The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Given our PP went from 9th to 22nd last year (yes the Sedins gone certainly had something to do with that - same with Boeser  not playing a full season although the Sedins PP was predictable for years until they added Horvat and Boeser - you’d think Bear would get at least second PP minutes.    Leivo was used last year and despite some early returns did exactly light it up.  Bears stats are not sustainable but I’d definitely rather he got a shot.  Play Bear until he either gets injured or his stock is high enough to get an acceptable return.    Either way the team wins.   If Leivo gets the job he’s got to have a short leash - the for same Goldobin.   

For sure.  Other than Pete and JT,  Baer is the best playmaker/passer on the team.  If he stays healthy this year, the team will be in great shape 5 on 5 and PP. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

If I’m the Coach The 2  PP units would be 

#1 EP, Hughes, Boeser, Ferland and Goldobin

#2 Horvat, Miller, Elder, Myers and Gaudette.  

#1 Unit:             

Miller

Boeser  Horvat   Pettersson

Hughes

#2 Unit:

Gaudette

Pearson    Ferland        Baertchi

Edler

12 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Replace Goldy with Baer.  A healthy Baer is better in every aspect of the game vs Goldy.  

Also how plays the right point with Hughes on the left.  Ep40?  Then who plays the half wall.  

Stecher could be a good option on the PP, maybe move Myers up and add Stecher.  

Drop Gaudette for now, he will get there and move either Baer of Ferland with Bo and Miller.  

• Cheers 2

^

Power play stats from last season at 5v4 according to Natural Stat Trick

Games      Goals/60   Total Points/60     IPP         Goals    Points

Baertschi                26             2.35                 5.49             87.50           3             7

Edler                       56              1.4                   5.24             68.18           4           15

Pettersson             71             2.22                  4.45            66.67                     18

Horvat                     82            1.33                  3.77             58.62           6           17

Goldobin                 63            0.38                  3.43              60.00          1             9

Boeser                    69             1.27                  3.31             56.52           5           13

Leivo                       49             0.49                  1.46             25.00           1             3

Pearson                  80            1.83                  3.05              62.50           3            5

Ferland                   71             2.67                  4.89             61.11           6            11

Miller                       75            1.34                   6.72             62.50           4            20

Myers                      80               -                       4.71               50.0           -               7

IPP is the individual point percentage - how often does the player get a point when a PP goal is scored with him on the ice (player's points / goals).  100% would mean he got a point on every goal scored.

Baertschi's sample size is small.  Over 2 seasons he has 10 PP goals in 79 games - he was on the 2nd unit the season before with Eriksson/Gagner/Vanek. His G/60 is 3.23 and his P/60 is 5.17 with that season and an IPP of 70%.  

Pearson went through 3 teams last season but his PP career high is 7pts back in 2016/17 while averaging the 3rd most TOI among Fs on LA.   

Vancouver scored 39 goals at 5v4, Tampa 64, Carolina 40.  Winnipeg 58 but Myers averaged only just over 1min.  

The most goals scored by a D on a 5v4 PP last season was 5.  Over 2 seasons it's 10.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Those are pretty good.  Mine would be the following:

1 - Ferland Pettersson Boeser 

Hughes Myers

2 - Goldobin Horvat Miller 

Baertschi Edler

also keeps chemistry from their 5-5 lines.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Reid Boucher, Ashton Sautner and Zane McIntyre are on waivers today.

all have failed to impress in the pre season. None had a chance to make the final roster anyway though with our depth, maybe Bouch or Saut get claimed? Either way best of luck to them

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

all have failed to impress in the pre season. None had a chance to make the final roster anyway though with our depth, maybe Bouch or Saut get claimed? Either way best of luck to them

I feel bad for Reid Boucher. He is a good player and for some reason never gets a chance based on stereotype. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 5

22 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

so Big Mac, Groavac, Brisbois, Chatfield, Bachman seem like the only obvious cuts left

That's 5 of the 8 cuts we need to make.

So I would predict 3 of Goldy, Schaller, Loui, Gaudette, Leivo, Motte, Fantenberg, are the last cuts.

Gaud might get sent down as he doesn't need to clear waivers. So if he is 1 then the other 2 off that list for me is Fantenberg and Schaller. If we keep Gaud up as a Winger then Goldy is the other guy we waive

43 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

so Big Mac, Groavac, Brisbois, Chatfield, Bachman seem like the only obvious cuts left

That's 5 of the 8 cuts we need to make.

So I would predict 3 of Goldy, Schaller, Loui, Gaudette, Leivo, Motte, Fantenberg, are the last cuts.

What about Biega?

No way Goldy gets cut IMO. That 900K is a solid contract and he would surely get picked up. 

Coach loves Motte. So I don't see that happening.

Leivo had a good showing last year and plays a well rounded enough game to play a bottom 6 role. So he stays.

Schaller is 100% going down. 

Gaudette is 100% going down if we can't move Sutter.

Loui looks to have earned himself a spot in the opening lineup. 

So it's between Biega and Fantenberg as the last cut IMO. If one of them gets plucked off waivers, no biggie. Utica has a little more depth on D this year, so we should be fine. 

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

What about Biega?

No way Goldy gets cut IMO. That 900K is a solid contract and he would surely get picked up. 

Coach loves Motte. So I don't see that happening.

Leivo had a good showing last year and plays a well rounded enough game to play a bottom 6 role. So he stays.

Schaller is 100% going down. 

Gaudette is 100% going down if we can't move Sutter.

Loui looks to have earned himself a spot in the opening lineup. 

So it's between Biega and Fantenberg as the last cut IMO. If one of them gets plucked off waivers, no biggie. Utica has a little more depth on D this year, so we should be fine. 

Disagree on loui. If they can bury Gagner in the minors they can bury Eriksson. I'd rather have gags than loui any day all day.

I know it's only a savings of 1 mill, not 6 but it's better than nothing.

I'd be surprised to see it though.

• Upvote 3