The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

yeah, I'm not sure why I sound panicked lol I think goaltending and C are the only areas where there are no real concerns.

I wonder what Goldobin is working on this off season too, and what kind of player he'll be this fall when he shows up to camp. Really hoping he improves and fits into one of the Top 6 wing positions.

With the #10, I have no doubt they will get a good player, but the Canucks have to remember that there are three divisional teams ahead of them in the picking order (LA, ANA, EDM). Other teams are keeping pace, even going beyond what the Canucks are doing these days. LA and ANA also have two 1st rounders each this year. Benning needs another 1st rounder, at the least. Someone mentioned that the 2020 Draft will be the best one in years? Maybe the Canucks need another Top 10 pick for next year too.

panic is a symptom of being on CDC :lol:

Goldy.... yeah I'd love it if he came back better, he should have all the tools and he's not really a small player either.... dunno, hope for the best i guess.

I wonder with Soderstrom showing a growth spurt at the combine if someone picks him ahead of us. I could see Edmonton going d. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

panic is a symptom of being on CDC :lol:

Goldy.... yeah I'd love it if he came back better, he should have all the tools and he's not really a small player either.... dunno, hope for the best i guess.

I wonder with Soderstrom showing a growth spurt at the combine if someone picks him ahead of us. I could see Edmonton going d. 

I can see EDM going D as well, like last year. Broberg is my guess, but I could see Soderstrom too. I guess the more teams that pick D ahead of us the better IMO. I want an elite forward at #10. Take the best D at #40.

Yes, the Canucks need D, but we don't know what conversations Benning  has been having with Tryamkin (if any) to bring him here. I imagine they'll re-sign Edler. Hughes will make the team, Juolevi might too. Suddenly, the D depth looks okay:

Edler - Tanev

Tryamkin - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Rathbone - Woo

Thomson or Vlasic

11 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

you are right, agree.

I recall that Jim inquired about moving up to 6th overall - the spot Detroit picks -.

It was part of an report published in the Province, written by Ben Kuzma.

Ken Holland wanted VAN's 2nd round pick.

Jim said that's too much.

To me it's pretty obvious: Canucks are high on a guy which most likely goes 5th / 6th overall.

Personally I doubt that this guy will fall to them.

What's the difference between this guy and the guy we probably get at #10.

- higher skill level.

- more NHL ready.

2nd pick seems fair to me. That could be the difference between Byram/Dach/Turcotte & Krebs/Soderstrom or whomever.

Would suck to not have a 2nd, but if they could move Sutter or someone & get another 2nd Id do it. 

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

just a Q - Does anyone see any similarity between Vilardi and Boldy? 

Not really apart from size. Boldys faster/better skater. More of a goal scorer. Vilardi is probably closer to Dach, but Dach is probably faster too.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can see EDM going D as well, like last year. Broberg is my guess, but I could see Soderstrom too. I guess the more teams that pick D ahead of us the better IMO. I want an elite forward at #10. Take the best D at #40.

Yes, the Canucks need D, but we don't know what conversations Benning  has been having with Tryamkin (if any) to bring him here. I imagine they'll re-sign Edler. Hughes will make the team, Juolevi might too. Suddenly, the D depth looks okay:

Edler - Tanev

Tryamkin - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Rathbone - Woo

Thomson or Vlasic

I'm pretty hopeful about Rathbone becoming an eventual top 4. For sure there are some interesting d options in the 2nd round we should have access to. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It sounds like the Canucks may not want to take on any bad contracts, and if this is the case, then I think any deals with TOR are out. They won't want to take any salary (player) back either. They'll probably want prospects and picks in return. (eg) Kapanen to VAN for Lind and a 2nd.   

I cant see that getting it done. The concencus from Toronto media seems to be that they could get Kapanen on a team friendly bridge deal.

They might use him to help dump a bad contract, otherwise if they deal him Id imagine it would be a hockey deal to improve their team. 

I  have concerns about three names I'm hearing could be players available for us at 10:  Zegras, Soderstrom, and Caufeild.  IMO, these three are likely bustaroos.  There will be other options for us at 10 who have higher ceilings and lower bustaroo potential.  Podkolzin, Seider, Broberg, for example are all way higher ceiling players than those first three, and have really low bustaroo concerns.  Why take a guy that has a limited ceiling and is a high bustaroo?    

