The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The Flyers just got Kevin Hayes for a 5th round pick.....and yet for us Minni wants Boeser for a Zucker trade to work...!

We should have grabbed Hayes ...the Flyers would have had a higher 5th round pick with us....

I just hope Benning doesn't get Zuckered this draft by trading away Hutton and Virtanen for  a Pylon....

They didn't get Hayes, they still have to sign him

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I think youd have to go 7 years on Panarin to get him away from NYR and FLA. 

Yes, you are correct

So, if Benning manages to sweet talk Panarin into playing here (7 years), does Benning draft a D with the #10? Do they only need to give up a 2nd to CBJ if the term is 8 years? If they keep the 2nd too, well then, sign me up! I also wonder if Tryamkin would be more inclined to sign and play if they brought in Panarin. 

UFAs - Panarin, Edler

Draft - (#10) Seider and (#40) Grewe/Legare

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Grewe/Legare

Edler - Hughes

Tryamkin - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Seider

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, you are correct

So, if Benning manages to sweet talk Panarin into playing here (7 years), does Benning draft a D with the #10? Do they only need to give up a 2nd to CBJ if the term is 8 years? If they keep the 2nd too, well then, sign me up! I also wonder if Tryamkin would be more inclined to sign and play if they brought in Panarin. 

UFAs - Panarin, Edler

Draft - (#10) Seider and (#40) Grewe/Legare

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Grewe/Legare

Edler - Hughes

Tryamkin - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Seider

Shouldnt have to give up anything to CBJ if hes a UFA. 

And no matter who we sign it should affect who we take at #10. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Other than the obvious (Byram), most of the D focus lately has been on Broberg and Seider. Soderstrom has had his fair share of attention as well. But there hasn't been much talk about York, Harley and Robertson. A couple of months ago Button pegged the Canucks to take Harley at #10. I thought this was a strange prediction, considering who was still on the table. I have watched all three play in a game situation, and I think York may be the best of those three. Benning mentioned they may need another mobile Dman, and York is definitely that. Although not very big (yet), he's a great skater, and very smart, makes the right plays. Harley is a big player, but he skates really well, and makes the smart plays too. Robertson is more of a defensive Dman I believe, but like Harley, he's a big player who seems solid in his decision making. Could Benning pull a fast one and nab one of these guys? I don't count on anything at the Draft, because they never pick the players I think they should lol

Future D

Tryamkin - Hughes

York - Woo

Juolevi - Rathbone

Each pairing has a mobile Dman and a defensive Dman with size.

I think York might be too good for Benning to pass up on. Perhaps he's ranked a little lower due to his size, in comparison to Broberg, Seider and Harley. He is exactly what they are looking for I believe. No, he's not a right-shot, but flawless skating, pure skill and high hockey IQ trumps that. York (like Hughes) is an elite puck moving Dman who can play both sides. Maybe not as sexy a pick as Broberg or Seider, but he may be the least likely to bustaroo of the bunch. 

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Shouldnt have to give up anything to CBJ if hes a UFA. 

And no matter who we sign it should affect who we take at #10. 

IF the term is 8 years it can only happen by trading for his rights.. 

Otherwise 7 years max for UFA.. 

I'm pretty sure you aleeady know that.. 

other teams might be willing to give something to CBJ so Panarin can get an 8 year deal.. maybe that helps bring his cap hit down a bit too. Obviously Panarin would prefer 8 yrs over 7. Get more money in his pocket. 

Edit

@mll pointed out

Karlsson can't sign 8-year extension until after trade deadline

by Josh Gold-SmithSeptember 20, 2018 1:52pm
SAN JOSE, CA - SEPTEMBER 19: (L-R) General Manager Doug Wilson, Erik Karlsson, and head coach Peter DeBoer of the San Jose Sharks pose for a photo during a press conference at the Hilton on September 19, 2018 in San Jose, California
Brandon Magnus / National Hockey League / Getty

If Erik Karlsson wants to ink a max deal with his new team, he'll have to wait a while.

The superstar defenseman cannot sign an eight-year contract extension with the San Jose Sharks until after the 2018-19 trade deadline on Feb 25, according to a CBA rule unearthed by The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

LeBrun cited page 285 of the NHL-NHLPA agreement, and specifically Rule 50.8, subsection (b) (iv), which states:

An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a club may sign a player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that player was on such club's reserve list as of and since the most recent trade deadline. With respect to potential unrestricted free agents only, the ability to re-sign a player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. With respect to a player who becomes a Group 2 restricted free agent, a club may sign such player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such player was on such club's reserve list and/or restricted free agent list as of and since the most recent trade deadline.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

After giving more thought I would like the Canucks to draft a player that will improve the team the most, in the future. This is more of a team need, than an apparent BPA. I've never really understood BPA anyway, everyone's is different. Isn't the BPA the Best Player Available for that team? Wouldn't the best player be a player they need most? Otherwise, we'll start looking like EDM by drafting the best C every year. That's worked well for them. ;)

I think these guys are gone by #10 - Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, and Boldy. Or maybe Broberg is gone instead of one of the forwards. Doesn't matter.

This is my list of who I feel would be the BPAs for the Canucks:

1. PEYTON KREBS - Plays both C and Wing. Captained Team Canada at the U18. I believe he led the team in points as well. He's a gamer and would look great with Bo.

2. CAM YORK - Fantastic skating, high hockey IQ, puck moving Dman. Him and Hughes with the 1-2 punch. I expect lots of production from the D.

3. ALEX NEWHOOK - Like Krebs, plays both C and Wing. He's already 190 pounds and produced around 2 points a game last year in the BCHL. Would look great with Bo.

