The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2019-20

canuck2xtreme

On 7/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, canuck2xtreme said:

With Return to Play rules and timelines finally getting firmed up by the NHL, I'd like to note that we are also doing the same here behind the scenes and will have more information to share shortly.

In the meantime, this will be a very important ACTIVITY CHECK!

Please respond to this, PM, text, discord, something. Let me know you're still here so we can make sure that if/when play resumes, we are all ready to go!

Please DO NOT shrug this activity check off.  If you don't respond, YOU COULD LOSE YOUR TEAM!

Awaiting reply from:

Atlantic                       Metro                            Central                          Pacific

Boston                        Carolina                        Chicago                       Anaheim

Buffalo                       Columbus                     Colorado                      Arizona

Detroit                        New Jersey                   Dallas                          Calgary

Florida                        NY Islanders                 Minnesota                   Edmonton

Montreal                    NY Rangers                   Nashville                     Los Angeles

Ottawa                       Philadelphia                  St. Louis                       San Jose

Tampa Bay                 Pittsburgh                     Winnipeg                    Vancouver

Toronto                       Washington                                                       Vegas

@Ty Webb @winterhawks @Winter Soldier @RL. @theminister

@Brunners @FlamesFan98

For some reason I can't find Andre Leplum (Anaheim) in tag list...?

On 7/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, canuck2xtreme said:

With Return to Play rules and timelines finally getting firmed up by the NHL, I'd like to note that we are also doing the same here behind the scenes and will have more information to share shortly.

In the meantime, this will be a very important ACTIVITY CHECK!

Please respond to this, PM, text, discord, something. Let me know you're still here so we can make sure that if/when play resumes, we are all ready to go!

Please DO NOT shrug this activity check off.  If you don't respond, YOU COULD LOSE YOUR TEAM!

Awaiting reply from:

Atlantic                       Metro                            Central                          Pacific

Boston                        Carolina                        Chicago                       Anaheim

Buffalo                       Columbus                     Colorado                      Arizona

Detroit                        New Jersey                   Dallas                          Calgary

Florida                        NY Islanders                 Minnesota                   Edmonton

Montreal                    NY Rangers                   Nashville                     Los Angeles

Ottawa                       Philadelphia                  St. Louis                       San Jose

Tampa Bay                 Pittsburgh                     Winnipeg                    Vancouver

Toronto                       Washington                                                       Vegas

Edited by canuck2xtreme

:bigblush: He's COMING!!!! May not play this play-in but I took a chance trading for this kid in my first season of GML. I am so happy he is going to come to the north america and give it a go. Kaprizov is going to be a big part of our future in Columbus! I heard he be part of the groups training camp and practice group in phases 3 and 4. I need to confirm that is the case and what all that entails. But either way... Welcome to North America buddy! 

Edited by Rush17

6 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

@Canuck Surfer @Brunners @FlamesFan98

For some reason I can't find Andre Leplum (Anaheim) in tag list...?

Awaiting reply from:

I am here, raring to go

4 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Did I miss something??  Why is everyone talking about trading Brock Boeser??? 

yeah no kidding I see this everywhere lol. Good plan I guess start building quality depth then trade it away. Makes zero sense to even entertain moving him at this time lol. There is no cap issues like so many keep suggesting.

If the team is needing to shed cap there are ways of doing that by affecting the lesser parts of the roster lol.

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

yeah no kidding I see this everywhere lol. Good plan I guess start building quality depth then trade it away. Makes zero sense to even entertain moving him at this time lol. There is no cap issues like so many keep suggesting.

If the team is needing to shed cap there are ways of doing that by affecting the lesser parts of the roster lol.

Amen brotha Mike.

Keep trying to explain we can move off lower down the roster pieces... Nobody seems to be listening.

And our crack media doesn't seem to care about actual facts as usual.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

How can we shed cap?

4 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

How can we shed cap?

Next season is the last year of the Spooner buyout as well as the buried portion of Sven Baerschi's deal, so there's a little over $3.3 million right there coming off going into Petey and Hughes' contract extensions.  The year after, the Luongo re-capture BS is over with, there's another $3 million.

As for players, Loui Eriksson (obviously) and Brandon Sutter are the two that leap out at me.  Those two are a combined $10.375 million and they're playing 4th line.  Once the $6 million in dead space is gone, and if they can find a way to move those two, there's an extra $16 million.

