The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks crowded forward group.

Adarsh Sant

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Alflives said:

Benning already said if a kid is ready and earns a spot, he will make the needed moves to create that spot.  My guess is, JB doesn't think any of our kids (at forward) are truly ready, or he wouldn't have signed so many UFAs.

Because of the greening of the NHL (money and development/quality of available players cause this) there are a lot of good UFAs available.  There are just a lot of good older players available generally.  Obviously, there are also a lot of good young players coming up too.  A classic bottleneck. This is the dilemma for the Canucks, or at least the set of choices.  Young players are fitter and a better fit now than ever before.  But they have to be good enough.  

Vrbata in his first year here was terrific, albeit he had mostly a shooter's role with the Sedins and scored a lot of goals on the pp.  Nevertheless, this is the kind of player you can find, as was Miller.  

As long as the Canucks are well below the salary cap, they can hardly be faulted for getting top notch UFAs.  The issue is development of players.  I for one am not qualifed to gauge whether full time in Utica on a good team is better for most/all young players than is a WD-style integration of young players.  It was certainly good for the fan base to see some youth in Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Horvat, Baer, Grandlund, as well as Boeser at the end of last year.  Are UFA signings ever a drag on team building due to limiting the icetime of developing players?  Not sure, maybe.  It certainly is bad to TRADE FOR older players/UFAs if you are unlikely to be making the playoffs, or are trying to build from within.  So far, Benning/Linden haven't done this very much. 

My HOPE is that Boeser and Virtanen make the team in the Fall, and that Juolevi and another prospect make the team by Christmas. 

A trade would be an even better idea if 4 young players make the team by Christmas.

2 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Because of the greening of the NHL (money and development/quality of available players cause this) there are a lot of good UFAs available.  There are just a lot of good older players available generally.  Obviously, there are also a lot of good young players coming up too.  A classic bottleneck. This is the dilemma for the Canucks, or at least the set of choices.  Young players are fitter and a better fit now than ever before.  But they have to be good enough.  

Vrbata in his first year here was terrific, albeit he had mostly a shooter's role with the Sedins and scored a lot of goals on the pp.  Nevertheless, this is the kind of player you can find, as was Miller.  

As long as the Canucks are well below the salary cap, they can hardly be faulted for getting top notch UFAs.  The issue is development of players.  I for one am not qualifed to gauge whether full time in Utica on a good team is better for most/all young players than is a WD-style integration of young players.  It was certainly good for the fan base to see some youth in Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Horvat, Baer, Grandlund, as well as Boeser at the end of last year.  Are UFA signings ever a drag on team building due to limiting the icetime of developing players?  Not sure, maybe.  It certainly is bad to TRADE FOR older players/UFAs if you are unlikely to be making the playoffs, or are trying to build from within.  So far, Benning/Linden haven't done this very much. 

My HOPE is that Boeser and Virtanen make the team in the Fall, and that Juolevi and another prospect make the team by Christmas. 

A trade would be an even better idea if 4 young players make the team by Christmas.

Benning is on the new station (650) this morning.  He says there are two spots at forward available for young players.  He also said that if a young guy earns a spot, he will do what it takes to make a spot available for him.  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning is on the new station (650) this morning.  He says there are two spots at forward available for young players.  He also said that if a young guy earns a spot, he will do what it takes to make a spot available for him.  

I'm not finding a Benning interview on their website.  Got a link?

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sedins , LE , Sutter , Vanek , Bo ,Baer , Granlund , Gagner , Dorsette, Gaunce.

This would be my 11 forwards who are fixed. Who will be the two young players.

Boucher , Rodin , Chaput , Megna , Burmistrov  will all be AHL depth or will get used if the kids don't earn a spot.

Boeser , Goldobin , Virtanen and Dahlen will fight for one of the two spots.

That's how I see it.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

Boucher , Rodin , Chaput , Megna , Burmistrov  will all be AHL depth or will get used if the kids don't earn a spot.

That's how I see it.

Maybe JB sees Gaunce as not able to fill a spot yet, due to injury?

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

That's how I see it.

I'd still call Gaunce a young player.  He does so much well except score.  I think this makes him vulnerable.

I still think he makes the team

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe JB sees Gaunce as not able to fill a spot yet, due to injury?

So Gaunce and Dorsette have question marks and that leaves 4 spots. Team 1040 is trying to make it look like there is no room for the kids. That's pure BS. A lot of the 18 forwards who have one way deals are AHL bound.

3 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Dorsett had two vertebrae in his neck fused. He should probably take the safe road and retire. 

That makes at minimum two spots in the forwards.  Boeser gets one, leaving one more for a bottom six banger.  Jake?

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So 10 spots taken by regulars, Sedin, Sedin, Granny, Horvat, Baer, Eriksson, Vanek, Sutter, Dorsett, Gagne.

Burmistrov should be 11 as he was and still is slated for 4th line center

Rodin should be 12 if he does anything like last preseason. If he's healthy he could easily land in the top 9 and get PP time.

Assuming we carry 14F and 7D, this leaves Boeser and Gaunce for those "young" spots. Makes sense if Benning is talking spots

Chaput / Megna and Boucher are worth the risk of waivers as they are a known entity now and wouldnt be a big loss with our depth.

Virtanen would have to be lights out to make the team considering he was just finding his game in Utica, so expect him to be sent down.

Goldy is the odd man out here as he has proven completely what he can do in the AHL, so if we keep all forwards he could be traded for a young D or sent down as a 1st call up.

If Dorsett and Rodin are not ready or are injured early (good possibility) then Goldy gets called up to replace Rodin, and Chaput gets the call up to replace Dorsett unless they feel Virtanen is ready to go and brings that extra grit needed.

Just let the games begin already... going through off season withdrawal!

Just now, appleboy said:

So Gaunce and Dorsette have question marks and that leaves 4 spots. Team 1040 is trying to make it look like there is no room for the kids. That's pure BS. A lot of the 18 forwards who have one way deals are AHL bound.

1040 will be totally negative Nellies now about the Canucks.  Hearing 650 has Daniel on around 2 this afternoon, and Sam Gagner too.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

1040 will be totally negative Nellies now about the Canucks.  Hearing 650 has Daniel on around 2 this afternoon, and Sam Gagner too.  

Nice. I like what I here so far. I want them to call it like it is. Team 1040 have been going out of their way to create controversy. We really only have 11 NHL forwards and two of them have health issues. So there is tons of space for the kids. Boeser will make the team.

33 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That's how I see it.

I see it the way you do except gaunce to me is in the same convo as Boucher, Burmy, rodin etc. He had an awful season last year so he's on the outside looking in. I see him going head to head with burmy for the 13th forward spot. 

Sedin-sedin-vanek

baertschi-horvat-boeser

Eriksson-sutter-gagner

dorsett-granlund-virtanen

burmy/gaunce

boeser is almost a lock unless he has an atrocious camp. Virtanen can play that bottom six role while goldy and dahlen can't so that gives him an edge 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

To sell tickets, yes room was made.  

Is that not the point?

but let's be fair here.  At that time of the season those two legit earned their spots.

certainly theyhave faded since, but if JB was to be true to his word he had to roster them based on their pre season showing.

Archived