The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Should The Canucks Draft Second Overall

TonyStrecher

7 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Zadina.

Dahlin will be the most impactful player overall, but Zadina will probably be the best offensively gifted player in the draft...I think we need to put a few more pucks on...and in the...net.

We will get a player who can fill the net or who can help prevent more pucks going in our own net and help boost our PP. I'll be happy with either one.

7 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

You don't build a team based on CDC whining good sir! And I don't think people would complain with a 6'3 212 RW with immense talent, game changing speed and hands and a compete level that would make him one of the leader on the team

best player available give you more depth meaning you can trade some away and recoup value. its the best asset management strategy

Moreover at that level (#2) there is much less risk of a bust with a player like Svechnikov- he's THAT good.

Implicit in the 'trade down and get a dman strategy' is an assumption that the player at 5-7 has the same risk of not making it or reaching his ceiling. I beg to differ, If you have seen this kid play, as I have live probably 10 games (live in Toronto) and on TV maybe 15 times you'd know he's a no brainer pick and had it not been a 1d ahead of him, he'd be #1 overall if a forward was his competition.

Agree.

We need d men, but we cannot have too many goal scorers at this point. 

If we land the second pick, take the BPA. 

Hopefully we we can add picks and or prospects that can help address team needs as well. 

Would love to have any of the top 5 in this year’s draft.

We all want the #1 pick and finally get a top rated d man. But we have so many holes.  Added, great d men have been picked outside the top 5 in many drafts. 

Get more picks. 

EmW

Boqvist. RH Karlsson-lite? Yes please. If management feels there is a better player lower down I am okay with trading down too. I don't have the resources available on these guys to know for sure, but just based off some light reading of the top 10 prospects (as of right now) I would really like Boqvist at number 2. I am not against a big time winger either. I know people feel we don't "need" any but we need any elite prospects we can get. Winger, center, D-man doesn't matter. If they can be great, we want them. We can make the necessary moves to fill holes down the line. The year we went to the cup final some of our most important players defensively either weren't drafted in the 1st round or weren't drafted by this team. 

Boqvist and it isn't even a discussion tbh.  We need D and Boqvist is a highly touted defensive prospect(probably higher than any D in the last two drafts).  But we all know we're slipping to 5th(actually maybe fourth if we finish last, hold our beer Arizona).  If not the next position is of weakness is Center.  I know I see a lot of Zedina in this thread but we're pretty set for RW, we need to draft on need this draft not BPA.

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it possible to trade to get 2 mid round picks and pick up another first rounder?

Evan Bouchard, and Noah Dobson for D, and Jacob Olofsson for C.

I'm tempted to want to draft Bode Wilde for his name alone. 

He was born to be Wilde. In all seriousness I love the kid's bomb of a shot which would look really nice on our PP. 

I agree with everyone saying we would be best off trading down.  It's early to say but it sure looks like the first few selections are going to be forwards.

Alternatively, trade UP one spot for Dahlin is the other option.  He's surefire gold, so I wouldn't mind packaging our 2nd OA (assuming that's what we get for the sake of argument and the thread title) with a strong forward prospect (we have many) or a roster player who, for us, will be best of displaced by an up and coming prospect.  I'm thinking Granlund maybe.  (I know he's having a crappy season, but he should be at least a 30 point guy in this league).  Maybe even Goldobin if Benning feels he'll never be able to put a solid all-around game together.

9 hours ago, TGokou said:

I agree with most posters here so far. Trade down to 4th...take Boqvist. I'm confident he will be something special and will QB our PP for years to come. The advantage is that he is as late a birthday as you can get...an August baby so you basically get a full year of extra development out of him to show what he can do. He is currently listed as 5'11 but with that extra year, he should theoretically be able to gain another inch or two which would be a good height for the new NHL. His brother is currently listed as 6'0 so I have no worries he will at least reach that height. His playing weight will also most likely be in the 190-200 range. What I also really like about him is that he can score....more so than most of the draft comparables so he doesn't always have to rely on using his teammates to generate chances.

Worst case and you trade down and 3rd overall selects him, you will still get a Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk to select from.

If we are to trade down, I agree you don't trade down more than to either 4th or 5th....

If we were so lucky, for a change, to get one of the top picks, we can't risk it being a bust, just because we need PMD...

Anyone of the 'experts' states players like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina are can't miss prospects... Tkachuk would also be interesting, but wonder if there are issues that makes him less desirable to JB, despite his unquestionable qualities. And then Boqvist... 