If your concern is for the 2020-21 season, I think we'll manage with lower than expected extensions to Markstrom and (hopefully) Toffoli due to Covid19, and affordable roster fillers in the interim. 

Miller (5.25) - Petey (0.925) - Boeser (5.875)

Pearson (3.75) - Horvat (5.5) - Toffoli (5.5)

Roussel (3.0) - Gaudette (0.917) - Virtanen (1.25)

Eriksson (6.0) - Sutter (4.375) - Beagle (3.0)

Motte (0.975) - MacEwen (0.85)

Hughes (0.917) - Tanev (4.75)?

Edler - (6.0) - Stecher (3.0)

Myers (6.0) - Benn (2.0)

Juolevi (0.865)

Markstrom (6.0)

Demko (1.05)

Total: $77.749 million.

Cap Space: $3.751 million

Now granted, I have no idea what (if any) bonuses from this year get applied to next years cap.  But that's just a quick look, and doesn't involve moving any of the bad contracts.  If we can unload one, we're fine.  We may be fine anyways.  Tight, sure, and maybe handcuffed from making a move they'd prefer or adding a piece they'd like. But definitely not backed into a corner where we need to be giving up a 23 year old sniper with the potential to score 50 as he (and his elite level center) mature into their roles.  Also keep in mind they'll be losing a piece when the expansion draft comes along. Perhaps a shrewd trade convinces them to take a contract we'd rather be without.

5 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

If your concern is for the 2020-21 season, I think we'll manage with lower than expected extensions to Markstrom and (hopefully) Toffoli due to Covid19, and affordable roster fillers in the interim. 

Roussel (3.0) - Gaudette (0.917) - Virtanen (3.0)

Myers (6.0) - Benn (2.0)

Juolevi (0.865)

Markstrom (6.0)

Demko (1.05)

Cap Space: $1.551 million.

Jakes RFA comps have him around 3m like Stecher.

12 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

How can we shed cap?

With covid et al, I personally don't think Toffoli gets much above his current $4.9, let's say $5 +/-.

Stecher is going to need to sign for closer to his current contract as well if he wants to stay. Somewhere between $2-$2.5. If not, he/his rights get moved. We may need to move off someone anyway as we're starting to have ready, depth D bodies pile up (Tryamkin, Brisebois, Juolevi, Rafferty, Sautner...). Any of who are cheaper than $3m Stecher as much as I love the guy and his 'try'.

I have Tanev pegged at $4.5 +/-. Injury/games played history, covid, opportunity to keep playing with Hughes... You take a hair cut.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Jakes RFA comps have him around 3m like Stecher.

Yeah Virtanen likely gets a bit more but I think his maturity and consistency issues (as well as covid) keep him to a short term, $2.5 +/-.

Then there's the unaccounted for bonuses ($1.7 IIRC), Luongo cap recapture, Ferland, Baer etc. So still likely work to be done to squeeze everyone in.

Personally I think we move off Benn. Not likely to return anything but someone will have interest in a vet, bottom pair D. Replaced From within for cheaper.

Also hopeful that we could retain on Baer and move him. $1.6m Baer with only one year left is a cheap, top 6 gamble for a team desperate and lacking depth there. If not, a buyout may be an option as well.

From there we have to make some tough decisions. Unfortunately, as much as I love Roussel, moving him is the cost to keep Toffoli IMO, whose clearly the superior player. He's an in demand player that we simply no longer have space for. His contract is on the rich side which will limit the return but he shouldn't be hard to move. It's also our position of most depth. Him, Baer and Benn already clear almost $6m in cap.

I'd also entertain moving Virtanen at some point next year. Ideally packaged, perhaps with a prospect, for a young right D. Particularly with Podkolzin on the way (possibly as soon as early next spring).

Sutter at the deadline next year seems a no brainer as well.

Of course all of this is even easier if Eriksson does the honourable thing and just retires after this season :lol:

Edited by aGENT

On 7/13/2020 at 10:36 AM, canuck2xtreme said:

Awaiting reply from:

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Got some time, but this is concerning. Fingers crossed. :unsure:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

With covid et al, I personally don't think Toffoli gets much above his current $4.9, let's say $5 +/-.

