The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Cuthbert joins Sportsnet’s NHL broadcast team

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

For a positive guy you've got a lot of pent up rage. 

Lol I really do man... I can't help it when it comes to certain subjects that I'm extremely passionate about. I'm super peaceful and calm in other aspects of my life - much better than younger Apollo :P

But still certain subjects still make my blood boil and trigger me. I love my hockey and I think Rogers/Sportsnet ruined coverage for every single Canadian not living in Toronto. Canucks fans, Oilers, Flames, Sens, Jets, all get inferior coverage versus what we had before Rogers locked up the NHL TV deal and monopolized it in Canada.

All these fan bases used to have pregame and post game coverage. Many of those hosts, including icons like Don Taylor lost their jobs too...  They ruined hockey coverage for anyone that's not a Leaf fan in Canada and that's a fact. We don't want to see them switch to a studio in Tarana that's talking about pretty much everything other than the Canucks game in hand :P

Aside from that I've heard 1000s of terrible customer service experience from Rogers customers. They've been hitting people up with price increases weeks into the COVID lockdown.... myself included. IDC I respectfully told the girl I was dealing with that she was extremely respectful and helped me answer questions - and that it's not her fault her CEO's have 0 morals.

I think it's a gutless move to do that to people that have lost jobs and are in uncertainty... just the principle... it's not like it bankrupted me. I switched to Telus and I now have 5GB instead of the 10GB I had... which was excessive anyways, I use 3GB most months. Saving a little more now.

This goes for ICBC as well. I don't think it's right what they've done - I don't think it's right for good Canadians to be bent over by monopoly's or oligopoly's... Canadians deserve choice.

Anyways... end rant! Glad Cuthbert is going to be back on TV. If we get a Cuthbert / Garret duo for Canucks games I'd forgive Rogers... but still wouldn't respect their principles and morales :P

On 6/5/2020 at 11:12 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, that was a great call:

“Debris on the ice and 15 seconds left. Iginla has the stick knocked out of his hand and he falls at centre. Naslund dashing in. 10 seconds left! Markus Naslund to the net. Stopped...scores! Scores! Matt Cooke cashes in! 5.7 seconds left! And they’re still alive!”

Brendan Morrison’s Game 6, 3OT goal was also a memorable one:

“Brendan Morrison! A silencer! And we will have game seven!” 

Yeah like his voice cracks are legendary. Would take Mark Lee back over Dave Randorf he just sucks.

Interesting Cuthbert got out of TSN after so long maybe he got tired of doing CFL only and only getting some select games in the US like Gord Miller does.

Doc Emrick is still #1 for me right now that guy understands his target market being casual American hockey bandwagoners so he makes sure to bring that excitment. Hughson has fallen off and Shorthouse is alright but you get tired of listening to him after a full season and then playoffs too potentially.

Now if only TSN was allowed to simulcast the American feed/NHL network channel of the first round of the NHL draft in Canada again.

Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, Pierre McGuire etc are a much better group when it comes to prospect knowledge than whatever smucks Sportsnet  puts on their panel.

A junior hockey guy being their draft expert in Sam Cosentino seems a little amateur to me since most people I feel don't really follow junior hockey the way that they follow college basketball and football down in the states.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:34 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yes Ran-barf is hard on the ears. Louie DeBrusk on the other hand, does nice, balanced colour comm. Has he worked with CC? Could be a decent tandem going fwd.

Yeah I could see that happening his old partner Kelly Hrudey is a Flames guy now stuck with Ricks Balls to the wall.

Cuthbert in the past at CBC always got the late west coast pacific prime assignments.

But don't Sportsnet just stick with the local broadcast teams at the very least for the play in rounds since almost all Canadian teams are involved still besides Ottawa?

Hughson has the Leafs so I could see Cuthbert doing a Western series or even Eastern series with Bob Cole out of the picture as the #2 Lead national play by play guy behind Jim Hughson.

Maybe an all American series between two top teams with Louie Debrusk thinking the Bruins with the connection of Jake Debrusk being Louie's son on the Bruins.

