The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rugby World Cup - Japan 2019

Scottish⑦Canuck

Figured with the 6 Nations coming up next weekend, Vancouver soon to be getting a franchise, and seemingly increased interest in Canada that I'd create a thread. I don't think Scotland will win the 6N but I think we'll be competitive.

Also just applied for tickets to the World Cup in Japan next year. Here's the link if any of you are interested:

https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

It's a more team game than Gridiron/Football is. No specialities except for the kickers. Even the kickers have to be able to tackle. 

Way less breaks in the action. As one ex-rugby player noted. "It has more flow." 

Football is more tv friendly with all the breaks/time outs/ stops in the action. 

But I prefer Rugby. 

Heh what happened to today with Scotland losing in 7's to the Canadian mens side.... ?

Or do you not consider 7's to be rugby.

Canadian men suck at 15's .  Really hope that 2 pro sides in Van / Toronto may raise the level of domestic play here in Canada.   Sad to see the decline of Canadian National mens 15 side internationally.   Even Russia  / Germany and Spain are surpassing us.  

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Heh what happened to today with Scotland losing in 7's to the Canadian mens side.... ?

Or do you not consider 7's to be rugby.

Canadian men suck at 15's .  Really hope that 2 pro sides in Van / Toronto may raise the level of domestic play here in Canada.   Sad to see the decline of Canadian National mens 15 side internationally.   Even Russia  / Germany and Spain are surpassing us.  

I don't pay too much attention to 7s to be honest. Canada have a decent team though. The full 15 man game is the only thing people really care about and our side is as good as it has been in the last 20 years or so.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Just noticed that Canada lost to Uruguay and now need to win the repechage to get into the WC.

Yikes.

Canada beats Hong Kong to qualify for 2019 Rugby World Cup

MARSEILLE, France — Canada booked its ticket to the Rugby World Cup on Friday with a 27-10 win over Hong Kong, completing a perfect run at a last-chance qualifying tournament.

The Canadian men had to rely on their defence in the first half, repeatedly repelling a Hong Kong team that had 75 per cent of the possession but trailed 14-3 at the break. Canada (3-0-0) bent but didn't break with Hong Kong (1-2-0) unable to take advantage of its chances.

Canada was in control in the second half, grinding out the win

more here

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-beats-hong-kong-to-qualify-for-2019-rugby-world-cup-1.1214838

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

MARSEILLE, France — Canada booked its ticket to the Rugby World Cup on Friday with a 27-10 win over Hong Kong, completing a perfect run at a last-chance qualifying tournament.

The Canadian men had to rely on their defence in the first half, repeatedly repelling a Hong Kong team that had 75 per cent of the possession but trailed 14-3 at the break. Canada (3-0-0) bent but didn't break with Hong Kong (1-2-0) unable to take advantage of its chances.

more here

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-beats-hong-kong-to-qualify-for-2019-rugby-world-cup-1.1214838

Glad they qualified. For a while a few years ago it looked like Canadian rugby was improving but it seems to have taken a bit of a step back recently.

Scotland looking arguably better than they ever have going into a World Cup. Tough group though. Ireland are outstanding at the moment and Japan will be a tricky game. There isn't a huge gap between any of the top 6 or 7.

• Upvote 1

It has been reported the 2019 World Cup appearance could mean up to $10 million for Rugby Canada in terms of sponsorships, endorsements and World Rugby funding.

“It is a massive boost for Rugby Canada [based in Langford],” said Jones. “Every rugby club in Canada deserves credit today. We felt the support with everybody really behind us.”

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/langford-based-canada-team-pulls-off-win-books-ticket-to-2019-rugby-world-cup-1.23508316

Edited by Mackcanuck

On 11/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, Mackcanuck said:

more here

I watched this match on TSN this weekend. I honestly thought they were in big trouble as it seemed like HK spent the entire first half less than 10 yards from the Canadian goal line. It was all defense, with a couple of counter attacks that did the deed.

Tough group, but at least it's a WC berth. Maybe we can beat Namibia?:blush:

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I watched this match on TSN this weekend. I honestly thought they were in big trouble as it seemed like HK spent the entire first half less than 10 yards from the Canadian goal line. It was all defense, with a couple of counter attacks that did the deed.

Tough group, but at least it's a WC berth. Maybe we can beat Namibia?:blush:

$$$$ will now be put into Rugby Canada, It will help the Sport in Canada immensely

It has been reported the 2019 World Cup appearance could mean up to $10 million for Rugby Canada in terms of sponsorships, endorsements and World Rugby funding.

• Cheers 1

• 3 months later...