The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alternative NHL Locations if Season Resumes

Rate this topic

I read that the NBA is looking into playing out their season at Walt Disney World.  Seems like that would be a great location for the backdrop of games (without fans).

I started thinking about possible sites for the NHL to play if the season resumes.

Instead of playing in an empty stadium, where would you like to see hockey games played?

It would be incredible to have games played on a mountaintop glacier or frozen lake (if there are any at this time of year).  

Lake Louise looks fantastic in the winter and I’m sure the hotels could use the business of the NHL.  Similar to the Outdoor Classics, you could play the games outside.  The camera shots would be incredible (especially from above with drones) and I think it would be way more interesting than playing games inside an empty stadium.  

Without having to play for the fans in a home stadium, the location could really open up and grab the attention of fans worldwide!  image.jpeg.101e2037e8480bda77e4db119e35422d.jpeg

The ice surface won’t require the protective measures for the fans (netting/glass) which could really free up the location as well.  Still need the boards, but maybe use plexiglass to open up the viewing angles?  

What would be some other interesting locations?

Times Square (if you could keep the streets closed)

Central Park

Stanley Park

There could be some interesting marketing opportunities with some incredible backdrops, especially while the world waits for live events to restart.

If there's not going to be fans, and all you need is an NHL size ice surface, with some other amenities,  why not play games at locations where communities have been hit hard by various events such as Fort McMurray or Portapique? Sure fans won't directly benefit by watching,  but it would still bring a financial boost to the community and offer something positive for those places to focus on.  Just a thought. 

• Cheers 1

I remember reading somewhere that even though there won't be any fans in attendance. The arena itself still has to be up to NHL standards. The locker rooms, broadcast booth and equipment, etc. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I read that the NBA is looking into playing out their season at Walt Disney World.  Seems like that would be a great location for the backdrop of games (without fans).

I started thinking about possible sites for the NHL to play if the season resumes.

Instead of playing in an empty stadium, where would you like to see hockey games played?

It would be incredible to have games played on a mountaintop glacier or frozen lake (if there are any at this time of year).  

Lake Louise looks fantastic in the winter and I’m sure the hotels could use the business of the NHL.  Similar to the Outdoor Classics, you could play the games outside.  The camera shots would be incredible (especially from above with drones) and I think it would be way more interesting than playing games inside an empty stadium.  

Without having to play for the fans in a home stadium, the location could really open up and grab the attention of fans worldwide!  image.jpeg.101e2037e8480bda77e4db119e35422d.jpeg

The ice surface won’t require the protective measures for the fans (netting/glass) which could really free up the location as well.  Still need the boards, but maybe use plexiglass to open up the viewing angles?  

What would be some other interesting locations?

Times Square (if you could keep the streets closed)

Central Park

Stanley Park

There could be some interesting marketing opportunities with some incredible backdrops, especially while the world waits for live events to restart.

your top 2 picks are in a city thats had 20000 dead in a month?

On 5/2/2020 at 8:34 AM, qwijibo said:

it’s not just a case of needing an ice surface.
You need high end hotels for the teams and staff

you need nhl caliber buildings for broadcast

you need proper practice facilities 

Yep it’s actually going to be a very short list that ends up checking off all the boxes.

The hotels and practice facilities are a big one and then you have to factor in provincial/state laws at the time and whether or not the NBA will also be using the building.

I would think that when all is said and done no more than 4 will be deemed acceptable.

• Upvote 1

Regina hosted the world juniors a few years ago. They have 2 quality rinks (U of R Cougars and Pats play/practice at) and a bunch of other rinks that could be practiced at all in the same building with a hospital a stones throw away.

Edited by Capajoe
Spelling