The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Thomas Chabot

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

That playoffs result was an aberration and not the result of a plan.  They were terrible before it and terrible after it.

It isn’t at all comparable to our situation where we were near the top of the league for years, and then had an inevitable drop due to trading away picks while going for it.

Melnyk became the owner in around 2003. So in about 15 seasons, I believe they've made the playoffs 11 times. They may not have been successful in the playoffs, but that hardly makes them terrible. After that conference finals, they were indeed terrible and that was a result of the locker room destruction from the fallout of the Karlsson situation. Melnyk and management knew they were going to struggle after that, so they made a decision to build through the draft and save some money in the process. Rather than toiling in mediocrity, they went full rebuild. Will it be successful? I don't know, but again it's not a plan like they will run their franchise like this for the foreseeable future and there is no indication that they will (and Melnyk has been open about the plan for the fans to decide how they would like to support the team during this time).

I haven't compared our teams. I'm simply stating that there is a fanbase here that also wanted to sell off all of our vets for picks and prospects (even the Sedins) and build through the draft and weaponize cap space. This is all done by Ottawa and they are deemed as a "crappy franchise", but yet they've simply just done the extreme of what many have called for and have been criticizing us for not doing.

• Cheers 2

Small market team overpaid in cap, but avoided salary bonuses because of it. I imagine Melnyk wasn't willing to cut a 20mil signing bonus for him like some of these other kids are getting. Smart for Chabot to accept this deal too, as we all know it's a tad high this early. One 55 point season while impressive is still just one 55 point season. Ottawa heavily betting on him improving. Deal doesn't kick in til next summer so it'll be interesting to see how he does this season. Cause they have him locked up for the next decade.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Averaged less than a point a game in junior and had had one good year in the NHL and he gets a max contract for $8 million AAV?  Wow that's crazy.  Also, he didn't even play a full season last year.  Talk about a risky contract.  But then I realized it's Ottawa and Melnyk so now it makes total sense.  

He also captained the juinor team to a Silver, and was by far the best player in that tournament - a man among boys - watched the game live he was outstanding against his peer group.  OJs PPG in juniors was at best modest - well under a PPG and Chabots career so far is much better then almost any defenseman the last five years.  Ekblad, Dahlin, Provorov, Werenski and McAvoy are up there too - but what he’s managed since he joined the league is startling to say the least given the quality of players he’s got to work with.   Not saying I think he’s earned it yet because I don’t, you’d think with Ryan they’d have learned a lesson - but he’s likely their next Captain, plays tons against the best in the league and is just getting started.  And he knows how to score goals and make plays under pressure that turn into goals too.  He’s one of a few guys predicted to get over 60 points this year on defense, and will likely lead his team in scoring for the foreseeable future too.

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Melnyk became the owner in around 2003. So in about 15 seasons, I believe they've made the playoffs 11 times. They may not have been successful in the playoffs, but that hardly makes them terrible. After that conference finals, they were indeed terrible and that was a result of the locker room destruction from the fallout of the Karlsson situation. Melnyk and management knew they were going to struggle after that, so they made a decision to build through the draft and save some money in the process. Rather than toiling in mediocrity, they went full rebuild. Will it be successful? I don't know, but again it's not a plan like they will run their franchise like this for the foreseeable future and there is no indication that they will (and Melnyk has been open about the plan for the fans to decide how they would like to support the team during this time).

I haven't compared our teams. I'm simply stating that there is a fanbase here that also wanted to sell off all of our vets for picks and prospects (even the Sedins) and build through the draft and weaponize cap space. This is all done by Ottawa and they are deemed as a "crappy franchise", but yet they've simply just done the extreme of what many have called for and have been criticizing us for not doing.

OTT has secretly been one of the best drafters over the last ten years - hitting on many late round guys ... they also have one of the better prospect pools and 21 and unders before the tire fire which should help turbo boost their rebuild if their drafting keeps up.  White and Batherson are two guys that could excel, BT of course and a medley of other guys we’d be very happy to have if they were on our team.   They also stock piled an impressive number of picks by blowing it up too...even with losing last years first. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

OTT has secretly been one of the best drafters over the last ten years - hitting on many late round guys ... they also have one of the better prospect pools and 21 and unders before the tire fire which should help turbo boost their rebuild if their drafting keeps up.  White and Batherson are two guys that could excel, BT of course and a medley of other guys we’d be very happy to have if they were on our team.   They also stock piled an impressive number of picks by blowing it up too...even with losing last years first. 

Add in Formenton, Chlapik and Brannstrom too. The challenge will be if they have the vet support to get them out of the funk they're in. It's going to be hard on young players to be losing so much.

• Cheers 1

Risky move. Kid looked good last year and put up solid numbers , has been labelled a beast. Anyone remember Tyler Myers 48 point rookie year and the cliff he dropped off immediately after? I remember my buddies in I in 2009 talking this guy up. Saying he's gonna be a Norris winner one day.

No knock on Myers or Chabot but who's to say he can maintain and grow on those numbers? Stupid move to resign him to 8M after one good year. Offer sheet scared or Speculation of him being offered one?  I doubt he'd be offered much more than that anyways at which point they could've just matched or raked in picks and the Sens own his rights to begin with as he'll be an RFA.

This ownership group baffles the mind. Anyone good they trade to avoid paying and then they go and toss 64M at a kid who's yet to show consistent production. Yes he had a great great year. Key phrase there A YEAR. 

I like Chabot, Ottawa better hope he can keep it up otherwise this is gonna haunt them for the next decade.

7 hours ago, KanNuck said:

Risky move. Kid looked good last year and put up solid numbers , has been labelled a beast. Anyone remember Tyler Myers 48 point rookie year and the cliff he dropped off immediately after? I remember my buddies in I in 2009 talking this guy up. Saying he's gonna be a Norris winner one day.