4. VICTOR SODERSTROM - Already playing against men in Sweden, touted as the 2nd best D in the Draft. A right-shot, great skating, high hockey IQ player. 

• Upvote 1

Here's a fun fantasy possibility. All the teams get hypnotized by the quality forwards this draft and plan on drafting their defenceman in the later rounds. Byram falls to 10 and all the choice D after that are still available at 40. ^_^

Edited by John_Guest

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

After giving more thought I would like the Canucks to draft a player that will improve the team the most, in the future. This is more of a team need, than an apparent BPA. I've never really understood BPA anyway, everyone's is different. Isn't the BPA the Best Player Available for that team? Wouldn't the best player be a player they need most? Otherwise, we'll start looking like EDM by drafting the best C every year. That's worked well for them. ;)

I think these guys are gone by #10 - Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, and Boldy. Or maybe Broberg is gone instead of one of the forwards. Doesn't matter.

This is my list of who I feel would be the BPAs for the Canucks:

1. PEYTON KREBS - Plays both C and Wing. Captained Team Canada at the U18. I believe he led the team in points as well. He's a gamer and would look great with Bo.

2. CAM YORK - Fantastic skating, high hockey IQ, puck moving Dman. Him and Hughes with the 1-2 punch. I expect lots of production from the D.

3. ALEX NEWHOOK - Like Krebs, plays both C and Wing. He's already 190 pounds and produced around 2 points a game last year in the BCHL. Would look great with Bo.

4. VICTOR SODERSTROM - Already playing against men in Sweden, touted as the 2nd best D in the Draft. A right-shot, great skating, high hockey IQ player. 

Stop posting lists and hypothetical lineups!! You’re posts are insanely redundant. You’re like an infomercial on repeat. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Stop posting lists and hypothetical lineups!! You’re posts are insanely redundant. You’re like an infomercial on repeat. 

lol, yeah sorry, slow day at work, I'm bored

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

other teams might be willing to give something to CBJ so Panarin can get an 8 year deal.. maybe that helps bring his cap hit down a bit too. Obviously Panarin would prefer 8 yrs over 7. Get more money in his pocket. 

A player can only get 8 years if he was on the team's reserve list at the last TDL. Only CBJ can sign him to 8 years.  LeBrun thinks CBJ could agree to a sign and trade for a 2nd round pick.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes. Read right past that part of his post. My bad.

• Cheers 1

8 yrs is way too long. 7yrs is way better for a team that signs Panarin . At 34 his contract end so does his production why would a team want to pay top dollars for another year of declining production. It opens up money too sign a better younger UFA moving forward. 

i would like Canucks to sign Panarin too a 4 or 5 year. 

Keep the team young with no signed UFAs over 34 with stupid huge contracts.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Wat 1

24 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

8 yrs is bad way too long. 7yrs is way better for a team that signs Panarin . At 34 his contract end so does his production why would a team want to pay top dollars for another year of declining production. It opens up money too sign a better younger UFA moving forward. 

i would like Canucks to sign Panarin too a 4 or 5 year. 

Keep the team young with no signed UFAs over 34 with stupid huge contracts.

I’m sure the Canucks would love panarin as well. Especially on a 4-5 year deal. But neither will be happening.

most likely not signing panarin and no way would he sign a 4:5 year deal if he was

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m sure the Canucks would love panarin as well. Especially on a 4-5 year deal. But neither will be happening.

most likely not signing panarin and no way would he sign a 4:5 year deal if he was

Unless... Zaitsev, Podkolzin,Tryamkin and Panarin all become comrades. 

• Upvote 2

As much as I would love it if they signed Panarin, and as much as he'd probably love to play in Vancouver, I don't think Benning will sign him. They are looking for a winger for Bo this year and want to upgrade the D. No mention of Pettersson's line. My guess is they'll ride Baertschi on his wing until his head falls off.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As much as I would love it if they signed Panarin, and as much as he'd probably love to play in Vancouver, I don't think Benning will sign him. They are looking for a winger for Bo this year and want to upgrade the D. No mention of Pettersson's line. My guess is they'll ride Baertschi on his wing until his head falls off.

Your probably right.  Poor Baertschi I hope his concussion are behind him. This draft our pick may or may not play next season. Maybe we draft a U18 player going to college next year.

I can’t wait til draft day 

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

Your probably right.  Poor Baertschi I hope his concussion are behind him. This draft our pick may or may not play next season. Maybe we draft a U18 player going to college next year.

I can’t wait til draft day 

Yeah, I'm psyched for this Draft. The wife and I are going on vacation in a couple of days for 2 weeks. We get back on June 21 (Draft Day), and then our Anniversary is the next day (Day 2 of Draft Day). Yikes, not sure how I'm going to pull off watching this thing lol  Will probably have to PVR 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I'm psyched for this Draft. The wife and I are going on vacation in a couple of days for 2 weeks. We get back on June 21 (Draft Day), and then our Anniversary is the next day (Day 2 of Draft Day). Yikes, not sure how I'm going to pull off watching this thing lol  Will probably have to PVR 

Have a great trip and Anniversary regardless of draft. PVR it.

Im coming around more on Broberg.

Partially because I think Benning likes him & will take him if hes available. So part of it is bracing for 'disappointment', I suppose.

But at the same time I think hes a good top 4 D prospect. I dont see a ton of risk b/c his defensive game is really strong, but I also dont see a massive ceiling b/c his offensive game is limited. 

His tools are great, which makes him so intriguing. Maybe he could be a Bouwmeester/Klefbom type #2/3D is kinda my thought.

• Cheers 1