The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Should The Canucks Draft Second Overall

TonyStrecher

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

please tell the oilers how to better do this then

cuz i do see potential problems that you do not think exist

The oilers issues have not been who they drafted, anyone who thinks that is clueless its been development and how they rushed kids in. The issue the canucks are avoiding by signing vets that people complain about and insulting the players. Your analysis is incorrect. Taylor Hall looks pretty darn good doesn't he? How about Eberle he played relatively well in Edmonton and is playing great in NY.  The only real 'bust' has been Yakopov - the TEAM has issues not their picks

And again, you're assuming a kid ranked 5-10 by most scouting services would have a better chance of making an impact than a kid ranked #2? I am surprised you dont see the absurdity in that assumption.

After all the uproar about taking Juolevi over Tkachuck , I think they should take his brother  just to sooth the masses.

The kid does bring grit with skill. Maybe he could wake up Jake. Get Jake involved in some scrms and a little skulduggery.

Then let's sign Kane and put him on the same line. If we can pay LE 6 mil then we can certainly through some cash at Kane. 

Let's make this team fun to watch.

4 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

The oilers issues have not been who they drafted, anyone who thinks that is clueless its been development and how they rushed kids in. The issue the canucks are avoiding by signing vets that people complain about and insulting the players. Your analysis is incorrect. Taylor Hall looks pretty darn good doesn't he? How about Eberle he played relatively well in Edmonton and is playing great in NY.  The only real 'bust' has been Yakopov - the TEAM has issues not their picks

And again, you're assuming a kid ranked 5-10 by most scouting services would have a better chance of making an impact than a kid ranked #2? I am surprised you dont see the absurdity in that assumption.

i think you missed my point entirely

100%

i am reluctant to repeat myself

carry on

BPA please.  I really like the group of defensemen around the 10-20 OA range, and hope we can get one of those picks in exchange for Tanev.

I was really impressed by Zadina at the WJHC, and the reports of his attitude got my attention for all the right reasons.  The kid's a potential gamebreaker and I'd be stoked to see him as a Canuck.  That being said, I trust Benning to pick the right guy. 

36 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

I'm not even playing this game.. it should read who do we want to draft 2nd but actually draft 5th..  is that enough of a counter jinx.. seriously we can't even have that bad of luck can we?

I like your point, However I am a Homer and that being said I feel we could have the same luck that I have seen since the 94 scf

11 minutes ago, Pears said:

I don’t think you could go wrong with either Zadina or Svechnikov at 2. However, if we’re going off needs go with. Zadina. A future top line of Zadina - Pettersson - Boeser would be filthy. 

Personally I'd prefer having Boeser with Horvat and spreading the wealth.  Teams would have a tough choice as to how to deploy their top defenders.

I'm shocked at the trading down opinions in here. We can't just assume that all of our prospects are going to reach their potential and neatly start pencilling all of our Schroeder's, Hodgson's and Raymond's into our first lines. 

When drafting you take the BPA, plain and simple, especially when the difference in skill is so apparent. Also, a trade down in the top 5 is so RARE. It's not as simple as being like "hey 4th overall team, you want 2nd? Throw in an extra pick or top prospect and we have a deal". I can't recall the last time that's happened. 

If picking 2nd we take Svechnikov plain and simple. He's got franchise player level talent and had it not been for his injury he'd still be in the Dahlin or Svechnikov discussion. The funny thing is that since he came back...he's still piling up the goals. It's that whole Russian factor bias all over again. That's why Kucherov went in the second round and Tarasenko 15th. 

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

BPA please.  I really like the group of defensemen around the 10-20 OA range, and hope we can get one of those picks in exchange for Tanev.

I was really impressed by Zadina at the WJHC, and the reports of his attitude got my attention for all the right reasons.  The kid's a potential gamebreaker and I'd be stoked to see him as a Canuck.  That being said, I trust Benning to pick the right guy. 

Hopefully Benning is still here to pick the right guy. 

Just now, .Naslund said:

I'm shocked at the trading down opinions in here. We can't just assume that all of our prospects are going to reach their potential and neatly start pencilling all of our Schroeder's, Hodgkin's and Raymond's into our first lines. 

When drafting you take the BPA, plain and simple, especially when the difference in skill is so apparent. Also, a trade down in the top 5 is so RARE. It's not as simple as being like "hey 4th overall team, you want 2nd? Throw in an extra pick or top prospect and we have a deal". I can't recall the last time that's happened. 

If picking 2nd we take Svechnikov plain and simple. He's got franchise player level talent and had it not been for his injury he'd still be in the Dahlin or Svechnikov discussion. The funny thing is that since he came back...he's still piling up the goals. It's that whole Russian factor bias all over again. That's why Kucherov went in the second round and Tarasenko 15th. 

thank you for a rational comment - people here don't even see the implicit flaws in their assumptions - that being the guy we draft ranked at 5-10 has the odds of making as good or better of an impact than a guy who would have been a no brainer first overall if he wasn't competing with a franchise Dman...

People would want another Juolevi (love him but he's not a 1D and no D behind Dahlin is seen as a guaranteed 1d, they all have flaws) or Malkin ? I take Malkin

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Lol barf ;)  not a good fortune teller!! We are seriously due are we not?

I hope so. In fact last year I was so shocked to see us drop to 5. I am really starting to think its fixed. Toronto getting number 1 Edmonton new arena and Number 1. Phoenix is struggling so bad and we all know how much Gary hates Phoenix. If they get number 1 . I will longer think that , I will know.

22 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

in theory you are likely correct

but on this particular team

i think it better to convert this value now

fans here have great difficulty accepting trades of players who have become a canuck

even if they never ever pulled on a jersey -  forsling

fringe players who are traded or let go are cried over for ever ... corrodo is but one example

i don't agree the team depth is anything close to satisfactory

the pipeline is almost empty.. perhaps some longer shot prospect will make it

but we believed stech and hutton were those guys... are they ? really?

and dreaming that try will be back is a bit silly as well . cannot plan a team based on factors completely out of the team's control

the team requires dmen

i say let's get them now

and not fall into the edmonton dilemna

where their needs are so apparent and desperate that they seem forced to overpay

I am with you that we should trade down from a umber 2 spot.....

I am with you with we need D prospects

But I have trouble with you saying we don't have anything in the pipeline

Most every NHL analysis disagrees with you

Our prospects are doing very well.......it confuses me that you would think otherwise

As for Hutton and Stecher, they have probably reached their ceilings, or close to it

But lets give credit to them for being NHLers......they surpassed their ceilings

Potential is exciting for most......reality is exactly that, and we live with it.....doesn't mean we expect them to be top 2 Dmen

Back to the draft......trading down is dangerous....especially after CDC gets a hold of it

Not throwing stones, but there is a lot of second guessing that goes on here, and you are in there second guessing also

Just remember your words today, and I will be happy.....trading down scares the hell out of me

But second guessing years down the road, is 20/20 and 100%......not very fair....so if "we" support the Trading idea today

We should remember that 2 or 3 years from now

Archived