that at times he is willing to put on the Clown nose to make a show go.

What a truly dedicated man. He's making the necessary sacrifices to make progress. /sarc

On 2017-05-11 at 1:57 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I still think Liljegren is going to be a difference maker.

Hmm I want to see what he does at the combine before I make a judgement on him. If he's a Nylander clone, I say we take him. If he's a weakling I say we pass. 

On 2017-05-11 at 3:24 PM, CanuckGAME said:

How do you know Tkachuk is better than Juolevi?  Crystal ball?  People who throw Tkachuks name out there every chance they get make me shake my head.

I'd love to draft Tkatchuk's brother next year though. He looks like a centre we could use, and will be rated around where we will be picking. 

6 hours ago, EV604 said:

We just used our 5th last year on Juolevi and it looks like it's gonna haunt us already.

I dunno man, D man too risky for top 5 pick. He could be the next Eric Karlson or Phillip Larson u never know. There's only 1 Karlson in the world, and a ton of Larsons. If this was Larson's draft year his bio would sound the exact same.... right handed, good skater, good first pass,  can work the pp...

Duncan Keith, Pk Subban, Shea Webber were all 2nd round picks. We got Tryankim 3rd round, Hutton 4th, Stetcher never drafted... we got 2 second round picks most likely this year I would use those on D if need be.

Glass or Mittlstadd will be the closest thing to a sure bet IMO. They will put up points and be top 6 players. We can't afford to mess this one up and pull another Nylander or Tkachuk move...

This is exactly the point with drafting defencemen high. I think with D-men, there's so much more importance in how they're developed than where they're drafted. That makes picking them high a high-risk, high-reward but also high-cost move. 

The good teams draft defencemen anywhere and develop them up into stars. Look at the Predators - just about all of the defencemen they draft end up going through to the NHL. I wouldn't go drafting a defenceman in the top-5 unless it's an obvious Ekblad/Hedman type of pick. Someone like Dahlen fits that mould for 2018. For 2017, there doesn't appear to  be anyone in that clear elite bracket. Even in 2016, it could be argued that Juolevi is far from a future elite defenceman. I think Juolevi was still the right pick for us because JB needed to pay more attention to our blueline in a big way, and he did so with Gudbranson and Juolevi coming in not to mention Tryamkin and Stecher, but now with a few high picks (5th, 33rd, 55th overall) I think we should use the high pick on the safe bet and that would be a skilled center. IMO you draft skill up front highly because it's harder to develop that, and draft defencemen in the 2nd-4th rounds and develop from there.

If we're lucky we can trade the 33rd up to middle of the 1st round (eg. Tanev + 33rd overall for Kaspanen + 1st rounder?), then snag a decent defenceman, otherwise I'd be happy to draft defencemen with our two second round picks and hope we can develop them well.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we're lucky we can trade the 33rd up to middle of the 1st round (eg. Tanev + 33rd overall for Kaspanen + 1st rounder?), then snag a decent defenceman, otherwise I'd be happy to draft defencemen with our two second round picks and hope we can develop them well.

Keep the 33rd. If TO would take Tanev for their 1st I'd take it and run.

11 hours ago, EV604 said:

Duncan Keith, Pk Subban, Shea Webber were all 2nd round picks. We got Tryankim 3rd round, Hutton 4th, Stetcher never drafted... we got 2 second round picks most likely this year I would use those on D if need 

I agree that we shouldnt be passing up on players like Glass, Vilardi, and Middlestadt but 

Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Hedman were all top 5 picks, no? Youre argument doesnt stand as youre picking which facts to use to back up your argument whilst leaving out those that work against you. 

Archived