Stecher is going to need to sign for closer to his current contract as well if he wants to stay. Somewhere between $2-$2.5. If not, he/his rights get moved. We may need to move off someone anyway as we're starting to have ready, depth D bodies pile up (Tryamkin, Brisebois, Juolevi, Rafferty, Sautner...). Any of who are cheaper than $3m Stecher as much as I love the guy and his 'try'.

I have Tanev pegged at $4.5 +/-. Injury/games played history, covid, opportunity to keep playing with Hughes... You take a hair cut.

Yeah Virtanen likely gets a bit more but I think his maturity and consistency issues (as well as covid) keep him to a short term, $2.5 +/-.

Then there's the unaccounted for bonuses ($1.7 IIRC), Luongo cap recapture, Ferland, Baer etc. So still likely work to be done to squeeze everyone in.

Personally I think we move off Benn. Not likely to return anything but someone will have interest in a vet, bottom pair D. Replaced From within for cheaper.

Also hopeful that we could retain on Baer and move him. $1.6m Baer with only one year left is a cheap, top 6 gamble for a team desperate and lacking depth there. If not, a buyout may be an option as well.

From there we have to make some tough decisions. Unfortunately, as much as I love Roussel, moving him is the cost to keep Toffoli IMO, whose clearly the superior player. He's an in demand player that we simply no longer have space for. His contract is on the rich side which will limit the return but he shouldn't be hard to move. It's also our position of most depth. Him, Baer and Benn already clear almost $6m in cap.

I'd also entertain moving Virtanen at some point next year. Ideally packaged, perhaps with a prospect, for a young right D. Particularly with Podkolzin on the way (possibly as soon as early next spring).

Sutter at the deadline next year seems a no brainer as well.

Of course all of this is even easier if Eriksson does the honourable thing and just retires after this season :lol:

On 7/13/2020 at 10:36 AM, canuck2xtreme said:

Awaiting reply from:

We are alive in Anaheim.

14 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Next season is the last year of the Spooner buyout as well as the buried portion of Sven Baerschi's deal, so there's a little over $3.3 million right there coming off going into Petey and Hughes' contract extensions.  The year after, the Luongo re-capture BS is over with, there's another $3 million.

As for players, Loui Eriksson (obviously) and Brandon Sutter are the two that leap out at me.  Those two are a combined $10.375 million and they're playing 4th line.  Once the $6 million in dead space is gone, and if they can find a way to move those two, there's an extra $16 million.

Roussel (3.0) - Gaudette (0.917) - Virtanen (1.25)

Myers (6.0) - Benn (2.0)

Juolevi (0.865)

Markstrom (6.0)

Demko (1.05)

Cap Space: $3.751 million

Now granted, I have no idea what (if any) bonuses from this year get applied to next years cap.  But that's just a quick look, and doesn't involve moving any of the bad contracts.  If we can unload one, we're fine.  We may be fine anyways.  Tight, sure, and maybe handcuffed from making a move they'd prefer or adding a piece they'd like. But definitely not backed into a corner where we need to be giving up a 23 year old sniper with the potential to score 50 as he (and his elite level center) mature into their roles.  Also keep in mind they'll be losing a piece when the expansion draft comes along. Perhaps a shrewd trade convinces them to take a contract we'd rather be without.

The bonus will be around 900K I think

Virtanen will be closer to 3 mil than 1 mil

Gaudette and Tanev at those prices are stretches, but for the sake of argument I will give you it.

So that would leave us with no cap, and no significant additions. The issue is not that we need to trade Boeser, its the fact that we have two elite players in their final years of their rookie contracts and we can not take advantage of it because of poor cap management and poor foresight by management.

6 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

The bonus will be around 900K I think

Virtanen will be closer to 3 mil than 1 mil

Gaudette and Tanev at those prices are stretches, but for the sake of argument I will give you it.

So that would leave us with no cap, and no significant additions. The issue is not that we need to trade Boeser, its the fact that we have two elite players in their final years of their rookie contracts and we can not take advantage of it because of poor cap management and poor foresight by management.

I'd argue that our young talent might not have developed this well if not for surrounding them with the right vets (even if they're overpaid).

Still shouldn't trade Boeser. Pay someone to take one of the vets if absolutely necessary.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1