The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I feel a lot of these calls are salary based decisions. However in the end it’s these decisions that are just destroying these prospects. Goldobin has so much skill and Jake has the speed. They gotta let them play before they completely fade into the background and fizzle out.

Tell me, do you watch the complete games? If you did you would realise SKILL doesn't make you an NHL player and neither does SPEED. That only happens on NHL 17.

For Christmas:

Goldobin: a 200 foot game and the realisation that everyone on the team needs to stop the opposition from scoring. 

Jake: Something resembling a hockey IQ and an ability to retain in your memory what your coach has told you, for longer than it takes to exit the dressing room and run onto the ice.

No one is "destroying prospects" these are the same "clown" remarks made about Desjardins. Prospects have to understand the game, how it is played, how not to play it, how to carry out your given role and coach's instructions, the importance of defence, the importance of not standing about looking like a spare pr--k at a wedding and above all the importance of consistency of effort and performance.

Jake gets these things for his first couple of games and then lapses into inertia.

Goldobin, sadly, can't help giving the impression that none of that applies to him and he will convince the coach in the end that he is too special to conform. Let's face it he's already convinced you.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"They're a big strong team, it's tough to get inside them. I thought we could have done a better job getting pucks on net." - Green

Isn't it frustrating when for years our coaches have been saying stuff like this about teams who beat us and yet over these years we have actually got smaller and less physical.

It was a mistake hiring someone like Linden to dictate team building policy for Vancouver imo

I admit this is hindsight but I've woken up now and I can see what is going on.

We needed a PoHO who wanted to change the identity of this Club not someone content to sit round the campfire with the Sedins discussing perpetuating the good old days and how to postpone their retirement plans.

Here's an idea: Let's retire the Twins and the PoHO at the end of the season and lets get someone in who favours "the good old Canadian Way" i.e. you don't sign players who don't have a line, you always push back, you always back your play and in the face of out right "Boston type goonery" the team philosophy is "one in, all in" - no one stands off.

None of the above negates "youth, speed or skill" Trevor if you are reading this.

KoS

Love the optimism but I don’t see this team as a playoff team. Everything would have to line up and other teams would have to falter.  

IMO, time to seriously move out current assists for futures. This year had to be circled on JB’s calendar for years. The twins are done, cap room will be there to add and we need to finish with the best chance at the 1st OA as possible. 

A lot of young talent will become AHL eligible next season, and adding a top pick to the mix would be awesome. 

Go all in for Dahlin and bring the twins back for camp and let them retire as did Alfredson.  At the home opener next year. 

With Dahlen, OJ, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind and Pettersson all likely in NA next year, the team can finally get that infusion of youth and talent to play an up tempo style. 

We need to build on that, and add as many picks and prospects as possible along the way. 

EmW

10 hours ago, 1-d said:

That back-tap passing to nobody by Henrik when he got the puck right in front of the Jets' crease was cream of the crops.

4 or 5 years ago that might have led to a goal or at least more cycling leading to a goal/fatigue in the other team.  Age... change of game style in the league... not enough supporting players who play like the Sedins... these all lead to this kind of stuff.  Hard to watch at the moment right now, I agree.

7 hours ago, singing chef said:

This is what the HNIC "experts" were discussing on Saturday, that the Sedins were still putting up 40/50 + points per season and should be back for another year.  These "experts" however, don't watch Canucks games and check only the stats.  What they don't see is that the Sedins are a REAL defensive liability when they are on the ice.  On Saturday they were a combined -5, with Henrik's poor pass in the closing minutes leading to an empty net goal against.  

I fully appreciate the fact that they were fantastic players in their peak and threaded passes where nobody had ever done before.  That magic touch isn't so evident these days and their passing is often to the wrong jersey.  They are still skilled players but are one dimensional, and when they are on the ice they are a scoring threat for both teams............ 

I wonder if there is a rift between Linden and Benning regarding the Sedins which is the reason Benning has not yet been re-signed for a further term.  Perhaps he is dead against bringing back the Sedins, advocating instead for some new blood with some snarl on the team (and this team REALLY needs snarl), while Linden, always a HUGE Sedins fan and somewhat of a pacifist, wants them back for another year or two.  So, who is the head honcho in the organization and whose input will sway Mr. Aquilini ?

Just my own thoughts on the matter, no inside info.

Hoping for better results in 2018-2019.

Yeah, they’re slow and not effective defensively - which is why ideally they’re deployed in offensive situations.

Bringing them back isn’t because they’re perfect - it’s because they’re still, defensive warts and all, more effective than 75% of the lineup and likely willing to sign a cheaper/shorter term contract than any available UFAs. 

10 hours ago, appleboy said:

Not for Guddy, but if you move  Tanev or Edler then you better have a young D prospect or two coming back.

It would take something we haven't seen yet in our D prospects for Benning to move Tanev.  Tanev is too reliable and good to get rid of for picks and prospects. 

That said, both Tanev and Edler should be moved sooner rather than later to build for the future.  Edler anytime since 2014 is good, Tanev maybe next Spring? 

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I agree Vanek goes, but really can't see space for the Sedins next year.  They likely want them back as mentors, especially for Pettersson and Dahlen, but if those two are good enough to make the team, then we also have Gaudette coming in plus Jake and Goldy require waivers next year.  Then there's the possibility (and capspace) to add someone like Kane.

Yes, space and a chance for the youth to prove themselves make the Sedins a very difficult decision.  Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen and maybe this year's pick: all deserve to play a ton of pre-season games.  Maybe even make the team.  Even if we find a way to move Eriksson and Gagner (I hope we keep Vanek over either of these), I don't see much room for the Sedins.  They only played a somewhat prominent role this year because of injuries to Horvat and Dorsett (and Sutter) and the step backwards for Goldobin and Virtanen.  If Horvat and Sutter see less injury time, and if Virtanen learns to chew gum and skate at the same time, then there is a serious logjam at the forward position. 