• Upvote 1

My opinion is that Jim Hughson & Chris Cuthbert will be 1A/1B and Craig simpson remains the #1 colour guy, debrusk #2. I very much see a scenario where Chris & Jim switch between the leafs and the late night prime CBC Game. But I can tell you that there is probably very little chance they will call games that are not broadcast on CBC, so we will once again hear either Chris or Jim. My bet is we will hear more Jim than Chris in my opinion, but it'll be nice to have two solid and arguably top 2 guys in the business calling our games again! It's been a few years of Randorf & Shorthouse.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, 250Integra said:

Yes! awesome news. Probably my favourite play-by-play commentator other than John Shorthouse.

1) Jim Hughson

2) John Shorthouse

3) Gord Miller

the guy who wasn't too bad, but he's defintely better than Batch, was Rick Ball a few years ago. Too bad he's gotta be stuck doing the Calgary games.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, the grinder said:

yea im sure tsn has that copyrighted just like Hughson classic call 'that's hockey "

Hughson is the best play by play guy in hockey bar none, without a peer. I still can't believe for a time in the mid 90's we had him all to ourselves in the early days of Sportsnet. We also had Ferraro being in the radio everyday in 1040 in the mid 2000s, man where we ever spoiled. When the Canucks were in our absolute best during 2009 - 2013, and Leafs weren't in the playoffs, nothing better than Huey being packed up in March and calling our games in April for the playoffs

16 hours ago, canucks.bradley said:

I heard on 1040 CC lives in Toronto? 

CC will probably get all major East matchups and Hughson will get West

Sounds good to me. Cuthbert does a great job, and he’s a quality broadcaster, but sometimes his high-pitched excited voice bothers my ears. At times, he kinda sounds (to me, anyway) like the play-by-play version of the Howard Dean scream:

I’ll be happy with Hughson. The East can have CC.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:48 PM, apollo said:

All these fan bases used to have pregame and post game coverage. Many of those hosts, including icons like Don Taylor lost their jobs too...  They ruined hockey coverage for anyone that's not a Leaf fan in Canada and that's a fact. We don't want to see them switch to a studio in Tarana that's talking about pretty much everything other than the Canucks game in hand

This is the main reason I detest them.  Now we have two radio stations with post game analysis, so its not too bad, but that was a low blow when they arbitrarily just cut local voices from post game TV analysis, and fed it all through the Center Of The Universe. in Toronto.  Where, they couldn't/can't get through any post Canuck game talk fast enough, or be less knowledgeable or interested in the team, in order to get back to their precious Leafs to talk about a game that happened a day or two earlier.

Yet another reason SN650 is doing so poorly locally. SN at head office in Toronto are too stupid to realize how connecting pre and post game coverage to local personalities might actually make listeners appreciate them, and respect them more and transition those fans back to the radio station of the same name.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 7:17 PM, SergioMomesso said:

I don’t mind Randorf. Distinct voice and keeps up with the play as good as most.  

Randorf and Paul Romaniuk are the absolute worst. You can tell its Randorf calling it because his play by play is bland. Id rather have Baller (Rick Ball) and have Randorf switch with him

This is great to hear. I always viewed Cuthbert as one of the most professional and dedicated broadcasters in he business.

I look forward to watching the games with him providing the play by play.

On 6/7/2020 at 4:34 AM, filthycanuck said:

Hughson is the best play by play guy in hockey bar none, without a peer. I still can't believe for a time in the mid 90's we had him all to ourselves in the early days of Sportsnet. We also had Ferraro being in the radio everyday in 1040 in the mid 2000s, man where we ever spoiled. When the Canucks were in our absolute best during 2009 - 2013, and Leafs weren't in the playoffs, nothing better than Huey being packed up in March and calling our games in April for the playoffs

In his 25th year of NHL play-by-play announcing, Mike Emrick joins the NHL on NBC as lead play-by-play commentator.

Emrick is widely considered to be the best hockey play-by-play voice on television. He has been the voice of the New Jersey Devils since 1993, and has announced NHL games for all of the major television networks. Emrick is the recipient of several awards, including the 1997 National CableACE Award for best play-by-play, the 1997 and 2004 New York Emmy Awards for his Devils telecasts, and the 2004 Lester Patrick Trophy. 

Mike "Doc" Emrick is an American Hockey Legend in the same class as Jim Hughson in many respects imo.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:55 AM, filthycanuck said:

Randorf and Paul Romaniuk are the absolute worst. You can tell its Randorf calling it because his play by play is bland. Id rather have Baller (Rick Ball) and have Randorf switch with him

Romaniuk is irritating but at least he doesn't call every game from his knees in the Oilers dressing room like Randorf.