The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

full Automation. are we ready for that?

Just now, aeromotacanucks said:

does "transonic acceleration" mean anything to you? you need at least 300 miles to do this. AT LEAST 300 miles, not to mention the departure, noise reduction, descent, arrival and the procedure itself. there´s no way a Concorde would match a B737-200 on this route...

you can´t simply go straight to the sea, accelerate then reduce. big jets do not accelerate like fighters. especially when you have to break the sound barrier...

really? so why China didn´t simply ignored the FAA and purchased some? have you actually stayed near a "sonic boom" area?

because I did and if a single F15 already make you feel the "stomp" imagine a thing with the size of a B727 rushing at mach 2. even USAF made na experimente about it...

Mate, the reason why Concorde DIED in the trans-atlantic flights corridor, despite not having sonic booms to worry about and such, is because very few people were willing to pay 10,000 dollars for a 3 hour New York to London flight when they can pay 1,000 dollars for a 7 hour New York to London flight.

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Mate, the reason why Concorde DIED in the trans-atlantic flights corridor, despite not having sonic booms to worry about and such, is because very few people were willing to pay 10,000 dollars for a 3 hour New York to London flight when they can pay 1,000 dollars for a 7 hour New York to London flight.

nope. one of the reasons Concorde died is because after BAE systems and Aerospatiale merged forming AIRBUS they decided not to support the plane anymore. the maintenance of an analog supersonic airplane was becoming expensive as hell and even more if you consider that the lifespan of a supersonic airplane is actually pretty short and Airbus didn´t want to spend more Money on it especially when they were spending a lot of Money on another failure. the A380

people will ALWAYS SPEND MONEY that´s why these new SSTs are atracting so much people. they want spend Money on something.

if Airbus decided "ok &^@# it we gonna keep the Concorde" people would still fly it. why do you think people are trying to bring back the Concorde?

not having sonic booms to worry about?????

from NY to London the transonic stage was right next to Halifax and yes they complained a lot about it, on the way back it happened near Ireland and guess what they also complained a lot...

concorde was allowed to fly supersonicaly over the atlantic because on a very large portion of the flight nobody would be disturbed by it.

a single transonic stage can consume at least 900MILES. and guess whay during this stage it´s still having the boom!

heck when Concorde operated in Brazil the transonic stage was done 900MILES AWAY, not 300 but 900MILES away. yet even spending a whale of fuel all flights were full

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Why be limited to just 1 when you can have all 3 in 1?

/Tesla.

100% this

It would really depend on the drive for me. I love driving sometimes, other times (like 300+km on the highway) I'd love to go full auto and chill.

Or if I go to a party and get $&!#tered - "car, drive me the &^@# home"

Driving in the city I'd prefer to have full "manual" transmission so I can rage at traffic lights and a**hole drivers that likely can't control a goddam shopping cart, let alone their white Mercedes SUV with "I have no idea home to drive" dents and scrapes all over it.

My question is - are 70% people ready to be forced to take the bus? As in - here's the car you're not allowed to drive. You can tell it where to take you, but you're not driving, no &^@#ing way.

Edited by luckylager

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

100% this

It would really depend on the drive for me. I love driving sometimes, other times (like 300+km on the highway) I'd love to go full auto and chill.

Or if I go to a party and get $&!#tered - "car, drive me the &^@# home"

Driving in the city I'd prefer to have full "manual" transmission so I can rage at traffic lights and a**hole drivers that likely can't control a goddam shopping cart, let alone their white Mercedes SUV with "I have no idea home to drive" dents and scrapes all over it.

My question is - are 70% people ready to forced to take the bus? As in - here's the car you're not allowed to drive. You can tell it where to take you, but you're not driving, no &^@#ing way.

maybe in the future with self-driving cars people will not have to worry about "having a car" anymore because they can simply call one when they need and they car will come all by itself...:)

2 minutes ago, aeromotacanucks said:

maybe in the future with self-driving cars people will not have to worry about "having a car" anymore because they can simply call one when they need and they car will come all by itself...:)

Like a pet

But a car

What if I want a truck? All this talk about cars and I forgot that I drive a truck.

A truckdog would be pretty cool. Just whistle and it takes me fishing... Talk about mans best friend!!

and guess what i made the calculations from Philladelphia to NY...

from one international airport to another: 90miles

90MILES!!!!!!!

any yet somebody want to do it on a CONCORDE?????????

ok if you consider some extra miles due to ATC vectors and such you would have not more than 100MILES

really how on Earth somebody want to use a supersonic jet to do a job that it´s not efficient even for a REGIONAL TURBOPROP????

the time you will need to climb to 10000ft on a supersonic jet you will already pass the JFK because a regional plane climbs at 170kts while a Concorde climbs at minimum 250kts

again with a transonic distance needing at least 300miles how on Earth a 90mile route would be feasible for a supersonic jet???????

even with holds, speed reduction etc. a regional prop will do it in 30min max...

Edited by aeromotacanucks

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Like a pet

But a car

What if I want a truck? All this talk about cars and I forgot that I drive a truck.

A truckdog would be pretty cool. Just whistle and it takes me fishing... Talk about mans best friend!!

good point. feel free to present your ideas :)

Edited by aeromotacanucks

vw-id-vizzion-interior.jpg

Personally I want the option to have a wheel and manual controls. 

Maybe that's why I like Motorcycles so much. Manual shifting. Wind in your face (along with bugs, etc). 

The sound of the engine. And your senses on full alert, because a lot of drivers just don't see you. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe that's why I like Motorcycles so much. Manual shifting. Wind in your face (along with bugs, etc). 

The sound of the engine. And your senses on full alert, because a lot of drivers just don't see you. 

We have to consider if regulations will allow a full automatic car like this...

I don't think so...

So we have a new heavily virtualized IP phone system at work that does all of this fancy $&!#. And our old phone system was your standard hardware tip and ring analog system from the early 2000s. One is absolutely rock solid and the other would collapse like a house of cards if you blew on it. I'll let you guess which is which. Software is prone to glitches and bugs and hackers all the time. Just look at Windows and Office of Microsoft for example who have a monopoly on the desktop environment. If you have a software manufacturer that is producing all of operating systems for your car, or whatever it is you are trying to automate, then you get lazy, careless, buggy design and it's going to affect everyone. Just look at the Super 8 plane that flew itself into the ground - that was software based. And now people are dead. Don't be surprised if self drive cars one day start accelerating beyond the speed limit driving people into walls at 110km/hr because there is a software defect none of the designers noticed or because the QA process sucks.

Similarly to the Nike self tying sneakers and the smart phone app - some things that can be automated and turned into software probably shouldn't be..

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Like a pet

But a car

I think they will kinda outlaw diy type lifestyle.Need a load of dirt for a garden now you just call up a robot that shows up and does it all for you.

I think self driving cars are gonna be fun to mess with you can just force them to stop or build a baracade around them.

Develope portable emp blasts that can take out small areas will be very interesting.

Edited by Violator

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I prefer cycling..you cats can choose. But we're 'tech-ing' our way to extinction..so I don't give a crap.

Back to wooden ships is cool too.(everyone just slow down, & make that footprint smaller!)

Back when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

that carpet though!

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

A friend of mine while working on an app about studying foreign languages faced himself the need of automation of processes  he wanted to add some message functionality to his mobile application but didn't have a clue how to realize this idea. I recommended him to ask Voximplant https://voximplant.com for help as they have a cloud-based platform which will perform all those communicative functions automatically. Saw him the other day, said that everything runs smoothly ::D automation is the power :frantic:

Edited by Timont
additional info