3 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Yes, space and a chance for the youth to prove themselves make the Sedins a very difficult decision.  Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen and maybe this year's pick: all deserve to play a ton of pre-season games.  Maybe even make the team.  Even if we find a way to move Eriksson and Gagner (I hope we keep Vanek over either of these), I don't see much room for the Sedins.  They only played a somewhat prominent role this year because of injuries to Horvat and Dorsett (and Sutter) and the step backwards for Goldobin and Virtanen.  If Horvat and Sutter see less injury time, and if Virtanen learns to chew gum and skate at the same time, then there is a serious logjam at the forward position. 

Please retire Sedins.  Your time has clearly ended and you have nothing left to prove in Vancouver. 

New blood is needed and a fresh look to the PP. 

If there was just one Sedin, then by all means, bring that one player back.  But both, playing together on one line is not helping the team. 

Had they been split up, I think we would have seen some originality and it would force both to change their styles. 

They have long long been neutralized as an offensive force and cannot add anything to the other aspects of the game. 

Bu all means bring them back for camp and on a PTO to allow them to retire together at the home opener.  They can mentor or next generation of players that way. But not for another full season. 

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

As sad as it is I honestly think that the Sedins should be moved at the TD. It is time to move on. At this point, we're going to have more and more young players stepping up as you said and really we could use better stop gaps.

This team is seriously lacking pushback. We need role guys that can take young guys like Virtanen and Gaunce under their wing while being able to protect our top guys like Horvat and Boeser if things get too hectic physically. 

Maroon, Reaves, Roussel, Bouma, Comeau, etc... Get some meat and taters this off-season. 

It is hard to imagine Gaunce and Virtanen getting to the next level on a team with no power forwards, and little push back.  The most likely prospects are not power/push back guys either, other than Lind and maybe Gadjovich.  But Lind and Gadjovich are still closer to long-shots than guys who will make the team in a year or two.  

The real problem isn't lack of physical toughness, but lack of size and endurance.  Other than Big Buff, Winnipeg isn't a mega-tough team, just big, relentless and willing to go to the net.  They don't forecheck too badly either.  

Maybe Goldobin and Virtanen need more time in Utica, although I'm beginning to think that neither is going to be a mainstay with the team.  (Breaks my heart about Virtanen, but this year has not been a good sign for his chances.)  

Singing Chef

If the rift is real and JB is not coming back next year (mistake) then he should be let go prior to the TDL. 

Too much is at stake with this offseason to not give an incoming GM as much time as possible to be ready for FA and Draft.  

Firing JB this year is a mistake, he has shown to be a quality drafting GM.  He has greatly improved his FA signings and seems to learn from his mistakes. 

Really want him at the helm for the draft this year.

EmW

4 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Singing Chef

If the rift is real and JB is not coming back next year (mistake) then he should be let go prior to the TDL. 

Too much is at stake with this offseason to not give an incoming GM as much time as possible to be ready for FA and Draft.  

Firing JB this year is a mistake, he has shown to be a quality drafting GM.  He has greatly improved his FA signings and seems to learn from his mistakes. 

EmW

It makes me nervous about the overall direction. I sense the owners impatience. It will set us back into a long term rebuild if they hire the wrong guy with a win now agenda.

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Singing Chef

EmW

Some of the free agent signings have seemed less than stellar, but otherwise he has been pretty good at building the prospect pool.  Not his fault that Laine went to the Jets on a fluke... or Dubois to Columbus.  

I had assumed that there was no problem between JB and TL (or ownership.)   The team does not need the uncertainty.

28 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Please retire Sedins.  Your time has clearly ended and you have nothing left to prove in Vancouver. 

New blood is needed and a fresh look to the PP. 

If there was just one Sedin, then by all means, bring that one player back.  But both, playing together on one line is not helping the team. 

Had they been split up, I think we would have seen some originality and it would force both to change their styles. 

They have long long been neutralized as an offensive force and cannot add anything to the other aspects of the game. 

Bu all means bring them back for camp and on a PTO to allow them to retire together at the home opener.  They can mentor or next generation of players that way. But not for another full season. 

How to handle franchise players is a real difficult problem -- for any team, any sport.  But I agree: when they are twins... and are such a class act OFF the ice?  Only makes it more difficult.  Never been identical twins in the league who could play at this level.  Unique, strange... remarkable, all of those things.  Easy to move, when looking for a renewal? Not so much lol.

Not a good weekend for sports. The Vikings got eliminated, and those cheating Patriots are back in the Superbowl. The Canucks lost twice as well.

Talk of the Sedins being re-signed has me puzzled. The only way this makes sense to me is if they somehow manage to trade Eriksson and Vanek. Next year there is a slew of forward prospects wanting to make the team (Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, MacEwen), but there aren't many spots. I haven't been happy with Virtanen and Goldobin. Goes to show how important Hockey IQ and composure is.    

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not a good weekend for sports. The Vikings got eliminated, and those cheating Patriots are back in the Superbowl. The Canucks lost twice as well.

Talk of the Sedins being re-signed has me puzzled. The only way this makes sense to me is if they somehow manage to trade Eriksson and Vanek. Next year there is a slew of forward prospects wanting to make the team (Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, MacEwen), but there aren't many spots. I haven't been happy with Virtanen and Goldobin. Goes to show how important Hockey IQ and composure is.    

Re-signing the Sedins is a bad idea. It's time for this team to move forward like other teams do, and let go of the past.

Archived