The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Compete? Wear is there competition in riding a wild bull or horse? Or running down and lacing up a calve? 

I am a HUGE fan of the UFC, but comparing the 2 is BEYOND ridiculous and laughable. I don't even understand how anyone could compare a rodeo forcing animals into these roles to willing humans who sign contracts and are paid to fight? 

yep its called a hypocrite   it is a competition  see if you can last 8 seconds on a wild bull , somebody had to get on a wild horse and ride it  , yep it called getting food lol   your the one humanizing animals  so what the difference 2 guys beating the crap out of one another or a guy riding a horse  which is really worse ?  lol

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

what!?!?!

there's animal UFC?

I'm a big fan...I want to see bear vs tiger first!

Dana is drawing up the contracts as we speak!

Tiger is +450 betting favorite at the moment. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Haha 1

Just now, the grinder said:

yep its called a hypocrite   it is a competition  see if you can last 8 seconds on a wild bull , somebody had to get on a wild horse and ride it  , yep it called getting food lol   your the one humanizing animals  so what the difference 2 guys beating the crap out of one another or a guy riding a horse  which is really worse ?  lol

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or actually that stupid...which worries me. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Compete? Wear is there competition in riding a wild bull or horse? Or running down and lacing up a calve? 

The types of horses used in chucks ARE born to races. They been bred that way and that is what they are meant to do.  This is what makes them happy. When they retire them it is extremely common they get really depressed and pass away. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

Are they wild bulls?

I thought someone just cranked a strap up into their junk or something to piss it off? 

what is 'getting food lol'.....do they slaugther and prep the 'wild horses too....what the Kenny Blankenship are you going on about?

12 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

The fact that you see any correlation between society becoming lazy, entitled and weak (which I happen to agree is becoming true) with the abuse/mistreatment of unwilling animals is beyond comprehensible. 

You eat meat? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, the grinder said:

trolling lol ya right  so what is the difference then     they are both competitions ,  they are both cruel    they are both could result in death   so really   there are both the same   

Human has the choice to compete, and the animal doesn’t.  That’s the difference.  Saying that, rodeo horses are family to their owners.  UFC is disgusting.  It’s not sport.  Just because two people agree to beat each other senseless, doesn’t mean it’s okay.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

UFC is disgusting.  It’s not sport.  Just because two people agree to beat each other senseless, doesn’t mean it’s okay.

I never thought you would be in support of getting rid of fighting in hockey.

Do you think boxing or any martial arts comp should be legal?

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Are they wild bulls?

I thought someone just cranked a strap up into their junk or something to piss it off? 

what is 'getting food lol'.....do they slaugther and prep the 'wild horses too....what the Kenny Blankenship are you going on about?

lol ok  well it quite obvious  you have never been on a ranch or farm  , never seen anyone  breaking a  wild horse in to be able to ride a horse ,   roping a calf is how catch a calf  , you don't call it over like a dog , getting food like beef   it comes from a cow  just like leather does  duh

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

:lol:

Yeah, the nerve of keeping an animal in check :lol: 

Can someone tell me if this guy is for real?

Are you for real ?  Have you ever even owned a dog ?  

If yanking on the leash worked, then you'd only need to do it a few times and your dog would get better. Instead, it escalates. The more you yank on a leash, the more you need to yank on a leash. The harder you pull, the more your dog's 'opposition reflex' kicks in.
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol ok  well it quite obvious  you have never been on a ranch or farm  , never seen anyone  breaking a  wild horse in to be able to ride a horse ,   roping a calf is how catch a calf  , you don't call it over like a dog , getting food like beef   it comes from a cow  just like leather does  duh

I was born on a farm. Northern England

Lots of time around horses. My sisters used to compete alot. 

That said I am having a hard time trying to figure out what you are trying to type in general.

Edited by bishopshodan

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, the nerve of keeping an animal in check :lol: 

Terrible way to teach a dog or any animal. 

Should all be positive reinforcement. Mark it (clicker training) , reward, name it, reward.

Think about all those Ocras and dolphins that are really well trained, you can't yank the leash or smack them on the nose.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah that’s actually not true. The rodeo charges it’s own access at around $75-120 per ticket to watch. That’s on top of the $18 to get into the grounds. The rodeo itself brings in just shy of $50 million revenue per year once you include ticket sales, tv advertisement, and in ground 

Looking at this article it's clear it is a complex entity - the Stampede that is.  One thing that stood out right away is that the city leases the land to the Stampeded for free essentially  ($10.00 for 50 year lease).  This is an enormous cost they don't incur. 

This struck me though :

When all is said and done, the Stampede has run operational surpluses of about $2 million to $3 million in each of the past five years. (Without government grants, its operations were in a deficit position of roughly $4.5 million to $7.5 million each year)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4735486

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yes, I’ve had four. Currently have two. 3 of which have been/are show dogs.

I am surprised to hear that.  There is no need to yank on a dogs leash. Punishment is not the way to teach your dog.

Edited by kingofsurrey