The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, fanfor42 said:

Fair enough but again. When I posted this I said the D and Goalies are not as good. I said an argument can be made that the forwards are getting close.  By your count you have 5 better new 2 ties and 6 better old forwards. Lol. Almost exactly what I said 

Yeah, but most of the newer forwards I gave the nod to were depth guys. Most of the top 6 was a win for the older squad. Henrik, Daniel, Kesler and Burrows all in their prime trounce Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Ferland as of this moment. 

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

13 wins for the cup run team, 6 wins for the current team. Two I can't decide on.

Honestly, as much as I like the looks of the current roster, the 2011 team handily wins. The defense was super solid, the high end forwards were putting up monster points, and the goaltending was lights out. I think the only way that the current team may have a minor edge is in offensive depth throughout the bottom two lines, although that offensive depth may open the higher end forwards up a bit more. 

Although would be cool to see the two rosters  go head to head in a game  just for poops and giggles.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

In the Nashville series that is correct. In that series his performance was crazy good!

I'd like to give Bo the opportunity to prove me wrong.

I'd say he would take that challenge.

It's true that Kesler won a Selke but when it is all said and done I have a feeling Bo will have the more prestigious career.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, but most of the newer forwards I gave the nod to were depth guys. Most of the top 6 was a win for the older squad. Henrik, Daniel, Kesler and Burrows all in their prime trounce Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Ferland as of this moment. 

Again I simply said an argument can be made that the current fwds are not far off. And that's true. Give it a year. You and I both want to see Bo Boes And Petey close the gap this year. Right?

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Could be a thread topic. Let's see:

Petey      Henrik

Boes.      Daniel

Horvat.   Kesler

Miller.     Samuelsson

Ferland.  Burrows

Baertschi Raymond

Pearson Hansen

Sutter  Malhotra

Virtanen. Torres

Eriksson  Tambellini

Beagle.   Higgins

Leivo.    Glass

Roussel Lapierre

Edler.   Edler

Meyers. Salo

Tanev  Tanev

Hughes  Ehrhoff

Benn. Bieksa

Stecher. Rome

Markstrom. Luongo

Demko.   Schneider

In my opinion the D is not nearly as good nor is the goaltending. But an argument could be made that the forwards are not that far off. 

That's good comparison except for one huge difference, ref in 2011 were calling every penalties in book without game management and they capitalized and in 2019, ref are not going to call everything and there's game management involved and they are not going to call penalties just because of Auger indecent and I still see that they have a long grudge and it will take about another 10-15 years before the old school refs who disliked Canucks to retire.   Unless there is obvious penalties, they are not going to call in favor and call weak ones against Canucks.  That's how I see it for now.  Wait and see how they would do this season.

9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Again I simply said an argument can be made that the current fwds are not far off. And that's true. Give it a year. You and I both want to see Bo Boes And Petey close the gap this year. Right?

The current forwards would need to up their totals pretty significantly to compete with the 2011 team. The Sedins were 100 point players. Kesler was putting up 70-75 points a year. Burrows was putting up top 6 numbers while while playing both the PP and the PK. While I think it's possible that Bo nets 70 points this year, I can't see Pettersson or Boeser getting near the points that the twins were netting at this point, at least in the short term (and I don't think Boes will ever come close to Daniel's 103 points in 2010/11). If Ferland has a career year he might be able to match the 48 points Burrows put up in 2010/11, but he'll never come close to the 67 points Burrows put up the year prior.

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The current forwards would need to up their totals pretty significantly to compete with the 2011 team. The Sedins were 100 point players. Kesler was putting up 70-75 points a year. Burrows was putting up top 6 numbers while while playing both the PP and the PK. While I think it's possible that Bo nets 70 points this year, I can't see Pettersson or Boeser getting near the points that the twins were netting at this point, at least in the short term (and I don't think Boes will ever come close to Daniel's 103 points in 2010/11). If Ferland has a career year he might be able to match the 48 points Burrows put up in 2010/11, but he'll never come close to the 67 points Burrows put up the year prior.

Here we go again. The post was comparing the 2019/20 forwards vs the 2010/11 forwards since we dismissed The D and Goalies as lesser. Agreed?

Ok Daniel 104 Henrik 94 Kesler 78 Burr 48 Samuelsson 50 pts. 

2019/20 it was said that the forwards this year may not not be far off.  

Boes agreed won't touch Danny.  Petey though may not be too far off Henrik. Bo could be close to Kesler.  Ferland likely matches burr and miller likely matches Samuelsson.  So they may not on balance be that far off.  And you already gave the nod to this year's bottom six. 

Conclusion.  the post was plausible. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Here we go again. The post was comparing the 2019/20 forwards vs the 2010/11 forwards since we dismissed The D and Goalies as lesser. Agreed?

Ok Daniel 104 Henrik 94 Kesler 78 Burr 48 Samuelsson 50 pts. 

2019/20 it was said that the forwards this year may not not be far off.  

Boes agreed won't touch Danny.  Petey though may not be too far off Henrik. Bo could be close to Kesler.  Ferland likely matches burr and miller likely matches Samuelsson.  So they may not on balance be that far off.  And you already gave the nod to this year's bottom six. 

Conclusion.  the post was plausible. 

I don't think Ferland matches Burrows, and Henrik managed to put up 93 points. If Petey manages to put up 90+ points he'll likely be a contender for the Hart. While it's possible, I don't think it's likely. The Point is that nearly all of our top forwards from 2011 have a pretty significant edge over the top forwards now. I see it looking something like this...

Petey- 80 points vs Henrik- 93 points

Boeser - 70 points vs Daniel- 104 points

Horvat- 70 points vs Kesler- 73 points

Ferland-40 points vs Burrows 48 points

Miller- 50 points vs Samuelson- 50 points

= 310 points vs 368 points

That's already a significant edge towards the cup run team, and that's assuming Petey, Boeser and Horvat all have career years, and our top forwards all stay relatively healthy, which, let's face it, they likely won't. One also has to keep in mind that our defense was much more mobile then it is now, helping to bolster the forwards numbers. While our blueline should be much more mobile than it was last season, it's still not comparable to what our cup run D could provide. We ended that season with the highest GF average of any team in the league. To expect this roster to come anywhere close to that is imho setting one's expectations way too high.

1 hour ago, reyezone said:

Are you saying 2011 Kesler was better than our current version of Bo and it's not even close? 

Well we won’t know unless we make the playoffs and Bo wins a series a for us the way Kesler did in NSH ... plus he was regarded as the first or second best defensive forward in the league for three or four years....close...not yet but hopefully soon 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

2011 team won a president trophy, and then won it again 2012. Our team going into this season is hopeful to make the playoffs in one of the wild card spots. We were the best team in the league for 3 seasons from 2010 to 2012. So.......

Obviously you haven't read the discussion and just garnered the gist. But good try.