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It sounds like the Canucks may not want to take on any bad contracts, and if this is the case, then I think any deals with TOR are out. They won't want to take any salary (player) back either. They'll probably want prospects and picks in return. (eg) Kapanen to VAN for Lind and a 2nd.   

So that might not be Zaitsev or Lucic (those are bad contracts and only make sense if say Eriksson is going back). But is one year of Marleau 'bad'?  Could play on EP40 and Boeser's LW for one year, isn't vastly overpaid for his production and should come with some futures for helping clear his cap. Benning may very well be open to that (or something like it)

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So that might not be Zaitsev or Lucic (those are bad contracts and only make sense if say Eriksson is going back). But is one year of Marleau 'bad'?  Could play on EP40 and Boeser's LW for one year, isn't vastly overpaid for his production and should come with some futures for helping clear his cap. Benning may very well be open to that (or something like it)

They should be looking at taking on a 'bad' contract. This team needs assets badly & we have the cap space to do it.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I  have concerns about three names I'm hearing could be players available for us at 10:  Zegras, Soderstrom, and Caufeild.  IMO, these three are likely bustaroos.  There will be other options for us at 10 who have higher ceilings and lower bustaroo potential.  Podkolzin, Seider, Broberg, for example are all way higher ceiling players than those first three, and have really low bustaroo concerns.  Why take a guy that has a limited ceiling and is a high bustaroo?    

Caufield has a limited ceiling??

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Come on Jim, Canucks need another 1st! Don't let LA and ANA show you up like that ;)

Pacific

LA - #5 and #22

ANA - #9 and #29

EDM - #8

VAN - #10

ARI - #14

VGK - #17

CGY - #26

SJ - none

FWIW, they're pretty much just starting their rebuilds. When we started ours, we had two firsts as well.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They should be looking at taking on a 'bad' contract. This team needs assets badly & we have the cap space to do it.

I'm ok with him not taking on a multi year anchor like Lucic or Zaitsev 'bad' contracts (at least not without Eriksson going the other way). But a Marleau or a Callahan etc in the right deal...? Absolutely.

I think you might be able to rationalize those out of the 'bad' column though with the right return ;) 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

It's going to be fun when we're a good team again in a few years and able to bring 'secondary' prospects like Rathbone into a no-pressure situation. 

It's this type of roster development that can turn good teams into great teams.

I think the kid has sneaky upside. Guys like that tend to flourish in a good, healthy system 

I think Rathbone is coming here next spring (2020) to play a few games and burn that year off his ELC.  The kid is really good.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Love that they're considering Newhook. Could be the next Barzal.

So other two/three could be Soderstrom, Broberg, Krebs? Maybe one of the US kids Boldy or Zegras?

Can't touch the US kids, all college commits and any favoritism or development has to be out of pocket. I could see Krebs or the Swedish D making it over though. We did this in '17 with Pettersson/Glass, I don't believe we flew anyone over in '18.

42 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Definitely would take on the 1 year remaining ones but I would rather push our cap ceiling with Panarin or Karlsson. Taking on a Lucic for a second for example limits our ability to make our team better with elite talent.  Now if we strike out completely on those FAs then it may make sense as a backup plan.  

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

FWIW, they're pretty much just starting their rebuilds. When we started ours, we had two firsts as well.

Yes, that's right, but I have a feeling LA and ANA will rebuild very quickly, and still be a thorn in the Canucks' side the whole way. Speaking of McCann, he looked great at the Worlds. Here's hoping Pearson can have a career year on Bo's wing.  45+ points should do it :)

The rich keep getting richer in Vegas. They have the #17 and they don't have to participate in the expansion Draft. EDM hired Holland to run the show, so I expect that team to take a big step forward, they will be a contender in 2 years. CGY and SJ are already contenders and don't look to be slowing down. ARI has a better prospect pool than us.

So, how does Jim keep up? I really like Benning, but the Canucks need him (or another GM) to be more assertive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we need high end speed and skill.  Doesn't matter what position, because at this point, we need a bit of everything.  Just use our excellent scouts and pick the highest ceiling, elite skill and speed guy.  I think the bpa will be a forward, because it seems like the defence are being pushed up the list for teams looking for a dman.  Sort of like Barret Hayton last year.  He is a good player but probably didn't belong at 5th OA.  I have a feeling the same might happen with Soderstrom, Broberg, etc...

But wtfdik?

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, how does Jim keep up? I really like Benning, but the Canucks need him (or another GM) to be more assertive.

Just keep doing what he's doing and let the plan continue to progress.

• Upvote 1