The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syria vs Turkey vs Kurds escalation

kurtis

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Betraying your allies and sentencing them to death and not even bringing the troops home. :sick:

Let's be honest Russia controls Syria and certainly Turkey doesn't want a conflict with Russia. I mean there is proof of that, remember after Turkey's cheap shot Russia set up s400 systems essentially grounding Turkey's air force. So what is Russias position on a conflict between the kurds and Turkey? Syrian troops were invited back so I assume if Turkey used force against them Russia would respond. So what is Russias position? Or is it unclear atm?

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's be honest Russia controls Syria and certainly Turkey doesn't want a conflict with Russia. I mean there is proof of that, remember after Turkey's cheap shot Russia set up s400 systems essentially grounding Turkey's air force. So what is Russias position on a conflict between the kurds and Turkey? Syrian troops were invited back so I assume if Turkey used force against them Russia would respond. So what is Russias position? Or is it unclear atm?

I don't think Russia gives a rat's ass about the Kurds. So if all they have to do to keep Turkey happy and at bay is let them wipe out the Kurds and annex 20km of northern Syria to resettle the 2 million (approx) Syrian refugees who have entered Turkey, I don't see why they wouldn't agree to that.

Then everyone gets what they want and are happy. Except of course the Kurds who are dead.

52 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I don't think Russia gives a rat's ass about the Kurds. So if all they have to do to keep Turkey happy and at bay is let them wipe out the Kurds and annex 20km of northern Syria to resettle the 2 million (approx) Syrian refugees who have entered Turkey, I don't see why they wouldn't agree to that.

Then everyone gets what they want and are happy. Except of course the Kurds who are dead.

Why would Russia be concerned with keeping them happy?

51 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why would Russia be concerned with keeping them happy?

Offer them a small token that means little to them (The Kurds and a small piece of Northern Syria) in exchange Turkey keeps out of their hair while they run rough shot over the rest of the country/region. Basically offer them a couple of pawns in order to keep the queen. To put it in chess terms.

Plus if they are kind of friendly with Turkey that weakens the alliance between Turkey and the rest of NATO.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Offer them a small token that means little to them (The Kurds and a small piece of Northern Syria) in exchange Turkey keeps out of their hair while they run rough shot over the rest of the country/region. Basically offer them a couple of pawns in order to keep the queen. To put it in chess terms.

Plus if they are kind of friendly with Turkey that weakens the alliance between Turkey and the rest of NATO.

Actually I bet that is exactly it. Putin probably loves the US threatening to destroy Turkeys economy. 

37 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually I bet that is exactly it. Putin probably loves the US threatening to destroy Turkeys economy. 

In reality the US on their own can do little to Turkey's economy. They just don't do much trade between each other. Turkey doesn't give a crap about tariffs on steel or sanctions.

For the US to have any real affect they would have to arm twist other nations to join them and they have squandered practically all their good will with other nations.

For all the talk of 3D chess. It's Vlad who is playing 3D chess. Trump is finger painting.

21 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

In reality the US on their own can do little to Turkey's economy. They just don't do much trade between each other. Turkey doesn't give a crap about tariffs on steel or sanctions.

For the US to have any real affect they would have to arm twist other nations to join them and they have squandered practically all their good will with other nations.

For all the talk of 3D chess. It's Vlad who is playing 3D chess. Trump is finger painting.

Ya I have said that repeatedly. I was just wondering Putins position on this Syria/turkey, kurd situation but I think you're absolutely correct. Putin loves to see division between nato partners, I also think now based on what you sold me on is the kurds are likely pawns in his chess game. I will be honest I did wonder right away why didn't he stand up right away and tell Turkey stand down or else but now I totally think you are 100% correct.

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's pretty much evident that Turkey isn't a friend of the EU or the US.  

As bad as it is for Trump to help facilitate the divide with Turkey... it's been a long time coming.  

If anything, the EU should have done more to integrate Turkey prior to having a borderline religious regime to come into power.  

18 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Turkey and Russia are big time rivals in the region too. Many of Russia's access points to the middle east also go directly through Turkey. I don't see Russia giving Turkey any land in Syria. 

On 10/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, taxi said:

Turkey and Russia are big time rivals in the region too. Many of Russia's access points to the middle east also go directly through Turkey. I don't see Russia giving Turkey any land in Syria. 

They didn't. 

