The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring Jesse Puljujärvi

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, HockeydownUnder said:

I agree with you on this notion (funny I don't agree with your comments usually). That being said I wouldn't sell the farm. A Horvat + Tanev + Juolevi + pick deal would be a ridiculous over payment and set the Canucks rebuild far behind. Horvat alone would more than fair value wise and I wouldn't be willing to make that deal unless Edmonton sweetened it.

I actually thought higher of JP compared to Matthews and Laine at the draft. I have since changed my mind but I still think it's possible he ends up having the best career of them, albeit that chance is pretty remote. His point totals last season were far from spectacular but he played on a really crummy team the first half of the year. He reminds me of Jagr with how strong he is on the puck and his ability to retrieve pucks in the corners. Also they both sometimes flash a rather goofy smile.

The AHL team he played on was not great, still he put up good numbers as an 18 year old. I wonder how they managed to get him down there at 18?I didn't think they were allowed to he wasn't 19 until this past May. At any rate he got .72 pts per game as an 18 year old aand he was doing over a point per game until he was injured.

I would drive Tanev to Edmonton if that deal could be made. 

12 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The AHL team he played on was not great, still he put up good numbers as an 18 year old. I wonder how they managed to get him down there at 18?I didn't think they were allowed to he wasn't 19 until this past May. At any rate he got .72 pts per game as an 18 year old aand he was doing over a point per game until he was injured.

You have to be at least 18 years old by September 15 (his birthday was in May) to play and you must not be signed to a juniors contract in North America. Jesse played overseas so he could go straight to the AHL.  Juolevi played in the OHL so he's ineligible for the AHL. 

24 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

So would JB.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So would JB.

Looking at Cap Friendly, even with McPouty's 12 1/2 mil EDM has well over 20 mil to spend on the cap next year, and a whole bunch of replaceable wingers, so i can't see JP going anywhere, in fact there should be more than one spot available for him. 

I could see Tanev going to EDM tho, but for a mix of prospects and picks. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Looking at Cap Friendly, even with McPouty's 12 1/2 mil EDM has well over 20 mil to spend on the cap next year, and a whole bunch of replaceable wingers, so i can't see JP going anywhere, in fact there should be more than one spot available for him. 

I could see Tanev going to EDM tho, but for a mix of prospects and picks. 

If JB does trade Tanev I hope it's for one really good prospect, and not for a mix of lesser assets.  If Burr returned Dahlen, then Tanev should return an elite prospect, no?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If JB does trade Tanev I hope it's for one really good prospect, and not for a mix of lesser assets.  If Burr returned Dahlen, then Tanev should return an elite prospect, no?

yup, thats the most likely thing I think. 

On 7/4/2017 at 1:02 PM, Fateless said:

How does Gudbranson get us JP? JP is a 4th OA pick one year removed from being drafted. Sure, he didn't have a fantastic season, but why would the Oilers give him up for a #4/#5 guy D that had a pretty bad start to last season plus a big injury?

If you want Gudbranson to get JP, you'll have to add a bunch of picks and a 2nd isn't going to cut it.

Guddy is a 3rd overall pick himself and proven more than Pulijarvi... then again Cam Barker was a 3rd overall pick too 

I think Guddy is a potential #2 guy... key word potential. 

He's a lot closer to his potential than Puli is to his though... 

regardless, I don't like the trade. 

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Guddy is a 3rd overall pick himself and proven more than Pulijarvi... 

The only thing Guddy has proven is that he should not have been drafted at 3rd OA. 

The guy barely put up numbers good enough to be considered a top 4 D last season. Most nights he looked like a bottom pairing guy. Not once did I think he looked like a top pairing guy through the entire season. 

Puljujarvi had a mediocre draft+1 season, but he's got WAY more potential than Gudbranson does at this point. He's also more than half a decade younger than Gudbranson. 

Gudbranson's draft spot means nothing now. He's 7 years away from his draft and he's been in steady decline since. Puljujarvi on the other hand can easily return to the form that got him drafted 3rd OA just last year.

Edmonton would be a fool to trade JP to us for Gudbranson unless we heavily overpaid (we're talking a high 1st round pick and A-tier prospect).

Guddy is a 3rd overall pick himself and proven more than Pulijarvi... then again Cam Barker was a 3rd overall pick too 

A career high of 13 points for Gudbranson. Tanev's had 3 seasons higher than that and I wouldn't even consider Tanev a top pairing defensemen on a lot of contenders.

Tanev has elite shot suppression and a good outlet pass. Good qualities to have in a solid #2/3 defensemen.

Gudbranson hits and has some leadership qualities. He's slow though, isn't a good passer, doesn't have a great shot by any means, and his advanced stats are terrible.

Maybe with the surgery on his wrist he'll play a little better but nothing in Gudbranson's career has ever pointed to him being a top pairing defensemen. The idea of that is almost as laughable as he Flyers/Canucks proposal I came up with last week

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-avoid-making-major-mistakes-with-erik-gudbranson-contract-1.20617696

Guddy doesn't make much sense for Edmonton in general.  If they want to get a top 4 dman, they are going to be looking for someone with a bit more speed, and definitely a better passer.  Any change of possession the Oilers get in their defensive end, they go right up the ice.  Especially if McJesus is on the ice.

Gudbranson is 7 years removed from his draft. His draft position has no more barring on his value at this point than Yakupov's former 1st overall status had on his.  At this point what he's done in the league is all that matters.  It's also a bit late to be pinning hope on his "potential".  He's a veteran of 6 NHL seasons and 339 games.  At age 25 he is what he's likely to be.  Pulijarvi is 1 year removed from his draft class.  At this point his value is still based entirely on his potential.  And that value is substantially higher than Gudbransons 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Acquiring Jesse Puljujärvi

Archived