No knock on Myers or Chabot but who's to say he can maintain and grow on those numbers? Stupid move to resign him to 8M after one good year. Offer sheet scared or Speculation of him being offered one?  I doubt he'd be offered much more than that anyways at which point they could've just matched or raked in picks and the Sens own his rights to begin with as he'll be an RFA.

This ownership group baffles the mind. Anyone good they trade to avoid paying and then they go and toss 64M at a kid who's yet to show consistent production. Yes he had a great great year. Key phrase there A YEAR. 

I like Chabot, Ottawa better hope he can keep it up otherwise this is gonna haunt them for the next decade.

They were/are building a new core. So they traded away all the older players on the team to get younger. Chabot is part of that future core for them and potentially team captain. It's a hefty price indeed and they are gambling on consistency for sure, but if he continues to trend up, perhaps he could be a bargain within those 8 years. It's the same mindset of many here wanting to sign Boeser here long term (eg 7x7) because they feel it's better to lock him in long term before he becomes a 10 million dollar player or whatever. There's no doubt that Chabot is their #1 dman at this point (and will be played as such), so when top 4 guys are getting around 6 million, it doesn't look that bad. Worst case is he's a top 4 guy only and he's overpaid by a couple million, but the market will continue to rise and he simply levels off in the 8 years. Best case scenario is he becomes elite and 8 million is a bargain.

The message being sent here is that they will become competitive at some point and they want to lock in their key players. Future young players on the team should take note.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

They were/are building a new core. So they traded away all the older players on the team to get younger. Chabot is part of that future core for them and potentially team captain. It's a hefty price indeed and they are gambling on consistency for sure, but if he continues to trend up, perhaps he could be a bargain within those 8 years. It's the same mindset of many here wanting to sign Boeser here long term (eg 7x7) because they feel it's better to lock him in long term before he becomes a 10 million dollar player or whatever. There's no doubt that Chabot is their #1 dman at this point (and will be played as such), so when top 4 guys are getting around 6 million, it doesn't look that bad. Worst case is he's a top 4 guy only and he's overpaid by a couple million, but the market will continue to rise and he simply levels off in the 8 years. Best case scenario is he becomes elite and 8 million is a bargain.

The message being sent here is that they will become competitive at some point and they want to lock in their key players. Future young players on the team should take note.

I like your take on that. It will pan out either way I am just not fully convinced yet. I am a fan and like Chabot as a player.

I think he is the real thing that being said I would've waited until at least January to see and if that caused any distractions, perhaps wait until the end of the season. 

I do agree though as the cap rises it will at worst be a reasonable deal and seeing it that way isn't as bad, it's not as if he will be even close to the age of slowing down. I'm just not sure if he is a perennial 50+ point dman tho. But touche.

Worst case scenario he's a million or two overpaid but he is in Ottawa long term.... Not exactly the most desirable market.

Edited by KanNuck
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

I like your take on that. It will pan out either way I am just not fully convinced yet. I am a fan and like Chabot as a player.

I think he is the real thing that being said I would've waited until at least January to see and if that caused any distractions, perhaps wait until the end of the season. 

I do agree though as the cap rises it will at worst be a reasonable deal and seeing it that way isn't as bad, it's not as if he will be even close to the age of slowing down. I'm just not sure if he is a perennial 50+ point dman tho. But touche.

Worst case scenario he's a million or two overpaid but he is in Ottawa long term.... Not exactly the most desirable market.

I don't expect Ottawa to be competing this year, but I guess they will play the underdogs all season and try and surprise people. I think they want to see if their young guys can perform and their (Melnyk's) plan is to spend closer to the cap by the 2021 season.

I can see the point in waiting, but then contract talks could also stall like many of the RFAs of late. They committed to a core player and he's committing to the team. Hopefully he doesn't coast now that he's got his big contract, but barring a major decline, he would still be very tradable without any clauses and being so young and has at least shown a 50+ season. It'll depend on the team whether he can keep up the 50 point pace because they lost several top guys from last season that contributed to most of their offense, but Chabot is now technically their highest point producer. I think he has no problem being a 50+ point guy with good players and they are building a young group that can grow into that.

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I don't expect Ottawa to be competing this year, but I guess they will play the underdogs all season and try and surprise people. I think they want to see if their young guys can perform and their (Melnyk's) plan is to spend closer to the cap by the 2021 season.

I can see the point in waiting, but then contract talks could also stall like many of the RFAs of late. They committed to a core player and he's committing to the team. Hopefully he doesn't coast now that he's got his big contract, but barring a major decline, he would still be very tradable without any clauses and being so young and has at least shown a 50+ season. It'll depend on the team whether he can keep up the 50 point pace because they lost several top guys from last season that contributed to most of their offense, but Chabot is now technically their highest point producer. I think he has no problem being a 50+ point guy with good players and they are building a young group that can grow into that.

And the incredible thing is he did that with not much in the way to work with - and when he was injured came back and went right back to where he left off.   White and BT as rookies and Bobby Ryan aren’t much to work with - wonder how’d he’d do in TB or CAL  or even another team like Buffalo.  It was his second year - but even his rookie year with limited games he was productive.   Don’t think OTT will come to regret this at all, it’s what all GMs want right now (to lock their future stars in for as long as possible) - there is risks involved as sometimes players don’t turn into what you expect, but considering his pedigree this one’s pretty small.   In four years when they will be competing with their next core this deal will be a team friendly one, and if he can squeeze 60 plus point seasons out of mud (that’s what an entire year projects over last year) before that it won’t be that bad either - after all that puts him in elite company.   And he’s playing against the best night in night out and without much support at all...again wonder what he could do on a team like ours even...70 points?  What about TB? 

Edited by IBatch