The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bouchard vs. Dobson - The Athletic's in-depth analysis

D-Money

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

These two kids are only 2 months and a few days apart in age so I don’t buy into the “extra development time” part for draft rankings, used to prop up Dobson’s future. 

If we play that game then Boqvist is going to be superman. 

I think it's just a reference to the fact that Bouchard played an OHL season in 2015/16 - ie this being his third season of major junior - whereas it was Dobson's second.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, this is true.  I think the big difference is that Bouchard has been pounding the ice +30 mins a game all season long.  I would think that would escalate his development and that is why scouts think he will be in the NHL very soon.

They're both good prospects, but we may see Dobson's development eclipse Bouchard's at some point.

Yes...Boqvist is going to become superman...or mighty mouse::D  Either way, he will shine in the NHL, although it will take him longer than the likes of Dobson and Bouchard.

Heard the London Knights of the OHL own Boqvist’s CHL rights, and met with him about playing over here next season.  

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think it's just a reference to the fact that Bouchard played an OHL season in 2015/16 - ie this being his third season of major junior - whereas it was Dobson's second.

Yes, I get the context.

A year of extra playing, but these kids started skating at 3-4 years old. You’re generally born with the gifts to be a top 7 pick, IMO. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, I get the context.

A year of extra playing, but these kids started skating at 3-4 years old. You’re generally born with the gifts to be a top 7 pick, IMO. 

Totally agree.  We are born with talents, and can only improve on them through hard work and natural maturing.  I see both Dobson and Bouchard as having slow feet.  Bouchard looks fully matured, so I doubt his skating improves that much.  Dobson looks like a boy still.  I see room for growth with him, but he will still have slow feet.  

"They both fall just outside the 90th percentile among blueliners at generating scoring chances, which is very good, but not elite, and I don’t expect either player to translate it as a primary source of offensive generation in the NHL."

This part to me stands out.  He then says Bouchards passing leads to more offense generation from the Blueline.

Jim started last year they want a PPQB.  If they want a guy to setup PP shots Bouchard is probably the guy. If they want that potential along with a better shot Boqvist might be our guy.

I have my D board as for our needs as:

Boqvist

Bouchard

Dobson

I don't include Hughes because he's a lefty. He could be the best for us. Some believe his defensive coverage could be worse then Boqvist but it's difficult to tell when he always has the puck on his stick. I would be estatic with any of those 4 D.

Bob McKenzie recently said in his bobcast the top 12 players in his recent draft list have all been put into the top 5 of at least one of the teams he's sampled.  That leaves a lot of open interpretation.

Montreal decision at 3 and the decision at 4 will set things into motion.  He even said Zadina may not even go in the first 5. Now komoneimi is believed to be a top 5 pick by many teams.

So MTL taking Koko isn't a stretch anymore. Anything we thought we knew about this draft seems to be out the window.

Late edit: Boqvist and Dobson are both nearly a year younger then Bouchard. Boqvist is 10 months younger. Not sure the difference in Dobson but it's said to be a fair bit.

Just now, Alflives said:

Heard the London Knights of the OHL own Boqvist’s CHL rights, and met with him about playing over here next season.  

That could be a very good move for AB.  Getting used to the NA game on the small ice.  He could even go another year in Europe and then join the Knights the following season (or he could go to Utica). If he falls to the Canucks, I think they will be mindful as what's best for his development.  I don't see him NHL ready until 20/21 season.

Can you imagine Boqvist and Pettersson on the same team?  Breathtaking!

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, I get the context.

born with gifts don't tend to be what they're referring to in "development" or experience, however.

in the end the author is probably over-stating this as they've both spent the past two years playing full major junior seasons.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

crushed it at the combine - 2nd in mean power output, 3rd peak power output

and won't turn 18 until mid August

I really hope we get Boqvist.  He appears to have that undefinable “it” factor.  

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

That could be a very good move for AB.  Getting used to the NA game on the small ice.  He could even go another year in Europe and then join the Knights the following season (or he could go to Utica). If he falls to the Canucks, I think they will be mindful as what's best for his development.  I don't see him NHL ready until 20/21 season.

I hope AB, if he does come to play for the Knights, does so as a player on loan from his Euro team.  Then he can still play in the AHL as a 19 year old, rather than getting stuck like Olli with either playing in the NHL or the OHL.  

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

crushed it at the combine - 2nd in mean power output, 3rd peak power output

and won't turn 18 until mid August

A lot of strength and power in a lean body like Pettersson

A great flo like Boeser.

Definitely 'Canuck like'.

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really hope we get Boqvist.  He appears to have that undefinable “it” factor.  

My only concern with Boqvist is his concussion history. I believe he's had two already in his teenage years. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. I'd hate to see young guys career derailed from concussions.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

A lot of strength and power in a lean body like Pettersson

A great flo like Boeser.

Definitely 'Canuck like'.

I think Boqvist will be there for us at 7.  

Dahlin

Svechnikov

koko

Zadina

Tkachuk

Hughs

Scouts seem to think Dobson is a lot more raw and had untapped potential left.

I picked up a copy of the hockey prospects black book. I'll share you with a quote about Bouchard I find hilarious lol. Here it is:

"His skating reminds me of cough medicine, it leaves a real awful taste in your mouth but it works"

LoL. There are a few notes from scouts to saying Bouchard reminds them a lot of Jake Gardiner in his draft year for whatever reason. I don't see the comparison personally.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

My only concern with Boqvist is his concussion history. I believe he's had two already in his teenage years. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. I'd hate to see young guys career derailed from concussions.

That’s a definite concern.  I would be okay with Hughes.  I want nothing to do with Dobson or Bouchard.  They will both be NHL players, but (IMHAO) they will not be difference makers.  We need a serious difference maker on our back end.  Boqvist and Hughes have that ceiling.  

Just now, Rush17 said:

Scouts seem to think Dobson is a lot more raw and had untapped potential left.

I picked up a copy of the hockey prospects black book. I'll share you with a quote about Bouchard I find hilarious lol. Here it is:

"His skating reminds me of cough medicine, it leaves a real awful taste in your mouth but it works"

LoL. There are a few notes from scouts to saying Bouchard reminds them a lot of Jake Gardiner in his draft year for whatever reason. I don't see the comparison personally.

Jake Gardiner from the Leafs?  Bouchard is supposed to have a decent hockey IQ, no?  Plus, Gardiner is a fabulous skater.  He’s just dumb as a post.  

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm hoping for Boqvist. Jim already made a safe (and good imo) pick on Juolevi, so I'd like to go for the high ceiling this time. 

I guess if somehow Tkachuk falls to 7 we might be able to rob Calgary of their 2019 1st rounder + Hamilton but then we'd have the douchy Tkachuk brothers beating up on us for years. 

I'm tired of hoping for miracles. I won't let myself be disappointed again this season.

I expect both Boq and Tkpuke to be gone.

Archived