The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jokipakka anyone?

JM_

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

What about the likely best of the bunch in very short order - OJ?

Oh, I agree.

I personally saw the Jokipakka suggestion as one for a depth D. I believe he is past the point where there is hope he will evolve into something of serious substance. Depth, not a prospect like OJ, or Brisbois, we hope will evolve into something more...

So I actually edited OK out of my first post.  Even though he also may take a spot this year. 

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Oh, I agree.

I personally saw the Jokipakka suggestion as one for a depth D. I believe he is past the point where there is hope he will evolve into something of serious substance. Depth, not a prospect like OJ, or Brisbois, we hope will evolve into something more...

So I actually edited OK out of my first post.  Even though he also may take a spot this year. 

LOL - you typed OK versus OJ.   Glad to see I am not the only one with kiypbord essues.   

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Oh, I agree.

its roster depth for sure, and also potentially some trade depth as well 

11 hours ago, timberz21 said:

IMO if he had any potential and a real shot of being a steal, 30 NHL would have jumped at that opportunity.  So it's either, none of the NHL team experts think he's worth taking a shot on him or either he's asking way too much money.

Neway would rather give a shot to our prospect first.  Maybe on a minor league deal with Utica I would consider.

I don't think this is how the league works. Think about how many players are generally available to any given NHL team. Now think about the maximum contracts allowed per team at 50. If there were no contract limit, then perhaps what you have said would have more clout; however, because of that limit, teams have to really think about who they want in a contract. Simply put, there are a lot of players with potential out there. Some will pan out. Some will not. It's up to the teams to figure out these players and put them on such contracts while staying under their contract limit.

Because of this, my guess is you will likely never literally see 30 teams going head over heals for a player like Jokipakka as many teams will be counting on their other prospects and players to fill such a role. This is where the whole notion of finding "diamonds in the rough" comes into play.

Anyway, to answer the proposal, I don't really have much of an opinion to be honest. I guess my main concern might be that he hasn't played a full season yet. That being said, neither had Sbisa before he came here.

The only reason I would say no is the number of contracts that Nucks have and if it creates some kind inflexibility with a more important contract otherwise why not or a PTO?

The other UFA I think should be on GMJB's radar is Quinton Howdon. He was having an ok year in FLA before being moved to the Peg where he didn't seem to play much. Maybe an injury?

I was thinking he is only 25 has had some injuries and maybe could thrive if given a better shot.

If he turns out it would redeem the Ballard trade, or at the very least could reignite some trade fodder:

Howden, Jokipakka and a 2nd for...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-07-24 at 10:20 AM, apollo said:

Wait what? 

Oh sorry I forgot Russell got trade to Dallas and Hamhuis clearly didn't want to go play in Dallas 

Plot twist... Hamhuis signed in Dallas https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dallas-stars-sign-defenseman-dan-hamhuis/c-888259

2016-Feb-29 Traded from Calgary Flames to Dallas Stars for Brett Pollock, Jyrki Jokipakka and round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Tyler Parsons)

In hindsight, Pollock, Jyrki and Tyler may never amount to good NHL'ers but still... Jimbo got us nothing. 

Dallas offered Russel a deal before free agency. He really overpriced himself which is why he was unsigned through the summer. Hamhuis was the bridesmaid (2nd choice) once again.

On 7/30/2017 at 2:58 PM, Calvin's Dog said:

The only reason I would say no is the number of contracts that Nucks have and if it creates some kind inflexibility with a more important contract otherwise why not or a PTO?

The other UFA I think should be on GMJB's radar is Quinton Howdon. He was having an ok year in FLA before being moved to the Peg where he didn't seem to play much. Maybe an injury?

I was thinking he is only 25 has had some injuries and maybe could thrive if given a better shot.

If he turns out it would redeem the Ballard trade, or at the very least could reignite some trade fodder:

Howden, Jokipakka and a 2nd for...

Good call. Quint seemed to be on his way till he was traded. He might be worth a look Cheers

Archived