The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

EKL Fantasy Keeper League 2019-20 season

Primal Optimist

A question has come up regarding the "what if" scenario of a club re-acquiring a player they are retaining salary on from a trade earlier in the history of that players contract.

I will have yet another rule to re-word (while keeping the original spirit and intent) as it doesn't speak too much about the mechanics of the system it describes. 

3.4.1 - Salary Retention in Trades

Teams may retain salary on up to 4 contracts at any given time. The maximum amount a team can retain on a single contract is 50% of its AAV. Players cannot have more than two teams retaining salary on their contracts at the same time.

I know that we are already, from a previous commissioner's ruling, consider both retentions and reductions in the total of 4 per team.

I therefore have ruled the interpretation of "4 contracts at one time" to mean that in such a situation: it is is just ONE contract.

Further: since it is just one instance, the two lines should not exist on the same team sheet and will cancel each other out. 

In such a situation, both lines would be deleted from the team sheet at the time the trade is processed, removing the retention and the reduction at the same time.

It shouldn't mean much to any club as it seems like it would be rare, if we ever see it at all.

One Caveat: I will be adding the NHL part of the rule that is currently missing that restricts re-acquiring a player you are retaining salary on for one full year. 

ERGO: if you retained on a deal Jan 4th 2019, you can't re-acquire that player until Jan 5th 2020. This is the limiting factor that makes it almost impossible for this to happen. 

Lastly: retention rule will change in the offseason to limit retentions at 2 years maximum. My logic is two fold on this: firstly future GM's should not be unduly limited by the actions of a GM 3 years before the current one joined the league, and also because of this post and the decisions made in it: I don't want to open up an exploit that the league will regret in later years. 

It will look something like this: 

3.4.1 - Salary Retention in Trades

Teams may retain salary or have reduced salary which another club has retained on up to 4 contracts at any given time. The maximum retained amount on a single contract is 50% of its AAV, for no more than two seasons.  Players cannot have more than two teams retaining salary on their contracts at the same time. Any club who retains salary on a players contract may not re-acquire that player for one full year from the date of the retention trade. If a player is re-acquired by a team who is retaining salary on the same player, a year or more after the original trade, the retention and reduction is wiped out at the time the trade is processed.

Thanks for reading. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Lastly: retention rule will change in the offseason to limit retentions at 2 years maximum. My logic is two fold on this: firstly future GM's should not be unduly limited by the actions of a GM 3 years before the current one joined the league, and also because of this post and the decisions made in it: I don't want to open up an exploit that the league will regret in later years. 

This is a great idea, Primal. Same reason why the leagues don't allow a GM to trade picks beyond this year and next.

• Thanks 1

League Standings!

Two days behind on this update: as it affects waiver priority, I heartily apologize and blame politics for eating up too much of my attention. lol it shouldn't have a negative effect. 

Changes in the East: Boston moves ahead of Buffalo...Washington jumped the Islanders...

Changes in the West Standings: Vancouver jumps Arizona dropping the Yotes out of the wildcard spots and into the stink hole. Colorado Leapfrogged Edmonton

All in all I am happy to see that the top four clubs are from all four Divisions.

Metro Division ~ ~ ~ Atlantic Division  ...

small.png 1908.5 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ small.png 1919.5

small.png 1583.5 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ small.png 1555

small.png 1397 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ small.png 1302

small.png 1492

small.png 1404.5

---------------------

small.png 1385.5

small.png 1371.5

small.png 1334.5

small.png 1263.5

small.png 1154

small.png 1099.5

small.png 1073.5

small.png 948.5

Central Division ~ ~ ~ Pacific Division

small.png 1961.5 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ small.png 1962.5

small.png 1789 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ small.png 1787

small.png 1784.5 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ small.png 1583.5

small.png 1743.5

small.png 1612.5

--------------------

small.png 1564

small.png 1481

small.png 1477.5

small.png 1458

small.png 1416.5

small.png 1403

small.png 1342.5

ALSO some news: the GM who was waiting to take over CBJ has declined due to growing used to the club he took in the interim. 

As CBJ is our last VACANT club I expect to fill that GM spot within the next few days so that we can finally get on with things. 

