The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets sign Gustav Nyquist

54 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

We will go nowhere without a real good quality winger for Horvat, Nyqvist should had been the perfect fit for him i'm so disapointed. 
Eriksson prevents us to sign Nyqvist that's upset me. This guy will do everything he could to not help us.

Hope we get rid of him very soon.

baer will help that line if he can stay healthy

as oldews says, although development is slow and a bit uneven,

it would be great progress if virtanen can push for a top 6 role by the end of the season as well

cannot fill every hole with veteran players on 5 year contracts

or it blocks younger players

or at least reduces their hopes

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Would have rather kept the first from the Miller trade and signed Nyquist instead to play with Petey for pretty much identical cap hit.

Fair enough but Miller plays a completely different type of game from Nyquist.

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Couldn't JB sign him at the same price, and then try to get under the cap before the season starts?

Could, but probably doubts anyone would take our overpaid garbage. Played it safe kept the assets. Sounds like we’re stuck with Eriksson if that’s the case.

14 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Fair enough but Miller plays a completely different type of game from Nyquist.

Thats true but Nyquist is a good offensive player, who I believe could have helped Petey develop and was on pace for 65 points last year with Detroit. The cost obviously is much lower, could have potentially made the playoffs this year and then selected another top 4 Dman with the 20th pick at the draft.   

53 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Thats true but Nyquist is a good offensive player, who I believe could have helped Petey develop and was on pace for 65 points last year with Detroit. The cost obviously is much lower, could have potentially made the playoffs this year and then selected another top 4 Dman with the 20th pick at the draft.   

I’m guessing the Canucks preferred a player who has a combination of skill and grit; one willing to go into the dirty areas to retrieve the puck for Pettersson and Boeser as opposed to strictly an offensive guy (115 hits vs 39).  As mentioned by another poster, the Canucks were very interested in Nyquist, however, the recapture penalty associated with Loungo put the brakes on that notion.

As for the draft pick, there is as much a statistical chance that you get a player who never plays top 4d in the 20+ pick of the first round.  Since 2013, the following were taken in late round 1: Mueller, Theodore, DeAngelo, Juulsen, Larsson, Carlsson, Cholowski, Johansen, Vaakanainen, Joseph, Jokiharju, Merkley, Miller, Johansson, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Lundkvist, Sandin, and Alexeyev.  Of those 19, I’d say 1 is a bonafide top 4 and 2 are on the cusp.

Theodore, Cholowski, Jokiharju, K Miller, Sandin, or Ville Heinola would be nice. Lately there has been guys like Woo, Wilde, Hague, Timmins going even in the second round. I trust Brackett to find good players especially after the first 15 picks he gets probably more say, did a great job with Boeser. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Theodore, Cholowski, Jokiharju, Miller, Sandin, or Ville Heinola would be nice. Lately there has been guys like Woo, Wilde, Hague, Timmins going even in the second round. I trust Brackett to find good players especially after the first 15 picks he gets probably more say, did a great job with Boeser. 

Isn’t the 2020 draft class fairly strong but relatively weak on defence prospects?

39 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Isn’t the 2020 draft class fairly strong but relatively weak on defence prospects?

Forwards are stacked in 2020 but their are some solid Dmen, probably deeper than this past year. The great forwards will push some good Dmen farther down the draft though

Edited by Bure_Pavel

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Forwards are stacked in 2020 but their are some solid Dmen, probably deeper than this past year. The great forwards will push some good Dmen farther down the draft though

Maybe the Canucks don’t make the playoffs this year and the pick slides to 2021.

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Maybe the Canucks don’t make the playoffs this year and the pick slides to 2021.

Ya probably the most likely scenario, they need to move out some bad contracts. There is just the risk that if we miss again in 2021, its now a lottery pick.  

15 hours ago, BPA said:

Couldn't JB sign him at the same price, and then try to get under the cap before the season starts?

You don't want to put yourself in a position where teams can take advantage of you. We would have to be adding high picks for teams to take cap off us and I'm sure Benning would be criticised for using picks in such a way.