JB will be finished here if he starts trading down, and doesn't hit a jackpot. You can possibly be forgiven, for picking, what is deemed BPA, and he becomes a bust, but trading down and losing out.... Don't think so...

Already now we see the arguments about JV v Ehlers/Nylander and OJ v Tkachuk.....

I hope we don't sit after this draft with the same endless arguments/discussions.... 

10 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Boqvist has drawn comparisons to Karlsson which intrigues me. He would be a great consolation prize to not getting #1 but Zadina intrigues me, he may be another elite scorer. 

I would stay away from Tkachuk, if he's anything like his brother I'd say that these guys are a sideshow. I know that the Canucks need grit but look for it elsewhere.

as much as we need more D we also need more scoring, so BPA whoever that is, seems like the general consensus right now is Svechnikov. 

The post WJ rankings are starting to roll out and most have Svechnikov (7/12 rankings) at #2 with Zadina in the 4-6 range. 

But Craig Button has Boqvist at #2 and 9/12 have him in that 4-5 spot too. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft/2018-nhl-draft-rankings

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If we are to trade down, I agree you don't trade down more than to either 4th or 5th....

If we were so lucky, for a change, to get one of the top picks, we can't risk it being a bust, just because we need PMD...

Anyone of the 'experts' states players like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina are can't miss prospects... Tkachuk would also be interesting, but wonder if there are issues that makes him less desirable to JB, despite his unquestionable qualities. And then Boqvist... 

JB will be finished here if he starts trading down, and doesn't hit a jackpot. You can possibly be forgiven, for picking, what is deemed BPA, and he becomes a bust, but trading down and losing out.... Don't think so...

Already now we see the arguments about JV v Ehlers/Nylander and OJ v Tkachuk.....

I hope we don't sit after this draft with the same endless arguments/discussions.... 

Will have to see if JB will actually be here to pick any of those names.

57 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

I’d be happy with any of Svechnikov,  Zadina, Boqvist, or Tkachuk. 

I agree with this. Our prospect cupboard is no longer bare, so trading down for quantity would be a poor choice; right now we need quality, not quantity. And while it would be wonderful to get Dahlin, the amount of hype over this kid means he would be almost as expensive to trade up for as Lindros was. And I don't want Dahlin badly enough to give up Bo and Brock and OJ and EP to get him. And that's about what it would take.

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am with you that we should trade down from a umber 2 spot.....

I am with you with we need D prospects

But I have trouble with you saying we don't have anything in the pipeline

Most every NHL analysis disagrees with you

Our prospects are doing very well.......it confuses me that you would think otherwise

As for Hutton and Stecher, they have probably reached their ceilings, or close to it

But lets give credit to them for being NHLers......they surpassed their ceilings

Potential is exciting for most......reality is exactly that, and we live with it.....doesn't mean we expect them to be top 2 Dmen

Back to the draft......trading down is dangerous....especially after CDC gets a hold of it

Not throwing stones, but there is a lot of second guessing that goes on here, and you are in there second guessing also

Just remember your words today, and I will be happy.....trading down scares the hell out of me

But second guessing years down the road, is 20/20 and 100%......not very fair....so if "we" support the Trading idea today

We should remember that 2 or 3 years from now

+1... a lot of people tend to 'forget'....

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as much as we need more D we also need more scoring, so BPA whoever that is, seems like the general consensus right now is Svechnikov. 

The post WJ rankings are starting to roll out and most have Svechnikov (7/12 rankings) at #2 with Zadina in the 4-6 range. 

But Craig Button has Boqvist at #2 and 9/12 have him in that 4-5 spot too. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft/2018-nhl-draft-rankings

Just drooling over the thought of Zadina or Svechnikov in lineup with Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser. 

22 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree with everyone saying we would be best off trading down. 

you have to have multiple picks that you'd be happy with if you do that though, so you have to be willing to miss out on Boqvist in that case. In this draft there seems to be a lot of good choices in the 4-10 range so I also wonder what our bargaining power would be. Some GM would really have to covet that #2 spot. I'd prefer we keep it particularly if Svechnikov is capable of playing in the NHL next season. 

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Lets hope you are right and we have to over pay them all.................

Again agree 100%...

If they are that good its going to cost a kings ransom to sign them, they should get us competitive or be excellent bargaining chips to get, what we need.

You can NEVER have too many great players no matter their positions....

Archived