The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friends created a gofundme for their child receiving chemotherapy... no, there are no links!

canuckster19

Ok, so my friends who live in BC have a preteen child who's about to receive chemo. Basically they've created a go-fund-me where they're asking for money to help travel costs, which is understandable I guess cause they live very far from Children's, but they also say they need help for the chemo costs... and I'm thinking, what? Is healthcare not free anymore or is there some factor I'm missing here?

Please understand this isn't a criticism towards my friends, I'm just genuinely curious as to why this might not be covered.

I can't comment on their situation as I am unsure what it is but this is kinda close to hime.

My mother is undergoing radiation treatment and chemo for the 4th time in 30 years and this time is all but final and it's killing me just waiting.  It doesn't cost her anything for the treatment

But watching her go through this again makes me think as a parent, I've two daughters.

If they needed treatment and it cost anything out of pocket.  There would be no lengths I wouldn't go through and nothing I would hesitate to suffer to ensure they had every dollar they needed.

Intravenous chemo is covered, oral chemo might not be (that's not something I know about BC - some provinces don't cover it). Some private health plans pay for "extras" like a private room and so on if you're to be hospitalized, and as far as I know the in-house medical stuff itself is %100 covered. I know this because my dad went through it a few years ago and the only out of pocket expenses were travel, rent, and general cost of living for being an out of town day patient. It actually ended up being quite costly, and in retrospect a fundraiser or 2 would have been beneficial, but unsurprisingly was the last thing on anyone's mind at the time.

49 minutes ago, SliteriousBlackbeard said:

There are different forms of chemo and the option they may be looking at strongly, Might not be covered.

Only if they are going out of country I believe. If it's not covered, it's not available.

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I can't comment on their situation as I am unsure what it is but this is kinda close to hime.

My mother is undergoing radiation treatment and chemo for the 4th time in 30 years and this time is all but final and it's killing me just waiting.  It doesn't cost her anything for the treatment

But watching her go through this again makes me think as a parent, I've two daughters.

If they needed treatment and it cost anything out of pocket.  There would be no lengths I wouldn't go through and nothing I would hesitate to suffer to ensure they had every dollar they needed.

Jeez man. Hope your mother pulls through. Mine is in a better place now. Last summer / fall was pure hell.

I'm not joking when I say that every person I know knows somebody from a generation previous dying from cancer. It's like other forms of illness no longer exists.

The parents should contact Canucks Place, the Ronald McDonalds Charity, etc.  

My situation is different, but I've come across parents of NICU babies who are from the interior, the Yukons, etc.... and are able to stay while their child is being treated.  Usually some voucher for hotel stays or maybe the Ronald McDonald house next door, etc.  

Really really easy one. 

it's terrible and very hard to get thru, even if it's covered the pain and trouble caused is felt very wide.

anything to help them cope and make there situation easier will ultimately leave them with less stress.

maybe cable in the hosp, or snacks , eating out as they are travelling for treatments and such. 

maybe the dad is now smoking three packs a day cus he has so much stress, or rolling a big fatty helps mom cope after watching her kid dying all day and helping them fight thru it.

really it doesn't matter.

all that matters is there in a bad situation and asked for help, not judgement. i would never even think about that and bugs me it was even asked.

this is why not enough people who need a bit of help don't ask. fearful of judgement or having to explain themselves away.

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

The costs are probably to cover time off work. When you have a kid that is sick, you need to take unpaid time off work to take care of them.

As an employer I’ve had these types of situations happen. 

When I was younger I was stressing out as I wanted to keep the employee on during this time, but had trouble figuring out how to afford it. Then one of the seasoned employees came to me with a list of employees volunteering to take a cut to keep the other one on. I broke down, it hit me hard. Such great people willing to do that. 

Ive worked with the best people over my career. I love all of them. 

23 hours ago, BabychStache said:

As an employer I’ve had these types of situations happen. 

When I was younger I was stressing out as I wanted to keep the employee on during this time, but had trouble figuring out how to afford it. Then one of the seasoned employees came to me with a list of employees volunteering to take a cut to keep the other one on. I broke down, it hit me hard. Such great people willing to do that. 

Ive worked with the best people over my career. I love all of them. 

This is true. At my job, we had someone who had gotten sick and they were part-time and did not have benefits. Someone arranged for their shifts to be covered by volunteer groups. Basically, you worked their shift for them and they got paid. People stepped up for a year or so. Smart way to do it. Depends on the person and the work environment though.

Archived