The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where does Toronto go from here?

rekker

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

The cheaper Mathews contract. The more they can spend on other players. The more talent may increase their chance of winning. I expect to hear something about Mathews agent wondering why his client see so little PP time.

They are not trying to keep his next contract artificially low but, if they were, don't you think Matthews would see that as well? That would almost guarantee Matthews would go to free agency at age 25......there is no way the Leafs management will let that happen. Not that I wouldn't like them to..........

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They are not trying to keep his next contract artificially low but, if they were, don't you think Matthews would see that as well? That would almost guarantee Matthews would go to free agency at age 25......there is no way the Leafs management will let that happen. Not that I wouldn't like them to..........

I hear you. It's a stretch and far fetched. It's obviously just me speculating. It will be interesting to see how his contract extension goes and maybe some mud gets slung then. 

They're technically still rebuilding. A lot of Babcock's decisions lately are questionable. Not sure why Komarov plays 24 minutes a night when he's essentially a 4th liner when they have a solid Top 9 guy in Brown on the 4th line.

That defence needs a lot of work. Whether it's internally developing guys, trading or free agency that defence is not nearly good enough. Gardiner and Polak aren't very good. Dermott looks promising though. They're getting Zaitsev back soon so getting a Top 4D back will at least help somewhat.

I doubt they go for Tanev, that's to expensive via trade. Plus why would Vancouver want to trade Tanev.

9 minutes ago, Xbox said:

They're technically still rebuilding. A lot of Babcock's decisions lately are questionable. Not sure why Komarov plays 24 minutes a night when he's essentially a 4th liner when they have a solid Top 9 guy in Brown on the 4th line.

That defence needs a lot of work. Whether it's internally developing guys, trading or free agency that defence is not nearly good enough. Gardiner and Polak aren't very good. Dermott looks promising though. They're getting Zaitsev back soon so getting a Top 4D back will at least help somewhat.

I doubt they go for Tanev, that's to expensive via trade. Plus why would Vancouver want to trade Tanev.

Polak. You knew they were desperate for D when they brought him back. 

44 minutes ago, rekker said:

But I thought their rebuild was done when they traded a second for Boyle, Signed old men in Marleu and Hainsey. Lol.

They traded for Boyle for the playoffs.  Nashville did the same - they gave up a 1st for Franson.  Not because they thought they would go all the way but because they think that playoff experience is critical if the team is to win one day.  

Fwiw last summer Babcock said that they were still some ways from being where they want to be.  He talks of staying the course and rebuilding steadily.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

They traded for Boyle for the playoffs.  Nashville did the same - they gave up a 1st for Franson.  Not because they thought they would go all the way but because they think that playoff experience is critical if the team is to win one day.  

Fwiw last summer Babcock said that they were still some ways from being where they want to be.  He talks of staying the course and rebuilding steadily.  

Oh believe me I know what Babcock has said. It's front page TSN everytime he does say something!

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Then why does media think their rebuild is done when he says the contrary.

Umm. Media pundits had the Leafs among the cup finalists or at the very least going on some long runs as of this year. One can assume they thought the rebuild was done. 

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Babcock is pretty strong headed. Lou is not in his ear about anything, and if he his, Mike has tuned him out. The problem is the defense. Its bad. The only top 4 guy they have is Reilly and he is a borderline #2 defenseman.

And no Liljigren is not the answer. They need a guy that can play the tough minutes. That is why we are so fortunate in Vancouver having Chris Tanev

I think you might be marginalizing Reilly a bit...in about 5 years we'll all be talking about young Morgan the way we talk about Doughty, Karlsson and Pietrangelo today...he will be a next level top tier Dman in this league and we'll all be wishing he wore blue and green instead of blue and white...

Him and (obviously) Matthews are about the only Leafs I'd want right now...I think the rest of the prospects are a tad over-billed, but who knows. Their peer group in the NHL is just being built right now amongst 30 other teams so we'll have to see how they stack up as a group...it is possible that they could turn into the Blackhawks in few years (Toews, Kane, Keith & Crow = future Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Andersen?) and dominate for 3 or 4 more but again that too comes at a price (big long term contracts that handcuff everything else once they start to decline)...but it's the TML...if they can win even ONE cup with this group over the next 7 years it will be declared the greatest rebuild ever (greater than even the WTC rebuilds)...

I can agree on most thoughts. As usual Leafs players are pumped by media. Kaberle, Phaneuf. I remember when Dreger said Reimer should get Olympic Team looks. The list goes on and on. I don't see Reilley achieving the heights of a Keith or Doughty. Just a level below them. Great dman though. Wish we had him!

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Toronto is an interesting study. Are they as good as the media makes them out to be? Are the players as good as the media makes them out to be? Marner is overrated. Gardiner is overrated and cant play D. Interesting that Mathews sits somewhere around 140th in the league in PP time for forwards. Then there is the bald god Lamarillo. I remember rumour was when they signed Kovulchuk to the big contract back in Jersey Lamarillo wanted nothing to do with it. Will he give Mathews the big contract? Is he holding back Mathews PP time to hold his stats back?

What media makes them out to be so good? All i see and hear is criticism more than anything.

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

yes certainly summer everyone is pumped but for the last couple months they seem more questioning every move and play.

Yip. Back to reality is why. The team is still a work and progress. They have the parade plans on hold for awhile. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Yip. Back to reality is why. The team is still a work and progress. They have the parade plans on hold for awhile. 

Yeah i lived there for 3 years, media scrutiny is unreal. As soon as the Jays are out of contention... next up comes the Leafs! People complain about media here, it is nothing like T.O.

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Yeah i lived there for 3 years, media scrutiny is unreal. As soon as the Jays are out of contention... next up comes the Leafs! People complain about media here, it is nothing like T.O.

I can imagine. I think they hand out press passes to anyone now. So many forms of media and so many options to take it in. 

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

I think you might be marginalizing Reilly a bit...in about 5 years we'll all be talking about young Morgan the way we talk about Doughty, Karlsson and Pietrangelo today...he will be a next level top tier Dman in this league and we'll all be wishing he wore blue and green instead of blue and white...

Him and (obviously) Matthews are about the only Leafs I'd want right now...I think the rest of the prospects are a tad over-billed, but who knows. Their peer group in the NHL is just being built right now amongst 30 other teams so we'll have to see how they stack up as a group...it is possible that they could turn into the Blackhawks in few years (Toews, Kane, Keith & Crow = future Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Andersen?) and dominate for 3 or 4 more but again that too comes at a price (big long term contracts that handcuff everything else once they start to decline)...but it's the TML...if they can win even ONE cup with this group over the next 7 years it will be declared the greatest rebuild ever (greater than even the WTC rebuilds)...

ehh. I live with 2 Leaf fans and a kings fan<_< so I sadly watch a lot of Leaf hockey. Not Reilly is good, but he will never get to that level. Perhaps a tier below but in Doughty, Karlsson and to a lesser extent, Pietrangelo, you are talking about HOF guys. I do not see that with Reilly.

Archived