Kinda shocking to see us so close to a playoff spot... maybe with Williams coming back soon we can do some damage. Need Murray to actually play and win a game in this century.

Also, in PROTEST, during our appeal of the CBA and agents ruling, we will SHUN anyone who doesn’t ask or contact player agents first, before discussing trade talks with us (if the have NTC/NMC).

D88F84B7-4274-4769-8548-281D9DEFAC95.jpeg.ffab153cbba9ee57a4da1d5680fbcbcd.jpeg

22 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Also, in PROTEST, during our appeal of the CBA and agents ruling, we will SHUN anyone who doesn’t ask or contact player agents first, before discussing trade talks with us (if the have NTC/NMC).

Related image

Being as I can't bear to watch you wither away to nothing, AND because the appeal board has registered a verdict, I am happy to give you two thumbs up. You have won your appeal.

In Brief: Art Vandelay, on a break from his importing and exporting business, while wearing a sleek grey suite and coifered 'doo of a swanky big city slam, errr big city lawyer I mean, pointed out what I can only call an oxymoron in the CBA. The larger issue is important but the specifics were centered around a chance to trade a player with a full NTC (*and thus a three team trade list)

The player has a full NTC that stops this year and a M-NTC kicks in next year, but it is written on the team sheet very poorly leading to a misunderstanding that the player had no clause this year, that is it in a nutshell, but it exposed a wider issue which has won this specific instance his appeal. To whit:

On appeal to an independant, respectable Fantasy Hockey personality here on the CDC forums: I was mistaken. In fact the rule in the CBA that I was using was mistaken because it is a bit of a double negative the way it is worded. This is the problem parts which will be fixed pronto

The GM acquiring the said player should also have 2-3 good reasons as to why they should join their club. Please also be sure to inquire with the agent before discussing a deal with a player who has a clause. If the agent is not contacted and a deal is made and sent in to the trackers, the player will likely reject the deal (Unless it is one of his 3 teams)

Most readers would probably notice that the rule instructs GM's to both NOT talk about a trade with another GM for a player that doesn't have that other team on his list until the first GM gets it sorted by asking the player to waive his clause for some reasons that must also be provided... 

..then the same rule says the other potential recieving GM ought to also give some good reasons to the agent...

And that is pretty simply impossible to follow both parts of the one rule. If you can't talk to another GM about a player waiving to go there, before talking to the agent, then the other GM can't possibly also put in a good word to the agent. 

I will fix this by Monday and present a new wording, and even now reading this back, I know that I am missing it a tick..which just proves that YES it is totally confusing even to me right now. 

Before anyone gets any bright ideas: Now the situation is found and is being fixed, this is the only one I was made aware of prior to this post and so it is the only one being accommodated. I expect every team will be completely done by mid to end February, but striving for most to be done by end Jan. If you think there is a clause or should be a clause on a player your thinking about moving: send me a message as step one and I will confirm on a case by case basis. thanks. 

To be blunt, this is nothing that can be exploited :ph34r:

This is part of what I have been trying to fix by going over the team sheets and correcting the errors in every cell on the sheet as I go. It is slow work but worth it when its over. Thanks for your patience yet again.

EDIT: LOL i actually said "in brief" near the top again, sorry. wall of text crits you for 100 health. 

what is really funny is that section of the CBA is the longest section of the whole thing and somehow didn't quite hit the mark. A very good attempt and the spirit of what it was trying to say will be maintained in new simpler language. Yes i will try simpler as a new years resolution...look for me to write less. your welcome.

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

To @D-Money @Monty small.png : Alex Killorn

To @Art Vandelay small.png : Mathieu Joseph, MIN 3rd 2021

Logged, PIckup will show this trade tomorrow morning, as I will do a full update this evening. 

Thanks to @Art Vandelay for the negotiations, and @Primal Optimist for processing.

Both Monty and I really like Joseph, and a year ago we wouldn’t have done this trade. But with Joseph struggling in his sophomore season, and sent to the minors, we were kind of stuck - EKL’s more stringent waiver rules prevented us from sending him down too.

Killorn is also a favourite of ours, and on a really nice roll lately. This helps us continue to battle for 1st overall, while still having 2 Tampa players for the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

EKL’s more stringent waiver rules prevented us from sending him down too.

