The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

7 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Yep just like a 22 yr old 5th round pick who won the hobey baker and is just getting used to being a NHL player, he's a bust! Like Juolevi, a 21 yr old Dman, who progressed at every level and has just had some unlucky injuries, he's a bust! it amazes me how stupid some people are.

Yup. Getting out of hand. Lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cyoung said:

It was his first year pro, you need to take it down a notch haha. Saw a lot of good things from him, he needs to have a good off season and have some time to adjust the little things in his game. His development trajectory has been fantastic and I don't see him topping out yet at all. Patience.

And? What was he doing the other 3-4 years of his life. Boeser was a first year pro once and didn't play that bad. But hey, Gaudette is immune to criticism and is god's gift to hockey.

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Boeser is also a winger, who played his entire first season with our Best center, a strong winger, and on PP1 and OT, then a superstar center his second year and the PP1 again, along with OT.  Playing third / fourth line center is a much more defensively heavy role, with alot less offensive support. You may want to look at Horvat's first year as a proxy. He was .36 ppg, Guadette who was up and down and a 'fill in' given our depth at center, so never really 'settled' in, was .22 ppg. Your views don't suggest you know the game very well. Travis Green has said great things about his play and where it's headed, I guess you don't understand the nuances of the game.

Wow .. don't let logic get in the way of a good story man GTFOH with that ish

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Boeser is also a winger, who played his entire first season with our Best center, a strong winger, and on PP1 and OT, then a superstar center his second year and the PP1 again, along with OT.  Playing third / fourth line center is a much more defensively heavy role, with alot less offensive support. You may want to look at Horvat's first year as a proxy. He was .36 ppg, Guadette who was up and down and a 'fill in' given our depth at center, so never really 'settled' in, was .22 ppg. Your views don't suggest you know the game very well. Travis Green has said great things about his play and where it's headed, I guess you don't understand the nuances of the game.

How old was Bo in his first year? Lol. I like Gaudette, but people's perception of him doesn't represent his play. A guy that thinks we should take Seider at 10 is questioning my view of the game, how interesting. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

How old was Bo in his first year? Lol. I like Gaudette, but people's perception of him doesn't represent his play. A guy that thinks we should take Seider at 10 is questioning my view of the game, how interesting. 

LOL, keep on trollin little boy. And yes I do think they should take Seider. Much as I thought they should take Petterson last year. Carry on being angry at life. Sorry your life is so challenging that getting angry on message boards is your only way to get it out. Be well.

www.mindcheck.ca could be of help if you need

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

Above average is fine when your built like Bo Horvat.  Cauflied is 160lbs and 5'7.  He needs to be an excellent skater IMO.  

And not every player can improve their skating the way Bo, did, he was an exception not the rule. If it were as easy as just getting a good skating coach, alot of the weaker skaters in the league would have improved as well.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

again Cliff Ronning put up 197 points in Junior and never exceeded 29 goals in any year. and he was an exceptional skater.

It’s a completely different game now since The 90’s. If Ronning was playing now I believe he would have been a much more successful player. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

If you put your shoes into a GM of an NHL franchise consider the cost for acquiring a RHD. Here u go:

Calgary acquired Hamonic from New York for a 2018 first round pick, a 2018 second round pick and either a second round pick in 2019 or 2020. Along with Hamonic, the Islanders also sent a fourth round selection in 2019 or 2020.

Wouldn't it be much better to draft a RHD and add a top six winger to the team in free agency or in a trade?

Not to mention what Edmonton paid for RHD Larsson: a young star winger who subsequently won the Hart. Yes, good Dmen are ridiculously expensive to trade for.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, jptony604 said:

It’s a completely different game now since The 90’s. If Ronning was playing now I believe he would have been a much more successful player. 

True but ronning was also not a one dimensional player and a great great skater

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

And? What was he doing the other 3-4 years of his life. Boeser was a first year pro once and didn't play that bad. But hey, Gaudette is immune to criticism and is god's gift to hockey.

To be fair, Gaudette was a 5th round pick; Boes a 1st round.  Most rookies are treated gently when it comes to their 1st year; mostly people want to give them some time to adjust and learn where they can fit it. 

I don't think Adam is worth a 1st round pick in the draft this year either, but he will likely improve his game over the next few years.  I mean , look at Burr.  He managed 9pts in 81 games and already 25yrs old.  It's also easier to learn the NHL game as a W than a C.

44 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Byram, Harley and Kaliyev lead all draft eligibles in terms of age adjusted scoring. Kaliyev's numbers are top 5 caliber.

That defense list does not put a lot of confidence in it's effectiveness as a stat. The forward list is more respectable, but there are some major busts in there as well and Kaliyev could very well be another. Plus I would break it down even further and look at just wingers if we are making Kaliyev comparisons as their are a lot of high profiled centers there in which Kaliyev will never be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not to mention what Edmonton paid for RHD Larsson: a young star winger who subsequently won the Hart. Yes, good Dmen are ridiculously expensive to trade for.

I have to imagine this is more exception than the rule. There are only so many Chiarelli's in the league.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I have to imagine this is more exception than the rule. There are only so many Chiarelli's in the league.

Feel free to point out any examples you can think of where quality Dmen were traded (in recent years) for more reasonable prices. There is just a chronic shortage of quality Dmen in the NHL. To make them affordable, you pretty well need to draft them. My hypothesis is that as kids, most of the best players become centres, not too many choose defence.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Feel free to point out any examples you can think of where quality Dmen were traded (in recent years) for more reasonable prices. There is just a chronic shortage of quality Dmen in the NHL. To make them affordable, you pretty well need to draft them. My hypothesis is that as kids, most of the best players become centres, not too many choose defence.

I agree that quality dmen come at a high price, but Hall for Larsson is not the norm value-wise. Perhaps more along the lines of Johansen for Jones.

4 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

My hypothesis is that as kids, most of the best players become centres, not too many choose defence. 

This goes back over 40 years ago.

When I was involved in minor hockey; if you were to ask the kids in Mighty Mites, Mites, and Atoms what position they would like to play; most would have picked a forward position over Defence or goalie.