The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser or Pettersson rookie totals

cuporbust

Who will have more rookie goals ?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Scowered a little to see what was out there on this subject.  Thought it was interesting.....

Projecting Junior Hockey Players and Translating Performance to the NHL

How difficult is it to score a goal in the National Hockey League relative to another league? With half of NHL players coming from the minor leagues, a quarter from European Elite Leagues, 20% coming directly from Canadian Major Junior and 10% from the NCAA, that’s a question NHL teams try to answer every day. In evaluating these players, it is critical to know how a player’s performance translates to the NHL.

One way to evaluate the difficulty of one league relative to another is examine the relative performance of players who have played in both leagues. Players rarely play significant time in two leagues in the same year, but they often play in one league in one year and in another the next. As long as a player’s skill level is approximately constant over this two year period, the ratio of his performance in each league can be used to estimate the relative difficulty of the two leagues.

Historically, the only statistics available are goals, assists and games played. With so little data, the best quantity to compare is a player’s Point-Per-Game rate (PPG). The difficulty of a league relative to the NHL can be determined by dividing the PPG that a player had in that league in one year by the PPG he had in the NHL the next year, or vice-versa. The PPG should be adjusted for the assist per goal rate in each league since European leagues don’t award a second assist as often as the NHL does.

The SHL has a lot of career players who would most likely have a shot in the NHL had they chosen to leave Sweden. Competitiveness is pretty much similar, there are cities with strong hockey talent pools that may sometimes beat up on others. By and large all teams have a shot and can move themselves out of the basement of the league. Mostly through a strong defensive game and good goaltending, hence European players being good two way players. Large ice surface and the play style breeds these players

20180830_002023.jpg

I hate to be honest here , but the truth is it is getting easier and easier for Europeans to transition to the North American game , because that style of hockey is what the NHL is transitioning towards . 10 years ago, there would be a rude awakening for any swedish player not ready for the open ice hits and physical play of the NHL game . It is still different,  but not nearly as much as it used to be . U have less time to think , and higher overall talent , but i dont think Pettersson would be nearly as ready if he had spent two years playing for North Dakota as he is right now. 

Good research... thing is its on average. Players in general will find it a lot harder than Brock to score, when they move from NCAA to NHL... but the same will hopefully and probably be said about Pettersson as up to now he hasn’t been your normal average Swede. 

Feel the difference could be the age and strength at this moment in time. 

I have very little doubt that Pettersson overall will be the better playmaker... and probably even on par withBrock as a finisher... just don’t think it’ll be in his 1st year..... hope I’m wrong and he hammers the door down right from the start, starting in the prospect tournament. 

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Good research... thing is its on average. Players in general will find it a lot harder than Brock to score, when they move from NCAA to NHL... but the same will hopefully and probably be said about Pettersson as up to now he hasn’t been your normal average Swede. 

Feel the difference could be the age and strength at this moment in time. 

I have very little doubt that Pettersson overall will be the better playmaker... and probably even on par withBrock as a finisher... just don’t think it’ll be in his 1st year..... hope I’m wrong and he hammers the door down right from the start, starting in the prospect tournament. 

Two reasons why Pettersson will have a better rookie season

than Boeser. First he get to play with Boeser. 

Second he will have more leeway and opportunity to take prime minutes with the twins gone. 

Providing Pettersson stays healthy I see no reason why he won’t have one of the best rookie seasons in club history. 

Had Boeser stayed healthy he was on pace to have the best rookie season in club history. 

It will be about games played. Pettersson will be getting prime O zone minutes cause that’s what he is best at and it is the biggest team need as well. 

Pettersson playing on wing most of the season on second line with Sutter as his centre??

Pettersson will need a good centre to put up better numbers... Maybe Grandlund as his centre.

I think he will be lucky to score 45 points..

Predict GP 75 - G 16 - A 29 -- 45 Pts

Could see Leipsic - Pettersson - Erickson --- Maybe after 40 games.

58 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Second he will have more leeway and opportunity to take prime minutes with the twins gone. 

Providing Pettersson stays healthy I see no reason why he won’t have one of the best rookie seasons in club history. 

Had Boeser stayed healthy he was on pace to have the best rookie season in club history. 

It will be about games played. Pettersson will be getting prime O zone minutes cause that’s what he is best at and it is the biggest team need as well. 

