The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks - Penguins

With the core of veterans that the Penguins have, they clearly are still going to make a push for it this season, even though they are wildly underachieving. 

The Pens defense is shockingly weak though and needs to improve.  They have 104 goals against this year (4th worst in the league as of Dec. 14).

They are right up near the cap (.5 million of space) but have a couple of veterans underachieving in Cole and Hagelin who could be a salary dump in a trade.

The Canucks on the other hand are having a much better year than expected, which is great.  Realistically even our "better than expected" season doesn't have us in a playoff spot, and the likelihood of going up the standings rather than down is unlikely.  We should remain focused on the rebuild.

Therefore here is my trade proposal:

To Vancouver

Daniel Sprong (2015 2nd round pick scoring right winger)

2018 1st round pick

Ian Cole (2 mil - expiring)

Carl Hagelin (4 mil - through 2018/2019)

To Pittsburgh:

Alex Edler (5 mil - through 2018/2019)

Why for Pittsburgh:

As two time defending Stanley Cup Champs, they clearly have the core to compete every year.  However this year they're in the middle of the pack and need to make a move.  They want a centerman, but also need to improve on D.  Edler brings a veteran, playoff experienced, top end defenseman.  They also shed their worst contract (Hagelin), and dump Cole in the process too.  With Schultz (when healthy) and Letang as right hand defenders, Edler is a great fit as a top four guy along with Maatta (or Dumoulin) on the left side.  It also frees up a little more cap space to pursue a third line centerman, which Rutherford wants.

Why for Vancouver:
In the rebuild, the Canucks gain two valuable pieces for a veteran about to pass his prime.  Sprong is an electric offensive right winger who can score but is also defensively responsible.  The first round pick is a very valuable asset.  Hagelin is on a bad contract but could maybe trade him at the next deadline.  Cole can be flipped for a mid round pick this year.  Also, with Pittsburgh the two time reigning champs, Edler is more likely to waive his NTC to go there.

Thoughts?

Pittsburgh gives up quite a bit, and it severely depletes their already waning depth.

They say no to this.

I don't think they would have interest  in parting with a 1st, and Daniel Sprong.  You maybe get one or the other.  If you offered Chris Tanev they might reconsider, but an aging, apathetic veteran dman in Eddy doesn't exactly thrill many GM's.  They see the same stuff we see. Edler struggles in the new NHL with speed, and he would be ripped alive in the speedy Eastern Conference.

I don't think we should look to trade with Pittsburgh either, would rather Vancouver stockpile some youth up the middle (behind Bo, Elias and Gaudette are the heirs apparent but the former might play wing and we really don't know how the latter would be).  Winger depth should be the last thing we look for, with Goldie, Gadjovich and Lind as potential guys already, with Sven, Jake and Brock already holding down spots for the foreseeable future.

Is the young guy Zach Aston-Reese any good?  They also do have a guy Bleuger, a 2nd round pick out of Latvia who did alright in the minors last year (31 points in 54 games).  Maybe something like Hutton for Blueger and 2nd?  Could move Eddie elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

That's and awful lot to give up for Edler. Considering thenpenguins gave up their first last year they would be going for a 2nd mortgage on their future with that trade 

When you’re blessed with Crosby and Malkin on your roster every year they should be making moves to go for it. Win as many cups as you can while you have two of the best players in the league. Worry about the future when that time comes.

I looked at what Pittsburg was offering and I thought ok. Then I looked up what Vancouver is giving up and I thought...wait what? Did I miss something?

Pittsburg is looking to shake up the roster and are considering moving Cole because he has some value. Hagelin is a cap dump at 4 million. Together their values roughly cancel out. Cole would get a mid pick in return while Hagelin would cost a mid pick to be rid of.

That leaves Sprong and a 1st for Edler. Edler is a serviceable top 4 defensemen but there is no way he is garnering a return like that. He is already past his prime (I know he's 31 but his play has taken a hit the last few years) 

I'd go something along the lines of Sprong, Cole, Hagelin, 2nd, 4th for Edler and Granlund. 

You considered some things well (team needs, Edlers no trade and why he would waive it) so kudos for that. I like the basis of the trade. Acquiring Sprong would solidify our RW position. (Boeser 1st line, Sprong and Virtanen competing for 2nd and 3rd line positions). Getting Ian Cole would help alleviate the loss of Edler and he's a few years younger.

Value is off but it's a good proposal

Archived