The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Wild, February 6 2020 - 5:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

therodigy

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Alf, I think you need to post more modern day videos to prove your point. Nobody can play like that anymore. There fines and suspensions. Even legal issues If you use your stick like a mad man

How does Marchand protect himself?  Guys do use their sticks, their elbows, and dirty play to protect themselves.  Petey needs to protect himself.  I would cheer happily seeing Petey carve a guy, and be just fine with him taking a suspension for it.  I think JB should hire a fencing coach.  (Okay, that parts a joke) 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How does Marchand protect himself?  Guys do use their sticks, their elbows, and dirty play to protect themselves.  Petey needs to protect himself.  I would cheer happily seeing Petey carve a guy, and be just fine with him taking a suspension for it.  I think JB should hire a fencing coach.  (Okay, that parts a joke) 

Cheers man. Like I said I love your passion 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

he did?

Not sure what your problem with Brock is, but it's unwarranted.

For someone SO high on Jake and quick to defend him, you do know Brock performs better than him overall?  Love them both, but it's kind of unfair how you've "decided" that Brock is an issue while issuing Jake a pass.  Brock's game is changing (like Petey's) and they're doing a whole lot of things away from the play and in battling for the puck that don't scream superstar but do scream team guy(s).

Ever see him complaining?  Me either.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

• Like 1

My dirty dream for the playoffs 

Byfuglien is bought out and signs for the remaining season with Canucks 

Tryamkin is brought back aswell

Anderson acquired from Columbus 

Miller Pettersson Virtanen 

Pearson Horvat Boeser 

Ferland Gaudette Anderson

Roussell Beagle Sutter**

Motte Schaller Eriksson Leivo

Hughes Byfuglien 

Edler Myers 

Tryamkin Stecher 

Ben Fantenberg 

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Sutter/leivo swap
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure what your problem with Brock is, but it's unwarranted.

For someone SO high on Jake and quick to defend him, you do know Brock performs better than him overall?  Love them both, but it's kind of unfair how you've "decided" that Brock is an issue.  His game is changing (like Petey's) but they're doing a whole lot of things away from the play and in battling for the puck that don't scream superstar but do scream team guy.

i think he either likes to rattle the chains of some of the posters that like BB or he has a genuine dislike for the kid.  Jake can go weeks MIA , carrying on year after year like that, yet you dont see even a fraction of the same criticism from him.  Its fine, some people have their pet players, but i dont think its an objective perspective he is putting forth.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

"leadership".  Glad New York won through all that.

Of course we hate Messier.  He lead teams to how many Cups though?  Petey is a phenom, but imagine him with a vicious stick.  He’d be even more impactful.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course we hate Messier.  He lead teams to how many Cups though?  Petey is a phenom, but imagine him with a vicious stick.  He’d be even more impactful.  

Give it another year or so and we'll see Petey throw down with someone deserving.:emot-parrot:

Edited by GhostsOf1994
The parrot is Petey bobbing and weaving!
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

There is a cognitive dissonance between what is perceived to be honorable play by the players and fans and then there is the names that go down in the halls of glory who did whatever it took to win. Hockey's roots were a surrogate to war for our culture and it is something that the league seems reluctant to let go of. It comes down to players wanting to win at all costs vs wanting a safe work environment. Sidney Crosby slashing Mark Methot's finger tip off may be the best example for the type of violence that you are advocating for with regards to EP40. 

Additionally, Messier may have been one of the dirtiest players ever with his elbows. Criminal really.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, reyezone said:

There is a cognitive dissonance between what is perceived to be honorable play by the players and fans and then there is the names that go down in the halls of glory who did whatever it took to win. Hockey's roots were a surrogate to war for our culture and it is something that the league seems reluctant to let go of. It comes down to players wanting to win at all costs vs wanting a safe work environment. Sidney Crosby slashing Mark Methot's finger tip off may be the best example for the type of violence that you are advocating for with regards to EP40. 

Additionally, Messier may have been one of the dirtiest players ever with his elbows. Criminal really.

I just don’t to see guys taking runs at Petey.  It’s like with the league rules now guys have to become vicious to protect themselves.  I’d like Petey to build a reputation that he will carve a guy who comes at him.  It’s not nice, but it’s best fir his career.  

• Like 1