; )

Happy to hear it! A few little things in our rules are very cool and help set EKL apart from other leagues. I enjoy that we have slightly tilted the playing field in favour of tough decisions with things like RFA qualifying and waiver rules. Adds a little more skill to deciding which kids to keep, rather than just hoarding all the kids. Even our ELC salary chart tends to increase the price of the young fellas. 

Working as intended, IMO> lol

i have some offers in for some players  but i m nor sure to make those deals . one thing are cap issues , other thing are player values.

its just brutal to work with most those  overpaid contracts on the oilers roster  and it will be worse if it comes to re-signings from some players who will defintely have more money if i want to re-sign them.  i guess i ll wait til lthe deadline with deals.

shattenkirk will be defintely on the block ...but he will not be cheap ...a cheaper 2nd pairing  defender and picks should be on the table. 

i ll go thru my roster and post which players could be OTB at the deadline 

• Upvote 1

Waivers: The Arizona Coyotes waive Markus Granlund for the purpose of assignment to the minor league.

Recall: The Arizona Coyotes recall Yakov Trenin from the minors. 

IR: Jake Muzzin placed on IR as well. 

Activation: lastly we will activate Nikita Zaitsev from IR. 

So we won 4 out of 5 games last Thursday: winning 41 chips from our 26 chip wager, carry forward is 189. Posting early to help get your picks in before nine AM thursday to count! (just say your guess for who wins each game in the thread)

Fantasy Five! for January 9th 2020

Jets VS Bruins

Oilers VS Canadiens

Canucks VS Panthers

Wild VS Flames
Blue Jackets VS Sharks

Also: as of now, a full update will be done that will reflect on sheets and pickup in the morning. Anything after this update will be done in two days time. 

image.jpeg.3d3c84240aaa35005002e93fedb00d38.jpeg

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

So we won 4 out of 5 games last Thursday: winning 41 chips from our 26 chip wager, carry forward is 189. Posting early to help get your picks in before nine AM thursday to count! (just say your guess for who wins each game in the thread)

Fantasy Five! for January 9th 2020

Jets VS Bruins

Oilers VS Canadiens

Canucks VS Panthers

Wild VS Flames
Blue Jackets VS Sharks

So, in 22knd in EKL?

I believe we are still clinging to the 2knd Eastern Wild card?  @Primal Optimist  That is a good outcome, As a rebuilding club, here is better news from our WJC performers;

Calen Addison 9 points,           9th in tourney scoring as a D man & Gold medal winner

Grigori Denisenko 9 points,        Team Captain in his 2knd tourney 6th overall in scoring & Silver medal winner. Leading scorer at last years event!

Trevor Zegras 9 points,               10th in scoring  >> And looking as the most dangerous & skilled of our prospects!

David Gustafsson, 4 points          A Bronze medal winner

Ivan Morozov  3 Points                A silver medal, his second tourney

Tobias Bjornfot 0 points                LOL, Team Sweden has better D Depth than the LA Kings!

Jakob Lauko  0 points                   Tourney ending injury his first shift?  :huh: 

Ty Smith  3 points                         Assistant Captain & a Gold medal in his 2knd tourney

37 points representing 6 countries, three top ten scorers for our results! Better times are coming for team Florida! 

• Upvote 1

Wild World Juniors

Minnesota had 5 prospects in the WJC's. None of them knocked the door down, but it was still encouraging seeing so many of our prospects taking part at the tournament:

Alex Turcotte - Had 2 assists in 5 games played for Team USA. Perhaps he'll play more of a key role next year, as he'll still be eligible.

John Beecher - Played more of a defensive role for USA, and didn't register a scorer-point. Somewhat disappointing, but he'll still be eligible next year as well.

Matias Maccelli - Assistant captain of the Team Finland, and had a solid tournament, with 5 points in 7 games.

Mattias Norlinder - Didn't register a point, but was solid defensively for all 7 games for Team Sweden, without taking a penalty.

Albin Eriksson - Had a depth role for Sweden, 1 point in 7 games.

Congrats to Norlinder and Eriksson on winning Bronze!

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1