Putin the peace maker solved everything. 

This is all one big strategic plan and love him or hate him but Putin is probably the smartest leader in the world when it comes to long term strategic planning against the Americans.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

They didn't. 

Putin the peace maker solved everything. 

This is all one big strategic plan and love him or hate him but Putin is probably the smartest leader in the world when it comes to long term strategic planning against the Americans.

Putin, unlike the Americans, doesn't have to worry about pesky things like a free media or human rights. 

I agree that Putin is in the power seat here though. His goal is to keep Assad in power throughout the entirety of Syria. 

A democratic, and potentially Western friendly, Kurdish state doesn't stand a chance - unless Putin sees them as means to taking down another rival.

6 hours ago, taxi said:

Putin, unlike the Americans, doesn't have to worry about pesky things like a free media or human rights. 

I agree that Putin is in the power seat here though. His goal is to keep Assad in power throughout the entirety of Syria. 

A democratic, and potentially Western friendly, Kurdish state doesn't stand a chance - unless Putin sees them as means to taking down another rival.

I wasn't taking a position nor does it have anything to do with media it just always seems Putin is 5 steps ahead on many matters. Ukraine, Georgia, Syria, sanctions on his country, etc. It just seems he or the KGB or w/e always have everything pre planned. @CBH1926 is probably the most knowledgeable on Russian/Soviet affairs. Would like his response to how I view Putin.

8 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I wasn't taking a position nor does it have anything to do with media it just always seems Putin is 5 steps ahead on many matters. Ukraine, Georgia, Syria, sanctions on his country, etc. It just seems he or the KGB or w/e always have everything pre planned. @CBH1926 is probably the most knowledgeable on Russian/Soviet affairs. Would like his response to how I view Putin.

VP is shrewd imo, being former KGB member he is also ruthless.

Granted he does not have to worry about human rights or opposition as much as his western counterparts.

There are those in Russia that still yearn for days when Soviets were real superpower.

Gorby was viewed as a sellout and Yeltsin was a drunk, Putin is the strongest leader they had in a while.

Annexation of Crimea, victory against Georgia and now Syria have bolstered his image.

Just yesterday Russians brought in S400 and Pantsir to Serbia for military exercises.

Its an attempt to show force to neighboring NATO members.

There is lot of grandstanding by VP as well, all this talk about unbeatable weapons etc.

His appeal is to those that have been ruled by the iron fist.

People that prefer their leaders to be tough macho guys that are not afraid to get their hands dirty.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

VP is shrewd imo, being former KGB member he is also ruthless.

Granted he does not have to worry about human rights or opposition as much as his western counterparts.

There are those in Russia that still yearn for days when Soviets were real superpower.

Gorby was viewed as a sellout and Yeltsin was a drunk, Putin is the strongest leader they had in a while.

Annexation of Crimea, victory against Georgia and now Syria have bolstered his image.

Just yesterday Russians brought in S400 and Pantsir to Serbia for military exercises.

Its an attempt to show force to neighboring NATO members.

There is lot of grandstanding by VP as well, all this talk about unbeatable weapons etc.

His appeal is to those that have been ruled by the iron fist.

People that prefer their leaders to be tough macho guys that are not afraid to get their hands dirty.

I'm watching a documentary on Putin on you tube written by US filmmaker. Putins Revenge, he played Yeltsin like a fiddle and they point out the simplest things he does is to portray strength to his people and world leaders. As simple as how he sits during meetings. Pretty good so far. Will watch part 2 of it later.

Edited by Ryan Strome

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm watching a documentary on Putin on you tube written by US filmmaker. Putins Revenge, he played Yeltsin like a fiddle and they point out the simplest things he does is to portray strength to his people and world leaders. As simple as how he sits during meetings. Pretty good so far. Will watch part 2 of it later.

Poutine also even has to outdo Al Bundy.   Bundy once scored four touchdowns in one game for Polk high.....Poutine scored EIGHT goals in one hockey game.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Poutine also even has to outdo Al Bundy.   Bundy once scored four touchdowns in one game for Polk high.....Poutine scored EIGHT goals in one hockey game.

I saw the highlights of both games.... Both men are legendary when it comes to the playing of sports.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I saw the highlights of both games.... Both men are legendary when it comes to the playing of sports.  

Can't we all agree Married with Children was the best show ever, well maybe second after Dukes of Hazzard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1