The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

14 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Invader Zim - 8.5/10

I love cartoons, especially completely irreverent ones about  incompetent aliens attempting to conquer the planet Earth.

Invader Zim is one such cartoon, from the demented mind of Jhonen Vasquez, creator of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Its awesome.

Cool, I'll look out for it.

You reminded me of this TV show, really wish they had kept it going.

• 2 weeks later...

Halt and Catch Fire

Season 1 - 6.5/10 --- Season 2 - 8/10

AMC show available on Netflix. Shares a lot of similarities to Mad Men, but instead of the advertising world of the 60's and 70's, the focus is on the tech/internet/gaming boom of the 80's. The first season was pretty clunky (especially the "Donald Draper" character, named Joe MacMillan), but both him and the series as a whole start finding their legs in season 2. And according to the reviews, it only gets better (there are 4 seasons total).

Like Mad Men, it moves slow at times. But for me, the nostalgia factor is great. As someone who as a child played games on the Commodore 64, had a Tandy computer, and who got the original Nintendo mere months after launch, I get the references. And yet, I was pretty young at the time, so seeing behind the curtain (albeit with fictional characters) at the sort of innovation and competition that was driving those products is very interesting to me.

Edited by D-Money

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Halt and Catch Fire

Season 1 - 6.5/10 --- Season 2 - 8/10

AMC show available on Netflix. Shares a lot of similarities to Mad Men, but instead of the advertising world of the 60's and 70's, the focus is on the tech/internet/gaming boom of the 80's. The first season was pretty clunky (especially the "Donald Draper" character, named Joe MacMillan), but both him and the series as a whole start finding their legs in season 2. And according to the reviews, it only gets better (there are 4 seasons total).

Like Mad Men, it moves slow at times. But for me, the nostalgia factor is great. As someone who as a child played games on the Commodore 64, had a Tandy computer, and who got the original Nintendo mere months after launch, I get the references. And yet, I was pretty young at the time, so seeing behind the curtain (albeit with fictional characters) at the sort of innovation and competition that was driving those products is very interesting to me.

I watched part of the first season years ago and just couldn’t finish it, even though I was close.

Well just tried Suits for the first time and got through 3.5 seasons of it. 

1st season - 7.5/10

2nd and 3rd season - 4/10

Starts off well but then the ridiculousness of it gets too apparent to ignore. The amount of times someone travels an hour to see someone to say a one-liner and then immediately leave is hilarious. Those poor restaurants as well. Seems like the cases are taking a backseat to their personal problems now and I couldn't keep watching. Favourite character is Louis Litt but he alone can't keep me going. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Well just tried Suits for the first time and got through 3.5 seasons of it. 

1st season - 7.5/10

2nd and 3rd season - 4/10

Starts off well but then the ridiculousness of it gets too apparent to ignore. The amount of times someone travels an hour to see someone to say a one-liner and then immediately leave is hilarious. Those poor restaurants as well. Seems like the cases are taking a backseat to their personal problems now and I couldn't keep watching. Favourite character is Louis Litt but he alone can't keep me going. 

Definitely stopped watching at the right time. The fact it’s still running is shocking. I stopped 2 seasons ago. Unbearable.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

I watched part of the first season years ago and just couldn’t finish it, even though I was close.

It's worth sticking with - it gets much better.

Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Season 1 - 74%

Season 2 - 91%

Season 3 - 96%

Season 4 - 100%

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Definitely stopped watching at the right time. The fact it’s still running is shocking. I stopped 2 seasons ago. Unbearable.

My wife and I stopped in season 3. Just seemed to keep re-hashing the same old things.

However, the reviews for seasons 4-8 have been better than 1-3. But I had no desire to jump back in.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

My wife and I stopped in season 3. Just seemed to keep re-hashing the same old things.

However, the reviews for seasons 4-8 have been better than 1-3. But I had no desire to jump back in.

Trust me, it’s not worth it. I believe I stopped after season 5. I mean. It’s definitely possible it got better, but it really did re-hash the same old stuff. Even when it took a bold move and Michael was finally sent to prison, they only followed that story for about 5 episodes until they pardoned him for no reason and they went right back to the same old well. That’s when I thought, “This isn’t going to change.”

However, with what’s her name now a princess (really, I don’t know her name), I heard Katherine Heigl has been given another shot at Hollywood and she’s on the show, now. Maybe it is better.

27 minutes ago, Monty said:

I heard Katherine Heigl has been given another shot at Hollywood and she’s on the show, now. Maybe it is better.