It remains to be seen if he can pass the puck the way Henrik did. I think the key to Pettersons success may lie in who plays center with him if they play him on the wing. Power play time does he become the passer or another shooter? Who will QB the power play. If no one can do it until QH comes along then Petterson may not have the points.

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Pettersson playing on wing most of the season on second line with Sutter as his centre??

Pettersson will need a good centre to put up better numbers... Maybe Grandlund as his centre.

I think they will try Petterson with any of the centers to see if there is any chemistry between them There is no guarantee Petterson starts at center. He most likely starts at wing but not neccessarily with Sutter or Granlund or????

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

We'll see... not as sure as you are...

With the Sedins gone, all focus will be on Pettersson and Boeser. They will be facing the toughest match up every game. 

Welcome to the big league Pettersson.

Just now, spook007 said:

We'll see... not as sure as you are...

With the Sedins gone, all focus will be on Pettersson and Boeser. They will be facing the toughest match up every game. 

Welcome to the big league Pettersson.

Adding to this.. If the canucks dont show any form of physical push-back (like the last few seasons). Injuries may also be a big concern with EP and Boeser getting hammered all over the ice. 

40 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Leipsic is not on our team; he’s an AHLer.

I see Pettersson picking up the majority of his points on the PP.

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Adding to this.. If the canucks dont show any form of physical push-back (like the last few seasons). Injuries may also be a big concern with EP and Boeser getting hammered all over the ice. 

Agree 100%... Will be interesting to see, how he copes. With the Sedins gone, focus will be on BB and EP, who will face the hardest opposition each game.

Pettersson will most likely be our best player eventually, but it may not be in his rookie season. 

Most important is for Pettersson to get a foothold on NA ice... the rest will take care of itself be it this season or next.

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Leipsic makes the team for sure..

I do like , Jake - Pettersson - Lou   on a line maybe after 30 games..

Leipsic can replace Beartchi..

I’m not a Baer fan either.  If Leipsic is better than Baer, I’d be pleasantly surprised.  

I think Pettersson would do well paired with Jake.  Jake’s (faster than McDavid) speed and size would create space for Elias to work his magic.  

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Keep in mind that Boeser's rookie season was his draft +3 season, while Pettersson's will be his draft + 2 season. Also important to factor in that Boeser was already well acclimated to North American ice, while Pettersson won't be when he makes the team.

Keep in mind that Pettersson is a pimp :P

Will be hard to match Boeser's goal or PPG but the other two are very possible.  

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Keep in mind that Pettersson is a pimp :P

Will be hard to match Boeser's goal or PPG but the other two are very possible.  

Pettersson is not just “a pimp”, but he’s “THE pimp”.

(what exactly does this mean anyway?)  :wacko:

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m not a Baer fan either.  If Leipsic is better than Baer, I’d be pleasantly surprised.  

I think Pettersson would do well paired with Jake.  Jake’s (faster than McDavid) speed and size would create space for Elias to work his magic.  

I think Petterson would do well with Jake also however i was hoping Jake would be on the top line with Horvat and Boeser. He looked really good there last year at the end of the season.

Petterson would be best as a center with some wingers that can finish. Eriksson would be a good player to try with Petterson. Good defensively and maybe that helps him get his scoring touch back.

They said they want to give Sutter more of a chance to play as an offensive center as well. Who plays wing with him? Maybe Rousell? Maybe Baer?

I think overall if Petterson can step in and play center which i think is his ceiling and not a overly high one at that he will have more success depending on who plays with him that can finish

Brock across the board, I think EP will have a harder time acclimatizing to the NHL and find he needs to bulk up a bit if he's going to carry an offense. EP will get a ton of "welcome to the NHL" moments early and without the Sedin sheltering Brock got it would be unfair and unrealistic to expect EP to have that kind of season right away.

Plus they'll probably pair him with Sutter or something...

I think the answers to these will depend mostly on how many games EP plays, and how he is used. If he spends a whole season on the #1 PP with Bo and Brock his PPG and points could easily pass Brock’s rookie year totals. I don’t see EP scoring more goals though. 

If he is eased into it more with reduced PP opportunities and weaker linemates and we won’t see the same numbers. 

For what it’s worth I put B.B. for goals and EP for everything else because it’s stil summer so all of our prospects are all stars and we are going to win 98 straight games followed by a parade. 

Archived