The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doping

P0RKCH0P

Anyone want to point in direction of the thread or wanna discuss this? 

I'd love to know about hockey doping. Like guys like McDavid with his speed or Crosby. I ask this after watching Icarus on Netflix. 

Like that russian hockey player who passed on the bench, did he die this way? This Russian guy knows his stuff. It's crazy. Another question.. who do you guys think is the most honest athlete in the world? From all sports? 

I don't like to speculate as to who might be doping and who isn't...without any proof or failed tests, it's not fair to any of the athletes to throw unsubstantiated accusations at them.

As for the most honest person in sports.  If we're talking about doping, then Jose Canseco was probably the most honest man in sports.  Not saying he was the cleanest guy in sports, but he was honest about it.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Lucic's antics scream roid rage.  You don't act like that much of a goof without chemical assistance.

Considering the millions of dollars these top guy can earn, it would be naive to think there are not some players (especially guys trying to get into the league, or earn their first big contract, or in their UFA year) who use PEDs.  It's a game that lends perfectly to PED use.  Being heavier, faster, able to recover quickly, and being very aggressive are rewarded.  I think I've read on CDC, and heard (so called) experts discuss the scenario where two players are equally skilled, so the heavier and more aggressive (sand paper) one is selected.  

I think PED use would be most pronounced in the lighter player, who needs to gain mass (while keeping speed) and become more aggressive.  

Does the NHL even test their players? 

I could see it being more prevalent with guys trying to extend their careers vs. kids coming up in the draft, so many of the prospects are slight and can't even do 1 pull up that I don't think its made its way into the minors in a widespread way, although i'm sure there are a few guys that get into it. 

It sounds like recreational drug use is on the rise: https://www.tsn.ca/all-nhl-player-doping-samples-tested-for-cocaine-this-season-nhlpa-says-1.735457

I started a similar discussion a while ago. Some interesting reads in there:

I cannot imagine that hockey of all sports is clean and full of saints and with a mix of amazement and disgust I observe how the big leagues and associations (the NHL being a rather small fish) manage to hold off and downplay the PED issue in public discourse. Even after big scandals (cycling, US athletics) nothing really seems to change. There is obviously to real public interest in honest competition.

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Lucic's antics scream roid rage.  You don't act like that much of a goof without chemical assistance.

Definitely, he should have been tested at the times of these antics. 

I believe Shawn Horcoff was once caught with elevated testosterone levels as a member of the Ducks and their was an ex Russian enforcer that once mentioned use of PEDs in the NHL.

I remember reading a few years ago that the anti-doping protocols in the NHL were a joke (I can't remember where it was). It basically said that they test during training camp and then 1 or 2 "random" times during the season. I place quotation marks around random because the athletes are apparently still given 1 to 2 weeks notice before the "random" test. Take with a grain of salt because I can't remember the source and I'm not sure if it was 100% factual or partially speculatory.

However, if that is true then it is incredibly easy to pass a doping test if you know when it's going to happen. 

Doping is probably quite prevalent in the NHL. I won't say everyone is doing it, but probably a decent percentage are. I won't speculate on which specific players do and don't without evidence, but I do privately have my opinions. And as others have speculated, the most prevalent users are probably 4th line grinders and older players looking to prolong their career.

Also wasn't the entire Russian u18 team replaced a few years ago just days before the start if the u18 WJC due to a doping scandal?

Archived