:sick:

That's the final nail in the coffin for me. Find her sooooo annoying (even more than Princess Whatsherface).

• Haha 1

after life - 5/10?

ricky gervais' new show on netflix. some hilarious jokes/one-liners, but the godawful hammy drama is just too much. what's with comedians and trying to make good drama? reminds me, in a way, of that terrible louis ck show, horace and pete. stay in your lane.

people just do nothing:

season 1: 9/10

season 2: 8.5/10

season 3: 8/10

good grief this show is funny. british mockumentary-style sitcom. like The Office, I guess. the first couple of seasons are hilarious and stay totally focused, but I feel like in season 3 there's a bit of a shift i didn't care much for. i'll definitely finish the series, but some of its early magic is gone.

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

after life - 5/10?

ricky gervais' new show on netflix. some hilarious jokes/one-liners, but the godawful hammy drama is just too much. what's with comedians and trying to make good drama? reminds me, in a way, of that terrible louis ck show, horace and pete. stay in your lane.

Gervais hasn’t done anything remotely funny since Extras. That was what, 2005?

At this point, it’s pretty clear that in order for Gervais to be successful for a tv series, he needs Stephen Marchant around as a co-writer. It seems Gervais’ writing is pretty one note. With Merchant, he had someone who obviously leveled him out, brought some humanity and humour. Otherwise, it’s just the same old character. “I’m think I know better than everyone else, therefore everyone else is wrong, and I’m right.” I’ve noticed that this is how he carries himself IRL as well, which is one (if not the) most unlikeble quality in a person.

• Upvote 1

the disappearance of madeleine mccain (netflix documentary?) 7/10 

the documentary follows the case of a young 3 year old British girl who goes missing in a tourist city in Portugual while on vacation with her mom and dad and twin 1 year old siblings. She and her siblings were sleeping in an apartment while her parents and their friends were eating at a restaurant nearby. The show seems a little pointless as the girl is still missing (so you get no real answers) but it goes into detail about the case and the investigation after by two different governments and the parents individual efforts. 

I felt it was drawn out to for no reason and the documentary was pointless other then to raise awareness that the young girl is still missing and to keep an eye out. 

Also, I'm on the younger side (mid 20's) but my understandings is this was one of the more popular disappearances worldwide, why do you think that was - compared to the other 100's of kids who go missing? 

Spoiler

To the theory that the parents did it, i think the parents were stupid to leave their young children alone everyday at the same time in the apartment but i don't think they did it. To kill someone in a foreign country and try to get rid of a body when everyone is watching you and in the apartment looking for madeleine is just stupid. 

It was unfortunate that so many people were scamming them, saying they were detectives to only take their money. And the rich guy who put up millions to help them to keep the investigation going is either a saint or somehow involved in this....

and i think the idea that she was taken to be sold is the more probable explanation. 

Hopefully she is found within our lifetime

Edited by Mango3

Parks & Recreation, Season 2 - 7/10

The first season was really hit-and-miss, but in season 2 it starts finding its legs. Episode 13 ("The Set Up"), with Will Arnett is hilarious. And at the end of the season, the show brings on Rob Lowe and Adam Scott, and ditches its weakest character (Paul Schneider's Mark Brendanawicz).

Season 3 is when it really takes off though. Episode 1 was the revealing of this iconic gem...

latest?cb=20171206162519

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

S7 E1 of VEEP had me dying. So much dialogue in a 30 minute sitcom. Look forward to re-watching tonight. I would pay big $ to just sit in the writer's room and watch these people work. 

Ditto. Such a terrific episode. So many jokes thrown in that I’m sure I missed some:

”Nothing, I just wanted to get away from ‘Blue is the most annoying colour’ over there.”

“Hey, sweatpants! You can’t just walkout, this isn’t a Terrance Mallick movie.”

And the mother of all jokes:

”If Mohamed Atta had you people booking his travel, he’d still be alive today, which for him would be a major f*** up!”

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Ditto. Such a terrific episode. So many jokes thrown in that I’m sure I missed some:

”Nothing, I just wanted to get away from ‘Blue is the most annoying colour’ over there.”

“Hey, sweatpants! You can’t just walkout, this isn’t a Terrance Mallick movie.”

And the mother of all jokes:

”If Mohamed Atta had you people booking his travel, he’d still be alive today, which for him would be a major f*** up!”

Sometimes hot-shot lacrosse players that think they own the cafeteria bring it on themselves".

There were so many offensive lines that were way to funny to get offended by. The last one in your post was definitely numero uno.